ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Motorcycle Gear

Old July 20th, 2010, 02:16 PM   #1
Blackwidow
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Paulette

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250R

ICON brands

I was thinking of getting the icon racer leather jacket and the matching Icon crossbone helmet along with the gloves and boots. Do any of you know if Icon is a trusted brand?
Blackwidow is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 20th, 2010, 02:18 PM   #2
kkim

I'm curious as to what led you to that particular brand?
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 20th, 2010, 02:21 PM   #3
Blackwidow

i like the styles they have, its more...me, i guess. plus I was down to two choices and it was either that icon one or a power trip jacket, and seeing as i can match the entire gear up with icon, i figured i'd research "Icon".

why?

Old July 20th, 2010, 02:31 PM   #4
kkim

Icon has a identity/close relationship with stunters. Just wondered what the attraction was to that brand as I've personally never found anything that I liked from them.

Not trying to sway you one way or another... just wondered what the attraction was for you.

I've heard they make some decent gear.

Old July 20th, 2010, 02:35 PM   #5
Blackwidow

interesting. what don't you like about their style?

another major reason i'm leaning more towards the Icon is because when i do a side by side comparison with other brands, seams ICON has more padding/durability for the price.

I could be wrong, thats why i need everyones help in choosing a brand that is dependable. I AM going to fall once i get my bike, and I want to be as safe as possible.

Old July 20th, 2010, 02:38 PM   #6
kkim

If you find something you like and it has reasonable protection ability, buy it and enjoy it.

The main thing is, wear it.

Old July 20th, 2010, 03:19 PM   #7
Kitdog
ninjette.org guru

Name: Kit

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250r, 1996 Yahmaha YZ 125... Both in Blue the coolest color

I have Icon stage one jacket and love it. I think Icon is more marketed to the younger crowd and to the stunt crowd, I love their leather dragon jacket and helmet from a couple of years ago but it was steep at $600 for my wallet. But being made for stunters makes me more confident about it because the good ones wear it, and they know what it's like to bail once or one hundred times.

Old July 20th, 2010, 03:24 PM   #8
bdavison
Wartown, USA

Name: Bryan

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R SE, 2007 Ninja 650R, and assorted other bikes

When I was in Pensacola, I watched the Ill Conduct team decide to test Icon's pants on a whim because they were a sponsor.

They proceeded to attach a boating tow rope to the back end of a Buell Lightning. One of the guys sat down on the asphalt, grabbed the tow rope handle, and his buddy proceeded to click into first and hammer it, dragging his buddy down the road on his butt.

After the test, the pants showed a little fringing, but no damage.

That test convinced me that Icon definitely has some quality gear.

I've got a Icon Alliance Helmet, and Icon Gloves. I like em...never had to test them, but I trust them.
bdavison is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 20th, 2010, 03:39 PM   #9
Blackwidow

good points! thank you!

I agree, if its good enough for people that do dangerous stuff for a living, its good enough for me.

Old July 20th, 2010, 05:50 PM   #10
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
Any company that produces something as flat-out stupid as this doesn't deserve my business.

But that's just me.

adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 20th, 2010, 05:55 PM   #11
adri99an

Name: Donger

Motorcycle(s): "Is that a Ninjer 1000?"

Wow- where does the fire shoot out of?
adri99an is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 20th, 2010, 06:08 PM   #12
adouglas
Cat herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackwidow View Post
good points! thank you!

I agree, if its good enough for people that do dangerous stuff for a living, its good enough for me.
If that's the criterion, observe the brands on the gear used by those who REALLY put their lives on the line: the racers. To be sure they wear premium stuff...

Dani Pedrosa. That's an Alpinestars logo on his shoulder.

Valentino Rossi, clearly the best in the world, arguably the best of all time. That's a Dianese logo on his butt.

Old July 20th, 2010, 06:13 PM   #13
welcome2thedawn
ninjette.org guru

Name: dawn

Motorcycle(s): 08 ninja 250r modded, 73 honda cl200, 74 kawasaki 400 triple

i have the hella jacket and pants, the bombshell boots, the go go chaps, jacket, and helmet, and several pairs of their gloves...i like everything i have...i also really like the crossbone helmet and jacket, and would buy them is they didn't clash with my bike...
welcome2thedawn is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 20th, 2010, 06:15 PM   #14
bdavison
Wartown, USA

I agree, those horns are kinda goofy...but I guess some people like them. Not my cup of tea. Not any goofier than some of the other companies offerings though.

They make them for my helmet, since its an alliance speedfreak, but I have no intentions of ever getting them.

Even AGV has made some incredibly goofy ones...just check this one out that Valentino Rossi was caught wearing.

And yes.....that is a scooter he is riding.....with another GUY on the back.

Old July 20th, 2010, 06:23 PM   #15
fernieh07
ninjette.org member

Name: Fernando

Motorcycle(s): 08 ninja 250r

I have the Icon Merc textile jacket and Icon Merc leather gloves and both are great. The jacket works better than my joe rocket mesh jacket in the heat... I dont know how but it does
fernieh07 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 20th, 2010, 08:11 PM   #16
Kitdog
ninjette.org guru

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250r, 1996 Yahmaha YZ 125... Both in Blue the coolest color

The Horns come off. I have ridden with an Icon Helmet and I have to say there is no better ventilation from any other helmet I have tried. When I get a new one, Icon will be my choice. Have never cared for Alpine or others really most are overprices and have no style, if I'm going to shell out boo koo bucks for a jacket or whatever it better have style too, not just function.

Last futzed with by Kitdog; July 20th, 2010 at 09:20 PM.
Kitdog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 20th, 2010, 08:18 PM   #17
road_rascal
ninjette.org member

Name: ___

Motorcycle(s): ___

I bought an ICON mil-spec high-viz vest awhile back and it's great. I wear it over my regular riding jackets and the cagers seem to notice it a bit more than my red and silver jacket. I tend to get tailgated less when I wear the high-viz stuff. The color may not be for everybody but if it makes one cager look twice then the vest did it's job.

http://www.rideicon.com/product_deta...=3123&id=11083
road_rascal is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 20th, 2010, 08:24 PM   #18
sofo
ninjette.org guru

Name: Andrew

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by adouglas View Post
Any company that produces something as flat-out stupid as this doesn't deserve my business.

But that's just me.

That is a very ignorant attitude Andrew, hopefully it is just you as you say.

For a forum that takes so much offence to people slagging the bike we ride, this is surprising.
sofo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 20th, 2010, 09:15 PM   #19
00NissanNinja
I hate driving...

Name: S

Motorcycle(s): 13 Triumph Street Triple R, 09 Ninja 250r (Sold 4/20/12)

I think Icon makes some good gear. I like their accelerant jacket a lot and the airframe helmets are nice too. Icon definitely has some nice styling in a lot of their gear.

09 ninja 2fiddy SE Driving slow things fast
00NissanNinja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 20th, 2010, 10:14 PM   #20
GeneJunkie
ninjette.org sage

Name: Cindy

The one thing I don't like about Icon gear for women, well just the jackets, is that they tend to be cut like jackets you would wear around town, meaning the jacket isn't extended in the back. I have the Icon Pursuit jacket and when I ride the back of the jacket rides up exposing about 1-2 inches of my back when I'm leaned forward. Make sure you try the jackets on regardless of brand. Make sure you lean forward, bend your elbows as if you are riding, make sure it fits snug, etc. I just bought a Scorpion jacket for cooler riding and I enjoy my Scorpion jacket much more. The leather is softer and it's cut longer, I just feel much more protected with that jacket compared to the Icon.

Just so you know what I'm talking about, btw when I'm standing up the jacket fits perfectly (which is how I tried it on) and I didn't realize this issue until I started riding:
GeneJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 21st, 2010, 05:07 AM   #21
adouglas
Cat herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by sofo View Post
That is a very ignorant attitude Andrew, hopefully it is just you as you say.

For a forum that takes so much offence to people slagging the bike we ride, this is surprising.
Apologies.

Now just watch... in a few months Icon will come out with something unique that REALLY appeals to me and I'll wind up eating my words....

Hey, if this stuff floats your boat, go for it. Protecting yourself is the real point, not how it all looks.

PS: To the OP, the fit of the helmet is REALLY REALLY important and should IMHO be considered before you get hooked on how it looks or any particular brand. Helmets have very different shapes inside and it has to fit your head if it's going to do the job. Go try on a BUNCH of helmets without regard for the graphics and narrow it down to the ones that fit the best - no looseness ANYWHERE, without actual pain. Then look for that helmet in a pattern you like.

Old July 21st, 2010, 08:12 AM   #22
Banzai
Psychic war veteran

Name: Thomas

Motorcycle(s): Kawi Green '09 Ninja ZX6R

I prefer Icon helmets because I need a long oval headform for my big Frankenstein head, and Icon is one of the only companies that not only makes long oval sized helmets, but tells you in their sales literature! So, with fit being the single most important factor in a helmet, I have no choice but to look at Icon.

My current SpeedFreak Aliance SSR is one of the best venting helmets in the sub $200 range that I've ever owned or used, and the lining works great to wick moisture away even when it's tripple digit heat and near saturated humidity. Price point for price point and all things being equal, I'd take an Icon over a Rocket, KBC, or HJC any day.

I've had all kinds of Icon gear over the years, and I have found it to never be less than anything else out there at the same price point and much more consistent quality and sizing from piece to piece than most other manufacturers. Can't say that about many other offerings on the market.

Icon girl gear is cool, too. Some of the only stuff that's actually cut to fit girls shape and sizes!

As for what the pro racers wear, that's as much a function of income level, sponsorship, and contractual obligation with the race team as much as any personal choice on the track. It should in no way invalidate other products as somewhat lesser for any particular reason other than (insert pro racer's name here) doesn't use it.

Quote:
To the OP, the fit of the helmet is REALLY REALLY important and should IMHO be considered before you get hooked on how it looks or any particular brand. Helmets have very different shapes inside and it has to fit your head if it's going to do the job. Go try on a BUNCH of helmets without regard for the graphics and narrow it down to the ones that fit the best - no looseness ANYWHERE, without actual pain. Then look for that helmet in a pattern you like.

Good advice. Never buy a helmet without first trying it on. I've found gloves to be the same way.

Old July 21st, 2010, 08:17 AM   #23
Talonne
ninjette.org guru

Name: Jessica

Motorcycle(s): '09 Metallic Diablo Black

My boyfriend has an Icon Airframe helmet and swears by it!! Amazing ventilation, and a perfect fit for his head. He also has the Accelerant leather jacket which is another perfect, glove-like fit (and looks hot!) The leather also seems very thick and sturdy.

I have to say I've been less pleased with the women's gear... Jackets are short, as GeneJunkie mentioned above, and I am not a fan of the designs (the cartoony skull, pink/white/baby blue stars on leather, etc.) The Bombshell boots seem totally impractical as well, and that's coming from a shorty. A heel with no platform is useless.

Last futzed with by Talonne; July 23rd, 2010 at 12:43 PM.
Talonne is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 21st, 2010, 09:41 AM   #24
Blackwidow

Quote:

But that's just me.

come now, you can't blame the company for producing items that may appeal to a percentage of people. I like how they "think outside of the box", their products are unique and flashy....there is nothing wrong with that.

I've seen other brands making helmets wtih mohawks, thats as lame as this helmet....but there are folks out there that think they look cool....to each their own.

Old July 21st, 2010, 09:42 AM   #25
sofo
ninjette.org guru

I was looking at an Airframe when shopping for a new helmet last week and was really impressed by it. The construction is top-notch and they are world-standard rated. I ended up with a Scorpion EXO-750 that fit better and was lighter.

I have the ICON field armor knee / shin pads and they are very well-designed and fit better than other pads I tried. The Squad II backpack is brilliant IMO and lights up the night in mil-spec yellow.

I've yet to try any ICON jackets or pants but the new Contra is on my list to look at this fall when I will be adding a new textile jacket. The rain gear too but it's quite expensive compared to the standard Teknic gear so I dunno.

Old July 21st, 2010, 09:43 AM   #26
Blackwidow

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneJunkie View Post
The one thing I don't like about Icon gear for women, well just the jackets, is that they tend to be cut like jackets you would wear around town, meaning the jacket isn't extended in the back. I have the Icon Pursuit jacket and when I ride the back of the jacket rides up exposing about 1-2 inches of my back when I'm leaned forward. Make sure you try the jackets on regardless of brand. Make sure you lean forward, bend your elbows as if you are riding, make sure it fits snug, etc. I just bought a Scorpion jacket for cooler riding and I enjoy my Scorpion jacket much more. The leather is softer and it's cut longer, I just feel much more protected with that jacket compared to the Icon.

Just so you know what I'm talking about, btw when I'm standing up the jacket fits perfectly (which is how I tried it on) and I didn't realize this issue until I started riding:

Very good info, thank you Genejunkie....i'll make sure to get into a riding position.

EDIT: i do love the color of your jacket though

Last futzed with by Blackwidow; July 21st, 2010 at 12:44 PM. Reason: adding verbiage

Old July 21st, 2010, 09:47 AM   #27
Blackwidow

Quote:
Apologies.

PS: To the OP, the fit of the helmet is REALLY REALLY important and should IMHO be considered before you get hooked on how it looks or any particular brand. Helmets have very different shapes inside and it has to fit your head if it's going to do the job. Go try on a BUNCH of helmets without regard for the graphics and narrow it down to the ones that fit the best - no looseness ANYWHERE, without actual pain. Then look for that helmet in a pattern you like.

Good point, i'll make sure to do that....

Old July 21st, 2010, 09:49 AM   #28
ckholloway
ninjette.org member

Name: Corey

Motorcycle(s): none yet

I have an Icon jacket (hate it) quality is poor and fit is worse. I have a pair of Icon gloves (hate them) fit is fine, they fell apart with in a month. I have an Icon domain helmet (crap) padding started breaking down with in a couple months and the structure started to break down shortly after. I have several helmets from Icon to HJC and 8 or in between. I would have to say "FOR ME" scorpion is the best.

Old July 21st, 2010, 09:53 AM   #29
sofo
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Apologies.

Now just watch... in a few months Icon will come out with something unique that REALLY appeals to me and I'll wind up eating my words....

Hey, if this stuff floats your boat, go for it. Protecting yourself is the real point, not how it all looks.
No worries, the paint job and horns obscure the fact that the helmet they are slathered on is very well-made and has world-standard safety certifications which is quite impressive. Most domestic companies and even the fancy Asian helmets are opting for SNELL-only in North America. I don't favor any brand including ICON but in the past few years they are really stepping up the quality and safety of their gear which has earned my respect and dollars on a few items.

Besides, the wacky graphics like this remind me of Ed "Big Daddy" Roth's art which always puts a smile on my face.

Quote:
I'd add that you should also spend more than 5 minutes or so in the one or two helmets you narrow down to after trying a few on, including sitting on a bike and moving your head around. Any good shop and sales guy will encourage you to do this and also help to make sure the fit is good. Also try working the vents and other switchgear on the helmet to make sure you can operate them well since some are cheap and hard to work.

Then once you find the one you like - BREAK IT IN - before you go riding for two hours.

Just sit on the couch wearing it for 15 minutes, take it off for a half hour, put it back on for 15 minutes and repeat again. It starts the process of molding the liner to your noggin so when you take it out for the first ride it will fit better and you won't be thinking about it as much as navigating the roads.

Old July 21st, 2010, 09:56 AM   #30
sofo
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckholloway View Post
I have an Icon jacket (hate it) quality is poor and fit is worse. I have a pair of Icon gloves (hate them) fit is fine, they fell apart with in a month. I have an Icon domain helmet (crap) padding started breaking down with in a couple months and the structure started to break down shortly after. I have several helmets from Icon to HJC and 8 or in between. I would have to say "FOR ME" scorpion is the best.
I'm damn impressed with Scorpion helmets and also have a pair of the Deuce pants. Which helmet do you have? I lusted over the EXO-1000 with the internal tinted visor for a while.

Old July 21st, 2010, 10:03 AM   #31
Kitdog
ninjette.org guru

That is the one thing that is very important about gear make sure it fits well... even if the brands are different, I have Joe rocket gloves, a KBC helmet, Icon jacket and am going to go and try a Icon field armor vest today (too hot for the jacket with the temps hitting 100+ and probably 110+ on the blacktop) just be sure the fit is good above all else, especially the helmet, I cant use some they just don't fit my big melon.

Old July 21st, 2010, 10:30 AM   #32
BIGT94z
ninjette.org member

Name: b

Motorcycle(s): 2008 ninja 250r

Quote:
Originally Posted by sofo View Post
I'm damn impressed with Scorpion helmets and also have a pair of the Deuce pants. Which helmet do you have? I lusted over the EXO-1000 with the internal tinted visor for a while.
i agree with this. i love the scorpion helmets best bang for the buck helmets on the market right now imo. im not a fan of icon. i just dont like there helemts or jackets (have tried on both) there gloves however seem to be decent. im a huge fan of shift. both the quality and comfort is top notch imo one of the best in all the brands i have tried on/worn. my advice to you is to just go find a local gear shop and check stuff out in person while trying stuff on your like. you will find out fast what works for you and what doesnt
BIGT94z is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 21st, 2010, 10:59 AM   #33
bdavison
Wartown, USA

Quote:
Then once you find the one you like - BREAK IT IN - before you go riding for two hours.

Just sit on the couch wearing it for 15 minutes, take it off for a half hour, put it back on for 15 minutes and repeat again. It starts the process of molding the liner to your noggin so when you take it out for the first ride it will fit better and you won't be thinking about it as much as navigating the roads.
I agree with this...perhaps not the method, but it does need to be broken in....

If you've been wearing the same helmet for the last 5 years and are getting a replacement. The first time you go ride in it....its gonna feel funny. And in getting used to the new helmet its a safety risk for your first few rides, because of the distraction.

Anything you can do to break in the helmet is a good idea.

Also, saying I "like" a helmet is useless. I "like" Scorpion helmets, but the fact that they fit my head like a torture device makes them not suitable for me.
Fit first....like second.

Old July 21st, 2010, 11:02 AM   #34
sofo
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdavison View Post
I agree with this...perhaps not the method, but it does need to be broken in....

If you've been wearing the same helmet for the last 5 years and are getting a replacement. The first time you go ride in it....its gonna feel funny. And in getting used to the new helmet its a safety risk for your first few rides, because of the distraction.

Anything you can do to break in the helmet is a good idea.
Do you have another method in mind? I'm curious about stuff like this since it is an on-going learning process. Kinda fun in a weird OCD way too.

Old July 21st, 2010, 12:44 PM   #35
Blackwidow

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGT94z View Post
im not a fan of icon. i just dont like there helemts or jackets (have tried on both) there gloves however seem to be decent.
What don't you like about them?

Old July 21st, 2010, 01:02 PM   #36
kkim

helmet shape info...
http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcyc...met-shapes.htm

Old July 21st, 2010, 01:05 PM   #37
00NissanNinja
I hate driving...

Name: S

Motorcycle(s): 13 Triumph Street Triple R, 09 Ninja 250r (Sold 4/20/12)

I don't like ICON's gloves however. I used to have some of the merc gloves and my hands were sore after every ride. Now I have some a* gp-plus gloves and those are awesome and really comfortable. Only thing I have from ICON are their knee and shin guards which fit really well and better then quite a few other knee and shin guards. I believe what it really comes down to is if the gear fits you well and you like it's looks, as others have said make sure the gear fits well then get a style you like.

09 ninja 2fiddy SE Driving slow things fast
00NissanNinja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 21st, 2010, 02:25 PM   #38
Kitdog
ninjette.org guru

Speaking of ICON i went to my local motorcycle store today and got this. because the heat is getting to be killer around here and I have not been wearing my jacket like a good boy.

The guy at the shop gave it to me for $70 because the paint had been smeared on the back shield during manufacture (not to bad though just a little). fits really well and will be more likely to wear it in the 100+ temps of july

Old July 21st, 2010, 02:33 PM   #39
Blackwidow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitdog View Post

do you wear elbow protectors with that?
But i've seen so many guys wear those, i just wonder how that protection would actually be acceptable.

I've seen some girl on a ninja wearing daisy dukes and a tank top...over the tank top she wore that protector and on her knees she wore the knee pads. Just wonder how your skin would be protected if you do happen to fall.

Old July 21st, 2010, 02:50 PM   #40
bdavison
Wartown, USA

Your skin wouldnt be protected with that vest.....
That vest will protect your torso from impacts, and maybe a little road rash....but other than that....not much else.

Your elbows, hands, and shoulders would still take a nasty hit.

As far as how to break in a helmet......

What I usually do is hop in the shower, wash my hair....then put baby shampoo on my head, lather up my hair real good, then put helmet on in the shower. Scrub head with helmet. Then go for a 20 min ride with it still damp. Come back, remove liner, rinse, and let it air-dry.

This accomplishes a bunch of things. I get real nice hair, it cleans the liner, it molds it to my head, and the helmet smells great for months.

Dont use anything other than baby shampoo.....its safe for the liner and the helmet, and if it gets in your eyes while riding, it wont sting like acid.