ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old February 26th, 2012, 09:04 PM   #1
shawnr93
ninjette.org member

Name: shawn

Motorcycle(s): None yet

Soon to purchase Ninja 250. HELP!

So im looking into buying the 2012 ninja 250. i have just enough to get it so i might as well. i leave for the Army in 5 months so im just looking for something good and cheap for the time being. Problem is, with it being a smaller engine compared to the 600's or 750's, i was whondering how the power and top speed be affected with my size? or if i should even get it? im about 6 foot and 240 lbs. i wouldnt have time to save for a 600 and am not interested in spending that much. So input on if i should get it or not and the pros and cons would be great!

Thanks!
shawnr93 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 26th, 2012, 09:08 PM   #2
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Some relevant threads.

Sigh, am I too big??!?

Am I too big for an 08+ ninja 250

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 26th, 2012, 09:09 PM   #3
saxnbass
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): 2009 CBR600rr

You should do fine on it, to be honest. I know we have some forum members that are that size and don't have any issues.

Funny you only ever hear this about motorcycles. Nobody ever goes and says "I'm 6"3' and weigh 270lbs. Do you think a Honda Civic is too small for me?"
saxnbass is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 26th, 2012, 09:19 PM   #4
shawnr93
ninjette.org member

Thanks, reading those threads helped.

and haha yea thats right. IDK i just didnt want it to seem like a giant riding a baby's bicycle. plus i didnt want to go only 55 with the throttle wide open.

Also another question, how long can i ride the thing straight? i plan on a 4 hour ride to the other coast of florida after i get it and am curious how long can i ride it straight before it needs a "cool down"?

Old February 26th, 2012, 09:23 PM   #5
shawnr93
ninjette.org member

also ive heard there are different models of the 250 ninja? whats the difference?

Old February 26th, 2012, 10:07 PM   #6
shawnr93
ninjette.org member

i plan on getting protective gear, just didnt know it was so involved with the Army! and i wont be able to bring my vehichle to base for about 8 months.

Wish it wasnt so expensive to buy gear.

Old February 26th, 2012, 11:27 PM   #7
Kstorm21
ninjette.org sage

Name: Katherine

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnr93 View Post
i plan on getting protective gear, just didnt know it was so involved with the Army! and i wont be able to bring my vehichle to base for about 8 months.

Wish it wasnt so expensive to buy gear.
You can find gear that is good quality at a lower price. Check out Motorcycle Superstore, Revzilla.com, or Iron Pony Motorsports.

They all have good prices and you can find stuff in their closeout section. The last one has awesome deals on A*. Spending a couple hundred (or more) dollars on gear is well worth it compared to hospital bills or your life.
Kstorm21 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 27th, 2012, 12:11 AM   #8
ajcadoo
Towster ['__'`,-,

Name: Josh

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Green Ninja 250 SE

Gear can cost up to $1000. Make sure to budget accordingly. Buying used will definitely save money too.
ajcadoo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 27th, 2012, 12:15 AM   #9
ajcadoo
Towster ['__'`,-,

Name: Josh

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Green Ninja 250 SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by trixter View Post
not if you buy in the off season, although that time is quickly passing especially here with the light winter.
Well it also depends on what you get, where you get it, etc etc. I have heard the rule of thumb is to budget $1000. For all my stuff, it was about $750.
ajcadoo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 27th, 2012, 07:06 AM   #10
shawnr93
ninjette.org member

yea i plan on gettting some good equipment just a matter of when.

Also, you think if i buy the 250 cash on the spot, i can get it for $4,000 rather than $4,200?

Old February 27th, 2012, 07:36 AM   #11
koenigcitizen
Russian Ninja :)

Name: Andrei

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Triumph Street Triple R, 2009 Yamaha FZ6, 2010 Kawi 250r (sold)

Quote:
T plus i didnt want to go only 55 with the throttle wide open.
Your weight will not affect top speed. If your bike can go 100 mph an hour with someone who is 150lb, it will go 100 mph with you on it. It will just take you longer to get there. Weight only affects acceleration.

Quote:
Also another question, how long can i ride the thing straight? i plan on a 4 hour ride to the other coast of florida after i get it and am curious how long can i ride it straight before it needs a "cool down"?
You will need a "cool down" way before the little Ninja, trust me. Those things can go all day, but you will need a "cool down" (rest, stretch) every 100-130 miles or so

I am 6'1" and around 215lb. I have no problems with the bike

Old February 27th, 2012, 07:46 AM   #12
shawnr93
ninjette.org member

These posts have helped me out alot. Now im very eager to get my 250! hopefully im on the 2 week countdown to be a proud owner of a 250!!!!

Old February 27th, 2012, 07:51 AM   #13
shawnr93
ninjette.org member

Also quick question: Whats the difference in the ninja SE and the regular ninja for sale on the Kawasaki website?!?

Old February 27th, 2012, 07:52 AM   #14
koenigcitizen

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Triumph Street Triple R, 2009 Yamaha FZ6, 2010 Kawi 250r (sold)

Quote:
These posts have helped me out alot. Now im very eager to get my 250! hopefully im on the 2 week countdown to be a proud owner of a 250!!!!
Just to give you an idea of proportions. Again, I am 6'1'' with some extra weight on me (about 210lb in this pic).

I dont think the bike looks too small for me

Old February 27th, 2012, 07:54 AM   #15
koenigcitizen

Quote:
Also quick question: Whats the difference in the ninja SE and the regular ninja for sale on the Kawasaki website?!?
SE is special edition.

Regular would be just plain color (like red, green, black).

SE will have a little something to it.
Like checkers on the green bike, black splashes on the white bike (2011, IIRC), and like my bike (see above): It is 2010 special edition. It is black and red, with white tribal tattoo on the side

It is just cosmetic. No performance difference

Old February 27th, 2012, 07:54 AM   #16
shawnr93
ninjette.org member

ah looks very good! im stoked!

Old February 27th, 2012, 07:58 AM   #17
shawnr93
ninjette.org member

oh ok cuz its a couple hundred dollars difference and i might not even have enough to get the bike for $4,200. hoping i can get a deal if i buy it out right on the spot.

Old February 27th, 2012, 08:05 AM   #18
koenigcitizen

Quote:
oh ok cuz its a couple hundred dollars difference and i might not even have enough to get the bike for $4,200. hoping i can get a deal if i buy it out right on the spot.
Those 250s are hot bikes, and in my experience, dealers do not give breaks on MSRPs. The best bet is that they will give you discount on gear if you buy from them, and maybe free labor to install some mods or something.

I would say that SE is NOT worth the extra money (just an opinion). I bought mine used, it just happened to be SE, I was not looking for one specifically.

I am sorry, if I missed it from your post, is this your first motorcycle? I know you are anxious to get it, but I would recommend to see if you can find it used. You would save a lot of money, and you wont lose much when you sell it (these bikes hold their value very well).

Keep in mind, you will need extra money for gear, registration, insurance, etc

Old February 27th, 2012, 08:18 AM   #19
shawnr93
ninjette.org member

yea this would be my frist bike. i just got off the phone with my local dealer and with taxes and everything the $4,200 turns into $5,300 after all taxes!

Old February 27th, 2012, 08:21 AM   #20
shawnr93
ninjette.org member

i feel i wont have enough to purchase registration, insurqance, gear, and also my motorcycle license!!

Old February 27th, 2012, 08:27 AM   #21
koenigcitizen

Quote:
yea this would be my frist bike. i just got off the phone with my local dealer and with taxes and everything the $4,200 turns into $5,300 after all taxes!
I am not surprised.
Used is definitely a way to go. Maybe even a pregen. You can get a very nice bike for around 3K. Or maybe even 2K if it has some cosmetic imperfections.

As a new rider, you are VERY likely to drop your bike (I hope you dont, but the odds are against you), so buying used helps. It would suck to drop a brand new bike with 20 miles on it.

Old February 27th, 2012, 11:32 AM   #22
shawnr93
ninjette.org member

yea thats true. but im afraid of mechanical problems buying used, or if the bike is used to be ridden by a lighter rider, how will it be affected with a heavier rider?

Im starting to consider used, but would be nice to have something brand new to call my own.

Old February 27th, 2012, 11:35 AM   #23
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by koenigcitizen View Post
Your weight will not affect top speed. If your bike can go 100 mph an hour with someone who is 150lb, it will go 100 mph with you on it. It will just take you longer to get there. Weight only affects acceleration.
Well, sort of. Academically, yes. Given everything else is held equal, increasing weight alone will have a minimal affect on top speed, acceleration is where it is felt. But on a motorcycle, the size of the rider is often a large input to the aerodynamic drag, and that is what is providing that limiting factor at top speed. A smaller rider that can tuck further and be more aerodynamic, will have a faster top speed (and better fuel economy) than a larger rider. And weight is often proportional to size.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)

Old February 27th, 2012, 11:48 AM   #24
shawnr93
ninjette.org member

im leaning towards used. ive seen some 250s in my are from $2,000-$6,000 so theres a few in my price range.

I can just put i bought it for $500 from a friend, or i can even say it was gifted. ( never registered a vehichle before so i could write it as gifted).

Old February 27th, 2012, 11:58 AM   #25
shawnr93
ninjette.org member

i see.. yea the guy said if i come in, he might be able to get it for me for $4,800 but thats still $800 too high out of my budget. Maybe i need to wait another month or so to collect more money, but from all these posts, i think im going used.

Old February 27th, 2012, 12:01 PM   #26
shawnr93
ninjette.org member

I just need to win the lotto, or get a 250 gifted to me.

Old February 27th, 2012, 12:19 PM   #27
koenigcitizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
Well, sort of. Academically, yes. Given everything else is held equal, increasing weight alone will have a minimal affect on top speed, acceleration is where it is felt. But on a motorcycle, the size of the rider is often a large input to the aerodynamic drag, and that is what is providing that limiting factor at top speed. A smaller rider that can tuck further and be more aerodynamic, will have a faster top speed (and better fuel economy) than a larger rider. And weight is often proportional to size.
You are right, but it has to be a really big and heavy guy. For the argument and buying decision purposes, I would say, that the top speed difference can be ignored between a slim guy who weighs 165 and a heavier guy who is 220.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trixter View Post

If you buy from a private party you will still have to go to DMV and register it. They may assess a tax as well (percentage of the reported sale price).
That is correct. If you buy a used bike, and you dont have a bill of sale, they will tax it based on Blue Book Value of your bike. At least in MD. happened to me. I didnt think to get a bill of sale from the guy I bought the bike from, and I got hit with taxes. I paid $3000 for the bike, and they taxed me as if I bought it for $3400.

Quote:
yea thats true. but im afraid of mechanical problems buying used,

Im starting to consider used, but would be nice to have something brand new to call my own.
I had no idea about bikes, and I am very mechanically challenged. I bought my bike on ebay. Dont buy "fixeruppers". Dont buy if they are badly scratched. Dont buy too old, or with too many miles. Leave that to people who know their bikes. It will be a little on the expensive side, but still WAAAAY cheaper than buying new.

I was lucky to find a 2010 Ninja with 900 miles on it. Not a single scratch. Even without any technical knowledge, I could tell it was in perfect shape.
I bought my bike for $3000.

Old February 27th, 2012, 12:30 PM   #28
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by koenigcitizen View Post
You are right, but it has to be a really big and heavy guy. For the argument and buying decision purposes, I would say, that the top speed difference can be ignored between a slim guy who weighs 165 and a heavier guy who is 220.
You might be surprised. The difference between that 165 pound guy and that 220 pound guy might be as much as 5 mph on the top end of our bikes. Just changing the angle of how your helmet is hitting the airflow can nudge things a mph or two in either direction. There's also a noticeable difference on how form fitting the gear is. Even the same size riders will have different aerodynamic profiles in a loose-fitting touring jacket, compared to a more form-fitting leather one-piece, and the top speed in the exact same position will be different.

That said - you're also right, for the purposes of this thread, these differences would be unlikely to point to a different buying decision. Someone of the OP's size can very easily get the bike to go plenty fast to run safely with any traffic situation in the US.

Old February 27th, 2012, 12:47 PM   #29
koenigcitizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
You might be surprised. The difference between that 165 pound guy and that 220 pound guy might be as much as 5 mph on the top end of our bikes. Just changing the angle of how your helmet is hitting the airflow can nudge things a mph or two in either direction. There's also a noticeable difference on how form fitting the gear is. Even the same size riders will have different aerodynamic profiles in a loose-fitting touring jacket, compared to a more form-fitting leather one-piece, and the top speed in the exact same position will be different.
Good point. And I will be the first one to admit, you are way more knowledgeable about this than I am. Good info here

Quote:
That said - you're also right, for the purposes of this thread, these differences would be unlikely to point to a different buying decision. Someone of the OP's size can very easily get the bike to go plenty fast to run safely with any traffic situation in the US.
Yes, thats basically what I was trying to point out. That should not be a reason for NOT getting a 250.

Old February 27th, 2012, 07:12 PM   #30
shawnr93
ninjette.org member

So i decided to buy used and i got an offer for a 2007 Hyosung 250 for 1800... never heard of that brand so how is it?

Old February 27th, 2012, 07:25 PM   #31
shawnr93
ninjette.org member

yea a guy e-mailed me adn said he would take $1800 for it.. thought it was a little fishy since it was a low price but what do i know?

also i have to take the course in order to ride a motorcycle in my state its required. but i would want the bike first so i dont end up spending $250 on a license and not having enough to get the bike i want.

I found a website off here for gear thats low price and ill deffinately be getting the full get up for my ride!

Old February 27th, 2012, 07:27 PM   #32
shawnr93
ninjette.org member

also its under 1,000 miles.

Old February 27th, 2012, 08:21 PM   #33
shawnr93
ninjette.org member

yea ill do that. also ill bring my father along, hes riden motorcycles his whole life had a cbr back before i was born so hes familiar with sportbikes.

Old February 29th, 2012, 02:10 PM   #34
Kstorm21
ninjette.org sage

Saw this today and thought about you....not sure if you have a jacket yet and if you are picky on what it looks like...

FirstGear Venture AT Jacket

$54 helmet

Old February 29th, 2012, 03:35 PM   #35
str8t six
never enough

Name: josh

Motorcycle(s): Blue 2010 ninja 250R

Buy one that is used. It's cheaper and you don't have to do the engine break in procedure. I got my 2010 with 2300 miles on it for $2500. You can put the extra money for better gear and mods if you wish.

custom graphics, zero gravity DB
str8t six is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 29th, 2012, 03:52 PM   #36
Kstorm21
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by str8t six View Post
Buy one that is used. It's cheaper and you don't have to do the engine break in procedure. I got my 2010 with 2300 miles on it for $2500. You can put the extra money for better gear and mods if you wish.
+1

Old February 29th, 2012, 06:01 PM   #37
shawnr93
ninjette.org member

yea but it is so hard to find a cheap newer 250 for like $2500 (talk em down to 2K cash) in my area. id like an 08 or newer and i leave for the military in 4 months and really want to see family all over the state before i leave.

Old February 29th, 2012, 06:02 PM   #38
shawnr93
ninjette.org member

if i could get it for cheap id have money for my gear and my license. im only 18 and have not much saved up. just got a job but wont pay enough.

Old March 1st, 2012, 09:00 AM   #39
koenigcitizen

Quote:
yea ill do that. also ill bring my father along, hes riden motorcycles his whole life had a cbr back before i was born so hes familiar with sportbikes.
Make sure the VIN matches on the frame of the bike with whats on the title!
Very important, ask me how I know.

Old March 1st, 2012, 08:26 PM   #40
shawnr93
ninjette.org member

looks like im not getting my ninja, or any bike for that matter. guess these last 4 months before i ship off to the military will have to be enjoyed somehow without transportation.