ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Notices

Old September 4th, 2014, 12:06 AM   #1
GunnaBoyEB
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Carter

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Kawasaki Ninja EX250

2006 Ninja 250 High Idle RPM

Hey folks,

So I am new to the motorcycle world and have acquired a 06 Ninja to commute to work and just ride around on. I am really enjoying myself thus far but there's a nagging issue with the bike that I am at a loss about (and all of my friends/coworkers are too.)

After riding around a bit (warm up) and coming to a stop light, the bike will idle at about 3k - 4k RPMs. Just sitting at the light not touching anything, clutch in, irrelevant of gear or neutral. I have played with the throttle, as if to close it with no change in RPMs. The choke is not engaged at all, I've messed with that too while sitting there. Idle knob has been tinkered with quite a bit but I am not an expert so I am not even sure if it has been done right. I know you have to warm the bike up and then adjust to the proper RPM (1k - 1.5k ish) which I have done.

The only time I can get the idle RPM to come down is if I let the gear catch a little, bring the RPMs down (due to gear catch) and then pull in the clutch at the normal idle range of 1.2k~.

Bikes condition: It sat for a while I know, but I have filled up the fuel tank a few times already and I have run out of gas once (sans reserve.) Less than 5k miles (yes, less than 5k on an 8 year old bike.) I put seafoam into this current tank to see if that would clear anything up and it hasn't made a difference that I can tell. I have noticed that in the fuel line right off the tank there is some air bubbles in the line at lower RPMs. I also witnessed some what appears to be "spitting" near that same clear gas line. I cannot see the drops or where they come from, but I can see them hitting the hot metal and evaporate away.

The carburetor has been replaced entirely recently and the air filter was replaced prior to my owning the bike, but at this point I'll check anything. I just don't know where to start and my tools/funds/knowledge are limited as I am pretty new at this and I do not have a huge tool collection. Any help would be appreciated. Sorry for the lengthy post but I am stumped and just do not know where to go with this. If you need anymore information I'll do my best to supply it.

Thanks!
GunnaBoyEB is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 4th, 2014, 07:44 AM   #2
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Check the clamps around the carbs. Climbing RPMs, and RPMs that fall slowly when the throttle is closed, is typically a sign of a vacuum leak.

After snugging the clamps, you can spray some carb cleaner around the boots at idle to see if you hear a change in RPMs - which would mean there's still a leak.

Have you checked the air filter? If not, just confirm it's clean and in-place.

Are the caps removed from the idle mixture screws on the bottom of the carbs (hopefully)? If so, check their adjustment. They should be close to 2 1/2 turns out. If it hasn't been checked recently I would make sure the carbs are synced before digging in too deep.

Check that the throttle cable has the appropriate slack at the grip, and manually rotate the cam on the carb (where the cables run to) backwards firmly when it's high-idling to see if it changes.

Run 87 octane without ethanol, or the lowest grade you can get without ethanol. That will also effect the mixture, making it richer than gas with ethanol. Do all of your tuning with fresh gas of the same type you will be using consistently.
jkv45 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 4th, 2014, 09:41 AM   #3
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Welcome Carter! Hope with help here and there, you get your bike sorted.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 4th, 2014, 10:06 AM   #4
GunnaBoyEB
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Carter

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Kawasaki Ninja EX250

Thank you!

I hope I can get this bike squared away. I got it for a steal (800$) and with so few miles. Would hate to see it goto waste.
GunnaBoyEB is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 4th, 2014, 10:30 AM   #5
xorbe
ninjette.org guru

Name: xorbe

Motorcycle(s): N650 (and others)

Mist carb cleaner around the intake boots, does it idle up due to possible leak? Also, I too scored a 2006 with just 5K miles, and it was in dire need of exhaust valve adjustment which lowered my idle rpms from 2.5 to 1.3
xorbe is offline   Reply With Quote