Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Ride Reports

Old September 14th, 2014, 11:22 PM   #1
NevadaWolf
Certified looney toon

Name: Teri

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250, 102k+ miles -- 2014 CB500X, 42k+ miles

MOTM Jul '13, Jul '14
Goat roads and Sierra circles

No really plan today so called up my LD friend, Greg, to see if he wanted to go riding. Of course, that was a very silly question.

Headed into Carson on Friday and decided to take Six Mile Canyon road. The canyon was empty of most traffic and I sailed along smoothly. As I entered Virginia City, a herd of mustangs was hanging out next to the stop sign. Pulled up and admired the horses. However, when I lifted the chin bar, I scared the crap out of them. I could hear them screaming in panic as they ran: "The monster just ripped its own face off! Run!! We're going to die!!"

Poor horses.

The next morning over I-80 through Truckee before taking off on a nicely twisty Hwy 20 to connect up with Hwy 49. BRRRR it was cold going over Donner Summit! As I was entering Grass Valley and looking around for the road I was told to take, I see a bike on the side of the road. Greg was waiting and took the lead to show me a good local restaurant for breakfast.

I'll admit, I have no clue where we went afterwards. All I know is it was one twisty road after another. And California seems to give up on grading backcountry roads as they just lay a strip of asphalt over the land without bothering to flatten out the various bumps and elevation changes.

Epic doesn't begin to cover it.

We did pass by a beautiful covered bridge before Greg let me lead up the other side of the canyon. I was able to really practice the late apex technique and never once scared myself my taking a corner too hot while being able to maintain what felt like a quick speed to me. I think all day we averaged a steady 50-55 MPH.

On the way back to Grass Valley, we spotted a huge column of smoke and pulled over to fuel up with gas and food. The smoke was from the Dog Bar Fire and was in my way of getting south. So Greg led me on more twisty roads to go around the fire and we parted ways just north of Auburn.

Heading south, I got caught in traffic with the temps reading 102*. While sitting there, a Harley sailed on by splitting the lane. Followed the traffic to the next light and gathered enough courage to try it. OMG please don't hit me, please don't hit me... I survived!! I split traffic!

Headed further south along Hwy 49, a delightful twisty road that winds up and down through the hills and snakes between the trees. Reached Placerville and it dawned on me I was further north than I thought. Scrapped the idea of taking Hwy 4 over the mountain and just turned and went to Tahoe via Hwy 50 then on towards Carson down Spooner Summit.

Sunday, still had no plans so arranged to meet my Mom for dinner which left all day for riding. Headed up to Virginia City to warm up on the truck route, only to see it was completely closed off! Oh, the Virginia City Hillclimb is today! So, just went up the main route and down Geiger Grade.

Letting the wheels decide the route, I continued on up to Mount Rose, stopping at an overlook often missed due to not really being signed and the ski lift unneeded in summer. But it does offer an unbelievable view of the valleys below.

Further up, pulled over again at the Mount Rose overlook for some pictures of Tahoe. Mark Twain said it best when he wrote: "...at last the Lake burst upon us--a noble sheet of blue water lifted six thousand three hundred feet above the level of the sea, and walled in by a rim of snow-clad mountain peaks that towered aloft full three thousand feet higher still! It was a vast oval, and one would have to use up eighty or a hundred good miles in traveling around it. As it lay there with the shadows of the mountains brilliantly photographed upon its still surface I thought it must surely be the fairest picture the whole earth affords."

I rode around the east side of the lake that surprisingly had little traffic. The day was perfect, bright sunshine, light wind, blue sky, and white clouds. I kept going to Hope Valley and took more pictures.

Down into Carson Valley for lunch, then back up Spooner Summit to head to my Mom's. As I crested the summit, I saw a massive wall of smoke covering the west shore. WTH?! I was just up here two hours ago and there was no smoke!! The King Fire had exploded from 100 acres to over a thousand and it was growing! The entire west side of the lake was covered in smoke!

Finished my ride to my Mom's, enjoyed their company for the evening, then headed home in the dark. The smoke was thick enough I was coughing, but the cruise down the mountain was smooth and quick and ended the day on a good note.

Link to original page on YouTube.

Hold yourself to the same rules you expect others to follow.

Last futzed with by NevadaWolf; September 22nd, 2014 at 05:57 PM.
NevadaWolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 15th, 2014, 05:50 AM   #2
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 15th, 2014, 08:13 AM   #3
EternalNewb
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: S

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250R, 2007 Ninja 650R, 2001 F650 Dakar

Very nice!
EternalNewb is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 16th, 2014, 11:57 AM   #4
NevadaWolf
Certified looney toon

MOTM Jul '13, Jul '14
Thank you! It was a really fun day and definitely glad I got out to do some riding with him before the smoke swallowed the area. Bleh

Old September 16th, 2014, 12:18 PM   #5
allanoue
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Al

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300..............2008 Ninja 500-sold...2009 Ninja 250-Crashed

MOTM - Sep '14
thanks for the picks
and
bleh is right on huge wildfires

Keep calm and ride on -Motofool
Never quit on a rainy day -ally99
allanoue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 22nd, 2014, 05:58 PM   #6
NevadaWolf
Certified looney toon

MOTM Jul '13, Jul '14
Yay! Video included in the OP.