ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old June 28th, 2011, 02:59 PM   #1
cuong-nutz
RIP Alex

Name: Cuong

Motorcycle(s): '10 250r, '09 265r

Front end diving too much when braking

I'm new to the early gen Ninja's but does the front end suppose to dive a lot when you brake? It's a 2007 and the rear end has been lowered for the previous owner who was a short lady. It had only 1800 miles when I bought it.

I'm use to my new gen 250 and it's a total night and day difference between the two bikes as far as front suspension. When I was braking from 40 mph to a stop, it felt like I was about to go over the handle bars and this was not hard braking. The fork seals are in relatively new condition it seems and I don't see any oil buildup or leaks.

Old June 28th, 2011, 03:57 PM   #2
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
they say this is "normal" for the pregen. i guess as long as it doesn't bottom out you should be fine? you could try upping the fork oil weight or adding preload spacers

Old June 28th, 2011, 05:40 PM   #3
greg737
-

Name: -

Motorcycle(s): -

That's a design feature, not a malfunction....

I think the problem here is that you're aware of how a sport-type motorcycle suspension is supposed to feel (and there's no doubt that the pre-gen EX-250 does not feel anything like a sport-bike).

A bit of work and some dollars can completely remedy this designed-in suspension weakness. A few tried-and-true modifications can give you a pre-gen EX-250 that feels well balanced and agile. These mods are well documented in the "how-to" FAQ pages of this website and also the other main EX-250 website.

Or you can save your time and money and just endure the floppy, limp-noodle handling. Whenever you pull the brake lever or transition into or out of a corner you'll just have to imagine all that money you saved by not upgrading. Or you can imagine that you're an extremely skilled rider because you can handle a non-upgraded EX-250 suspension (this method has the advantage of being an ego-enhancing bit of "personal mythology" which is probably good for your overall mental health).
greg737 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 28th, 2011, 05:43 PM   #4
CmichRider
ninjette.org member

Name: Jacob

Motorcycle(s): 2000 Ninja 250

I had the same thoughts, so I posted a thread on this not too long ago.

Lots of great info on fork dive and braking here-
http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=76918
CmichRider is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 28th, 2011, 05:58 PM   #5
cuong-nutz
RIP Alex

Name: Cuong

Motorcycle(s): '10 250r, '09 265r

thanks for the help guys. I had no idea that it was really soft. Is it possible to swap the forks out for those on the new gen to remedy this?

Old June 28th, 2011, 06:06 PM   #6
kkim

http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/Front_suspension_upgrades
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 9th, 2011, 02:01 PM   #7
coondog
ninjette.org sage

Name: john

Motorcycle(s): 2005 ninja 250 street fighter, 2008 street fighter ninja 500, 2001 nsr 125

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuong-nutz View Post
thanks for the help guys. I had no idea that it was really soft. Is it possible to swap the forks out for those on the new gen to remedy this?
Better to swap out with ex500 ninja springs, $75 delivered (new) and you can change your fork earl at same time.
coondog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 9th, 2011, 02:40 PM   #8
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
have you tried applying the front brakes slower? or "smoother" as some might put it?

Old July 9th, 2011, 06:16 PM   #9
sombo
Newb..... on a steeek! :D

Name: Mike

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Harley Davidson XL883L Sportster Superlow

Just do what I did. I replaced the springs with progressive springs from racetech. OMG what difference they make. Trust me, you won't regret it.
sombo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 9th, 2011, 08:18 PM   #10
choneofakind
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
I went with the ex500 springs method. also, when I had the shop do my fork seals over the winter, I had them do heavier fork oil at the same time. what a difference in handling and front end feel. If you upgrade the front though, it really shines light on the really soft shock
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 10th, 2011, 10:40 AM   #11
Snake

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 05 Blue Ninja 250

MOTY - 2017, MOTM - Jan '19, Oct '16, May '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by sombo View Post
Just do what I did. I replaced the springs with progressive springs from racetech. OMG what difference they make. Trust me, you won't regret it.
How much did they cost and do you have a link?
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 10th, 2011, 12:56 PM   #12
sombo

This page shows the different products they have for our bikes. Also at the top there's a big link that brings up a spring rate calculator. Use that to find the springs they have and the prices. Overall they range about $110 - $125 for the springs.

Old July 10th, 2011, 01:25 PM   #13
GeorgeRYoung
ninjette.org member

Name: George

Motorcycle(s): EX250, C10 Concours

If you're really frugal (cheap), you can increase the spring rate by cutting the stock spring shorter and adding a spacer. For example, if you chop 8 of the 32 coils, you end up with a spring rate of 0.440 * 32 / (32 - 8) = 0.587 kg/mm.
GeorgeRYoung is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 10th, 2011, 01:30 PM   #14
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeRYoung View Post
If you're really frugal (cheap), you can increase the spring rate by cutting the stock spring shorter and adding a spacer. For example, if you chop 8 of the 32 coils, you end up with a spring rate of 0.440 * 32 / (32 - 8) = 0.587 kg/mm.
are you sure? without progressive springs, i don't think that would increase the spring rate but rather decrease your total travel while keeping the same spring rate... you would bottom out quicker/easier. i think the math you provided is correct if you don't cut the spring but instead add the preload spacers that take up the length of those 8 coils.

Old July 10th, 2011, 04:21 PM   #15
sombo

Quote:
This is a flawed idea. Many have tried and few have liked it. It does NOT, I repeat does NOT increase the spring rate. What it really does is cause the springs to max out quicker. You are MUCH better off doing it the right way with better springs.

Old July 10th, 2011, 04:35 PM   #16
Snake

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 05 Blue Ninja 250

MOTY - 2017, MOTM - Jan '19, Oct '16, May '14
Thanks for the info sombo I appreciate it.
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 10th, 2011, 05:53 PM   #17
GeorgeRYoung
ninjette.org member

Name: George

Motorcycle(s): EX250, C10 Concours

Ah, well, here's a reference:
http://www.calsci.com/motorcycleinfo/Suspension2.html
GeorgeRYoung is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 10th, 2011, 06:37 PM   #18
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
Quote:
Hmm... it presents a valid point i hadn't thought about before that the springs can compress to the point where they don't allow any more compression because each coil is pushed against the next... if this length is less than your travel length, your spring 'bottoms out' before the fork itself does. but regardless its not simply cutting the spring and replacing that chop with a spacer, he's adding spacers to increase preload, decreasing the travel which effectively increases the amount of tension applied over the 'total' travel distance. buying higher tension springs is "better" because it leaves you with more total travel with the same tension rate.

but anyway... why not figure out the proper tension rate you want with spacers before spending $100 or more on springs