ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Riding Skills

Notices

Old July 26th, 2015, 08:37 PM   #1
superflytako
ninjette.org member

Name: Garry

Motorcycle(s): 2014 Ninja 300 ABS, 2013 Ninja 300 ABS (RIP), 2015 FZ-09 (sold)

How would you approach this corner?

As the title states, how would you go around this corner? It's an off ramp in Downtown LA which requires a significant drop in speed. What makes it challenging is that the pavement has portions where it looks like very wide potholes that aren't deep but very jagged/rough so it's like riding through gravel and I can feel the rear slip the past 2 times that I have been on here. I think one way around this is just to 1) avoid this exit 2) slow to a crawl (5-10 mph) and try to navigate around the left/right side of the lane and somehow avoiding the patchy/rough areas. Any other suggestions?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 4th street.jpg (137.9 KB, 63 views)
superflytako is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 26th, 2015, 09:45 PM   #2
cbinker
Track Clown

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): '08 250R, 21 MV F3 800, Kawasaki 400 build

MOTM - Sep '15
what speed are you traveling?
what is the posted speed?
what does the warning sign say(yellow sign with black number)?
what is the speed of the road you are exiting onto?

TEAM ALFALFA
www.apexassassins.com
cbinker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 26th, 2015, 10:28 PM   #3
MrAtom

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - July '15
Take everything everyone on here has to say about this particular topic with a grain of salt; there are people on the internet who'll talk a lot about how they'd hit that corner dragging a knee, but only because they'll never have to prove it. Most people here are honest, but let's be real. Someone will exaggerate their abilities.

Id say, take it however you feel comfortable doing so, and dont worry about how you compare to others so much.
MrAtom is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 27th, 2015, 04:57 AM   #4
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
Simple. Same as any corner.

Slow down before the bend and ride through it at the speed appropriate to the conditions. If the pavement is rough or broken, ride at the speed that will let you get through that without losing control. Get the weight off the seat... remember your MSF training.

Slowing to 5-10 mph (seriously, that's jogging pace) seems extreme assuming the surface not actually loose (i.e. gravel) but impossible to say without actually seeing it.

I notice that it's actually a two-lane and that half of it is marked as non-travel. Is that part broken? Is it full of debris? Does it have rumble strips? If it's just paint, use it.

Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
Heri historia. Cras mysterium. Hodie donum est. Carpe diem.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 27th, 2015, 06:25 AM   #5
Panda
not an actual panda

Name: dan

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250, 2009 CBR600RR (Sold)

like a boss.
Panda is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 27th, 2015, 06:49 AM   #6
allanoue
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Al

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300..............2008 Ninja 500-sold...2009 Ninja 250-Crashed

MOTM - Sep '14
A little slip of the back is not anything to worry. Take it like you have been.

And relax

Keep calm and ride on -Motofool
Never quit on a rainy day -ally99
allanoue is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old July 27th, 2015, 07:04 AM   #7
CC Cowboy

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by superflytako View Post
As the title states, how would you go around this corner? What makes it challenging is that the pavement has portions where it looks like very wide potholes that aren't deep but very jagged/rough so it's like riding through gravel and I can feel the rear slip the past 2 times that I have been on here. I think one way around this is just to 1) avoid this exit 2) slow to a crawl (5-10 mph) and try to navigate around the left/right side of the lane and somehow avoiding the patchy/rough areas. Any other suggestions?
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAtom View Post
Take everything everyone on here has to say about this particular topic with a grain of salt; there are people on the internet who'll talk a lot about how they'd hit that corner dragging a knee, but only because they'll never have to prove it. Most people here are honest, but let's be real. Someone will exaggerate their abilities.

Id say, take it however you feel comfortable doing so, and dont worry about how you compare to others so much.
If you slow to a crawl you might get rear ended. You should avoid the pot holes so as to save your wheels and suspension. The more you use this exit the easier it wil become, as you find a path through the rough areas.

I'd take it in second gear at redline!

Old July 27th, 2015, 07:29 AM   #8
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13

Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
Heri historia. Cras mysterium. Hodie donum est. Carpe diem.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old July 27th, 2015, 08:12 AM   #9
snapshot
Fogwalker

Name: Jeff

Motorcycle(s): '09 Ninja 250 "Matilda"

I took that exit for a while when I worked in downtown. It wasn't so bad then...

I'd flash my brake lights to get the attention of the drivers behind me, then go to the left side of the lane to get the best view of what was ahead, then slow to a comfortable speed while looking as far ahead as possible. That would give me more time to see, adjust for, and avoid the pot-holes.

Ride on,

J~

Old July 27th, 2015, 07:48 PM   #10
superflytako
ninjette.org member

Name: Garry

Motorcycle(s): 2014 Ninja 300 ABS, 2013 Ninja 300 ABS (RIP), 2015 FZ-09 (sold)

Thanks for the comments and suggestions everyone, I'll drag a knee through it next time Just kidding! Anyway, I usually take one of the exits before 4th, either 6th or 9th since they roads are paved better as opposed to looking like someone dragged a backhoe through the center of it. To answer some questions about the off-ramp itself, it's 1 lane with a warning sign of 20 mph and taking at my WRX at that speed today was quite a rumbly ride. It's a one lane road and the left side is an emergency lane littered with debris.

As CC Cowboy has mentioned, I will definitely get more comfortable with corners in general as I get more experience with them since I am almost relearning everything since I have only put a little over a hundred miles on this new-to-me 300. I'll probably be avoiding this off-ramp anyway because of the uneven road with random potholes scattered throughout and I was just curious to see how other riders would approach a less than ideal corner such as this.
superflytako is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 27th, 2015, 07:52 PM   #11
Sirref
Private Joker

Name: Ben

Motorcycle(s): '99/'01 Ninja 250 "sketchy", '13 Ninja 300 "yoshi", '03 GSXR 600 "merlin"

MOTM - Mar '14
Quote:

depending on what the surface is actually like you could totally drag knee there, in fact the radius is pretty much perfect for that. I can't tell anything about the surface from that pic

if it's bad you wanna go supermoto style with your foot down sliding the back wheel this I cannot do, mostly because I don't have a dirt bike/sumo

more seriously though, msf style slow-look-press/lean-roll still works, if the surface is that bad then slow more and tap your brake light waving your left hand like a madman to make sure you don't get your ass rammed

normally if I'm braking I'm trail braking but on a bad surface I'll get my braking done before hand and try to coast through on minimal maintenance throttle using my body to force the bike more upright...basically how I'm going to be riding in the rain for a bit since the tires I just put on my bike are basically slicks (luckily they have the dry grip to match )

Old July 28th, 2015, 04:52 AM   #12
wardie
ninjette.org guru

Name: Larry

Motorcycle(s): 06 KLR 650,12 250 Ninja, 86 DR 125, 07 CRF 100, 09 Tomos Streetmate LEL Record Holder, 88 K100 RT

if the surface is that bad why not look at finding another exit? Depending on depth and jaggedness (is that a word?) tires and rims take a beating. Definitely keep air pressure at recommended psi.

Old July 28th, 2015, 06:57 PM   #13
verboten1

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): '75 CB550:.'82 XV920:.'00 KLR650:.'00 EX250:.'08 Ninja 250

MOTM - June '15
I like this way myself.

But take the turn at what's safe which is probably Faster than you think.

Ride more, worry less.

Last futzed with by verboten1; July 29th, 2015 at 12:09 PM.
verboten1 is offline   Reply With Quote

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old July 29th, 2015, 05:03 PM   #14
asdfman
٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶

Name: asdfman

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250 held together by duct tape and zip ties

Just take it as slow as you need to and be smooth with the throttle. Personally, if there are pot holes and stuff, I try to lower my center of gravity as much as possible (ie put more weight on the pegs) so I can maintain balance, but really depends on the situation. And remember to look through the turn and not target fixate.
asdfman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 29th, 2015, 07:30 PM   #15
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by superflytako View Post
........ I'll probably be avoiding this off-ramp anyway because of the uneven road with random potholes scattered throughout and I was just curious to see how other riders would approach a less than ideal corner such as this.
I would avoid the center, as well as the left area, where spills of diesel and oil and debris tend to collect, due to centrifugal effect.
The problem with that approach is that following traffic should be monitored just in case some driver decides passing you in a dangerous manner.

If 20 mph is recommended, it should be a safe curve at 30 mph.
It is not a race, but traffic dictates how slow is safe enough.
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 19th, 2015, 06:26 PM   #16
Elloelvi
ninjette.org member

Name: Elvi

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 300, Ninja ZX6r, NSR50, XR50r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panda View Post
like a boss.
lol
Elloelvi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 19th, 2015, 07:32 PM   #17
Klondike1020
Intrepid Adventurer

Name: Josh

Motorcycle(s): 2004 GSXR 750 , 71 cb350streettracker, 07 Polaris Predator 500

Anyone who who is worth their salt at ridding knows that the obvious way to approach any corner is to .....

1.) Down Shifty super slick
2.) Pin it to Win It ....
3.) Rev Limmtterrrrr ?
4.) Drift like a BOSS>

So swing by sometime and I will show you how its done//

Quote:
Most people here are honest, but let's be real. Someone will exaggerate their abilities.
But more seriously.....

I have had a lot of experiences where my traction has been a little sketchy and my bike handles a bit freakishly.

Such as my home road. They just put down oil and loose stone. While before it was a beautiful nice paved road and they ruined it. No pot holes or anything. But alas they cheap resurface it because of the tractor trailer traffic.... And I digress.

When I first began ridding this after the stone was applied I slowed way down and took it super easy and steady. My bike feels wobbly and unpredictable while on this road but I have no choice I live here.

I went from tooling along at 35 until I got comfortable until now
I can come onto my road with a nice gentle curve at a regular speed of 20-30 mph with no noticeable lean and just roll on down the road. My back tire breaks loose sometimes when I shift and give it the gas but I have a feel for it.

Basically -
GET used to it gradually
and if ya dont like it and can avoid it.... do that
I avoid lots of crappy roads.

When I am not drifting around on ramps like a BOSS @Panda
Klondike1020 is offline   Reply With Quote