ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Farkles

Notices

Old August 26th, 2015, 07:02 PM   #1
Kurgan
ninjette.org guru

Name: Kurgan

Motorcycle(s): '09 Ninja 250R

So what's the current verdict on frame sliders?

Frame sliders have been almost at the bottom of my list of things I want to do to my bike, but I just watched a video where they saved someone an absolute TON of money in a crash where the only damage was to the slider tip, and to the plastic endcap on the CF muffler can.

From what I've read the Shogun sliders are one of the best for the little Ninja, but that install process.....holy crap.

Is there anything better and easier to install than the Shogun kit? Preferably something that doesn't involve cutting up the fairings?
Kurgan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 26th, 2015, 07:05 PM   #2
choneofakind
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Verdict? meh. I think they're kind of pointless since they take all impact off the fairings (which crunch and slow the hit) and direct it straight at the engine mounts (which are a hard part of the frame).

Your call, your bike. Meh.
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 26th, 2015, 07:05 PM   #3
cbinker
Track Clown

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): '08 250R, 21 MV F3 800, Kawasaki 400 build

MOTM - Sep '15
frame sliders are good for sliding across pavement, but once it hits something soft cartwheeling ensues.

TEAM ALFALFA
www.apexassassins.com
cbinker is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old August 26th, 2015, 07:08 PM   #4
allanoue

Name: Al

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300..............2008 Ninja 500-sold...2009 Ninja 250-Crashed

MOTM - Sep '14
Good for saving fairings and bending the frame.

Keep calm and ride on -Motofool
Never quit on a rainy day -ally99
allanoue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 27th, 2015, 09:08 AM   #5
spooph

Name: Spooph

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250R

MOTM - Oct '15
I've had the shogun frame sliders on my bike for 7 years now and they have saved me quite a bit of money. I and others who have borrowed the bike have dropped it a few times at slow speeds which would have cracked/smashed the fairings but ended up saving them. Aside from that, they also make pretty good highway pegs to alleviate knee strain on long rides. But they do catch in dirt and grass, so in a high speed crash they will probably cause more damage than not having them in the first place, by flipping the bike.

So really, it's your call. Do you ride aggressively and dangerously? They might not the best option, but if you're careful and looking for some protection against low speed and parking lot accidents they make a lot of sense.

Also yes, they can bend the frame. To me, it's cheap insurance. A bent frame usually totals the bike, so you can get a new one from the insurance money (if you have comprehensive coverage). However, fairing rash might not even meat your deductible...

They don't require cutting the frame, and the install process is pretty easy if you have a car/floor jack available.

1.) Loosen all 3 engine mounting bolts but do not remove.
2.) Jack up the engine until 1 bolt can be removed and remove it.
3.) Place the frame sliders in place (on both sides).
4.) Put the new bolt back in place.
5.) Repeat steps 2-4 for the other bolt.

It helps if the nuts are all on the same side. You'll need a large screw driver and a 12 or 14mm socket, or 2 sockets to do that. A torque wrench will make things easier as well.

My therapist has 2 wheels and a seat.
If you are ever in doubt to my tone, please refer to my avatar.
spooph is offline   Reply With Quote

3 out of 3 members found this post helpful.
Old August 28th, 2015, 12:39 PM   #6
Kurgan
ninjette.org guru

I don't drive dangerously or take stupid chances, I'm more worried about the stupid car drivers in my area who don't bother looking for bikes. Or worse, they look right at us and decide that they have the right of way solely because they have a bigger vehicle....

Old August 28th, 2015, 01:55 PM   #7
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
So what you should be looking at is good gear and defensive driving, not sliders...?

Old August 28th, 2015, 02:48 PM   #8
cbinker
Track Clown

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): '08 250R, 21 MV F3 800, Kawasaki 400 build

MOTM - Sep '15
frame sliders aren't going to protect you from bad drivers. only skill can save your ass there, and when that fails proper protective gear.

TEAM ALFALFA
www.apexassassins.com
cbinker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 28th, 2015, 09:03 PM   #9
Kurgan
ninjette.org guru

I have good gear, and I know how to ride against the mass flood of idiotic soccer moms in SUV's and minivans almost always on cellphones.

I still don't trust them, especially when my bike is parked. I've seen three different idiots start to pull into what they thought was an empty parking spot only to come to a screeching halt just inches from my bike. Two of the morons actually laid on their horns in a lame effort to get me out of the restaurant to force me to move my bike just for them. That's why I park sideways at the front of all parking spaces now so they actually see the bike. I will never park tail in, nose out, at the back of a parking spot ever again.

As much as I want the Ducati bodykit for my bike, I'd like to keep the stock panels intact as long as possible which is why I asked about frame sliders.

Old August 29th, 2015, 12:49 AM   #10
Elloelvi
ninjette.org member

Name: Elvi

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 300, Ninja ZX6r, NSR50, XR50r

Talking

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00Y7...A18132C77AG5IR

Hey, I actually bought these "whatever, no-name" brand ones before I even started learning on my bike, and they saved my bike from a lottttt of damage lol.
I dropped my bike several times just from the weight anddd I lowsided at a canyon. My side fairings are still completely fine lol. The only damage was to the sliders themselves (replaced), my new $400 Two Brothers exhaust was ruined (now I also have an exhaust slider), and the rearset brackets broke off (from getting wedged under the railing). but it saved my pretty fairings! .

I also dropped my friends' triumph from the weight, and luckily he had frame sliders lol. It was a-okay

Old August 29th, 2015, 12:53 AM   #11
Elloelvi
ninjette.org member

Name: Elvi

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 300, Ninja ZX6r, NSR50, XR50r

Oh, and those were no-cut! But I did have to remove both side fairings and lift up the engine to install them. No biggie, I swear. I got Shogun ones but they were going to be slightly more work since they go through two parts of the bike instead of one, so I just kept my no-name ones on. I'll save my shogun ones for next time.

Old August 29th, 2015, 02:43 AM   #12
Ghostt
in your machine

Name: Scott

Motorcycle(s): 98 Ninja 250/F12 aka ZX-2R "SERENITY", 91 Ninja 500/A5 aka ZX-5R "Phoenix", 84 Honda GL1200A "SIREN"

MOTM - Jun '17, May '16, Mar '15
I've only had one fall over, and it wasn't my fault.

Long ago when I had my FJ1100 we were all hanging out, some girl decided to lean against my bike, she did it on the kickstand side, when the bike started to move she didn't realize it til it was moving and slightly forward, when she did, she stopped leaning on it.

The bike went down on the kickstand side, but fortunately it landed on her, so the bike was fine. She on the other hand didn't fair too well, but I bet she NEVER did that again.

ZX-2R BLOG
Twitter and Instagram = Ghostt_Scott
I'm not here to change your mind, just to inform.
Ghostt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 29th, 2015, 05:31 AM   #13
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Park all the way at the open end of the spot, visible from the isle. Leave the bike at about a 45 degree angle from the spot so it appears to take up more of the width of the spot instead of being a skinny stick in the very front of the spot.

Old August 29th, 2015, 04:38 PM   #14
Kurgan
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by choneofakind View Post
Park all the way at the open end of the spot, visible from the isle. Leave the bike at about a 45 degree angle from the spot so it appears to take up more of the width of the spot instead of being a skinny stick in the very front of the spot.
That's exactly what I do now. The cage drivers see the whole side of the bike at the end of the spot where other car's rear bumpers would be.