Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Ride Reports

Notices

Old October 5th, 2018, 09:46 PM   #1
Fifthwheelman
2-18 wheels

Name: Bradley

Motorcycle(s): ‘04 Kawasaki Ninja 250 “Baroness”

I did a thing...and learned.

So here we are some more than others learning things, things like: how long is too long a ride? How cold is too cold? How windy is too windy? That being said it’s story time alternate title “how I was an idiot and lived” the date is September 29 and 30 2018. And I was asked to return to Illinois from Ohio to assist an elderly relative. Now that particular Saturday was not windy but it was cold around 55 I think and I knew it was a 4 1/2 hour drive about from Dayton Ohio to Champaign Illinois, I was looking for gas mileage and declined to drive my suv there and back, a quick overnight bag was packed a pre ride check performed and I was off layered up as I was the first hour was not terrible by hour 3 I was miserable but determined. I-70 west to Indy and then I-74 west to Champaign was the route selected. I learned how to ride on the interstate, pass semis and shift position as the pocket seams in my jeans made a spirited attempt at carving into my rump. Cold ride there but uneventful.
Now it is Sunday early afternoon beginning the trek home much warmer this day was a balmy 70 ish but oh so windy. I-74 leaving Champaign 40 miles from the Indiana border I joined the eastbound traffic head held high until we reached 70Mph I chose to pass a slower semi no other traffic in left lane wind straight from the south (my right) I chose the right side of the left lane. Upon breaking the plane of front bumper the wind again reached me I went from right side of left lane to left shoulder and over the rumble strip...butt pucker. 7 white knuckle miles I made it to an exit and left the interstate instead opting for route 136 to Indy and route 40 home. Took near 6 hours much less windy. But safer for my overly ambitious skill level. The next day I had a neck ache from helmet vs wind and a sore bum. But I lived and got near triple gas mileage vs suv. Now windy days scare me or perhaps I just pay more attention to a previously disregarded weather factor.

Thanks for reading my poor attempt at a story. Ps it’s all true.

Old October 6th, 2018, 12:33 AM   #2
CaliGrrl
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): Ninja650

MOTM - Apr '18, Apr '17, Apr '16
Yes, you do want to anticipate wind conditions, and when passing a semi truck. You get a wind blast. You also get "dirty" air behind one.

Go do it more. Hey, an excuse to go riding more, right? Get used to feeling the wind, and watching where it's moving things so you know where it will come from. It can be handled.
CaliGrrl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 6th, 2018, 12:33 AM   #3
CaliGrrl

And I'm glad you lived.

Old October 6th, 2018, 03:55 AM   #4
Fifthwheelman
2-18 wheels

Thanks I am glad I lived too lol. As for the choppy winds rear of a semi yep those suck and make me feel like a bobble head. The re joining of main winds from the right was mostly because it was a super windy day. Makes me wonder if a heavier motorcycle struggles like that. It took near a half mile to work my way back into my lane that’s too long for comfort in flat country inter spaced with overpasses and tree lines. After I got off the interstate it was a pleasant ride though

Old October 6th, 2018, 05:03 AM   #5
AwDang
ninjette.org guru

Name: Pat

Motorcycle(s): 286, 296, 599, 799

Thats not an uncommon experience. More seat time will teach you ways to anticipate the wind and brace for it. To a degree a heavier bike helps some. But it also means more weight to fight when the winds change. Ie; the shadow of the truck or trees next to the road.
I had my 500# Tiger in a cross wind so bad I needed significant lean angle to go straight and maintain my lane. Yeah, it sucked.
AwDang is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 6th, 2018, 06:33 AM   #6
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
When coming up on a slower semi, it's useful to back off and get a run on it so you pass as quickly as possible.

A lot of people (bikers and cagers both) are intimidated by the giant truck and creep past reeeeeaaaallllly slowly. There is nothing to be gained by that. Set it up and get it over with.

Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
Heri historia. Cras mysterium. Hodie donum est. Carpe diem.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old October 6th, 2018, 09:49 AM   #7
DannoXYZ

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
Yup, more throttle and speed defeats wind regardless of bike size. It's vector addition of two forces and the larger you make your vector, the less the other affects your course. Oh and hunkering down so your chin is touching tank really helps!

Also the longer you take to pass truck, the longer you are in danger zone. I usually wait behind rear plane of truck in next lane until car in ahead has cleared front of truck by large distance. Then gun it WOT to pass truck in second or two.
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 6th, 2018, 02:50 PM   #8
Fifthwheelman
2-18 wheels

500 miles in 2 days and only 1 “I almost died” moment isn’t too bad right? I’ll spend some more time on the interstate this weekend.

Old October 7th, 2018, 04:55 AM   #9
maverick9611
"a legend in my own mind"

Name: maverick9611

Motorcycle(s): 2015 moto guzzi norge(brownie),2020 aprilia dorsoduro,

MOTM - Feb '18
how bout less time on interstate? the backroads are calling you. great topic

Old October 7th, 2018, 04:59 AM   #10
adouglas
Cat herder

Since we're on the topic of long rides, a couple of tips that will GREATLY help your endurance:

1) Stop every hour and get off the bike even if you don't think you need to. Just for a minute or two... walk and stretch.

2) If you're riding multiple days in a row, don't overdo it on any one day. 300-400 miles is plenty. If you find yourself thinking that you really want it to be over, you've passed your personal endurance limit. Try to plan so you never quite get to that point.

3) Try not to force the timeline. Leave lots of time for a liesurely lunch and breaks. "Get-there-itis" is not only miserable, it increases risk because you're pushing when you're tired.

Old October 7th, 2018, 05:27 AM   #11
Fifthwheelman
2-18 wheels

Still trying to find the twisty roads near me not sure they exist here. Backroads are great though but sometimes you “need” to get somewhere not with a sense of hurry just an understanding that dilly dallying isn’t supported by the schedule. As for routine breaks, yep too hard for a cig the wind smokes it for me if I don’t stop lol

Old October 7th, 2018, 08:33 AM   #12
Koala
ninjette.org sage

Name: Koala

Motorcycle(s): 2017 Ninja 300 Winter Test Edition

MOTM - May '18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fifthwheelman View Post
Still trying to find the twisty roads near me not sure they exist here. Backroads are great though but sometimes you “need” to get somewhere not with a sense of hurry just an understanding that dilly dallying isn’t supported by the schedule. As for routine breaks, yep too hard for a cig the wind smokes it for me if I don’t stop lol
The twisty roads have got to be there somewhere. Too bad you are way west, like on the opposite side of Ohio from me. Plenty of twisty roads near here. It's odd though, everybody keeps talking about how they go down south for good riding roads. I don't know why, great roads are here, only 15 minutes or so away

I get the stopping for a cig, not sure I'd be able to do it with my helmet on

"To ensure you're giving your very best, blind yourself of all negativity, relax your mind, put inhibition to rest and drive hard toward your goals like it's the last thing on earth." - csmith12
Koala is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 7th, 2018, 08:44 AM   #13
AwDang
ninjette.org guru

Name: Pat

Motorcycle(s): 286, 296, 599, 799

Quote:
Originally Posted by adouglas View Post
Since we're on the topic of long rides, a couple of tips that will GREATLY help your endurance:

1) Stop every hour and get off the bike even if you don't think you need to. Just for a minute or two... walk and stretch.

2) If you're riding multiple days in a row, don't overdo it on any one day. 300-400 miles is plenty. If you find yourself thinking that you really want it to be over, you've passed your personal endurance limit. Try to plan so you never quite get to that point.

3) Try not to force the timeline. Leave lots of time for a liesurely lunch and breaks. "Get-there-itis" is not only miserable, it increases risk because you're pushing when you're tired.
Thats no way to join the IBA
AwDang is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 7th, 2018, 05:07 PM   #14
adouglas
Cat herder

Quote:
There are these really cool things called "maps." Rarely seen these days and essentially unknown to younger people, they are large sheets of paper that fold up into a nice handy size. They show all the roads at a glance. Best of all, they don't need to be recharged and don't require a network connection or GPS.

Get one and look for squiggly lines. It's as simple as that.

This is how I planned my last epic bike journey 10 years ago. I rode from Connecticut out to Indianapolis for the MotoGP race in a more or less straight shot, but I had a good 10 days to get back. I went to AAA and got all the maps of the eastern US north of North Carolina and east of the Mississippi. I unfolded them and looked for squiggly lines. Most were in West Virginia so that's where i went.

Totally worth it. Total distance covered about 2,600 miles on an 08 Ninja 250. With a bum leg that required walking on a cane, no less.

Old October 7th, 2018, 05:25 PM   #15
Koala
ninjette.org sage

MOTM - May '18
Quote:
Originally Posted by adouglas View Post
There are these really cool things called "maps." Rarely seen these days and essentially unknown to younger people, they are large sheets of paper that fold up into a nice handy size. They show all the roads at a glance. Best of all, they don't need to be recharged and don't require a network connection or GPS.

Get one and look for squiggly lines. It's as simple as that.

This is how I planned my last epic bike journey 10 years ago. I rode from Connecticut out to Indianapolis for the MotoGP race in a more or less straight shot, but I had a good 10 days to get back. I went to AAA and got all the maps of the eastern US north of North Carolina and east of the Mississippi. I unfolded them and looked for squiggly lines. Most were in West Virginia so that's where i went.

Totally worth it. Total distance covered about 2,600 miles on an 08 Ninja 250. With a bum leg that required walking on a cane, no less.
From what I've seen since I moved back up here, a paper map in Ohio would be utterly useless. Especially if one is trying to find good riding roads. Any season other than winter, god only knows how many roads are closed/under construction/just a plain mess. Ohio doesn't do road construction quickly, either. They drag that crap out for years.

"To ensure you're giving your very best, blind yourself of all negativity, relax your mind, put inhibition to rest and drive hard toward your goals like it's the last thing on earth." - csmith12

Old October 7th, 2018, 06:05 PM   #16
Fifthwheelman
2-18 wheels

From ADOUGLAS “There are these really cool things called "maps." Rarely seen these days and essentially unknown to younger people, they are large sheets of paper that fold up into a nice handy size. They show all the roads at a glance. Best of all, they don't need to be recharged and don't require a network connection or GPS.”

I mean you aren’t wrong I haven’t handled a paper map in a decade minus army land nav training. Might be something worth trying though thanks.

From Koala “From what I've seen since I moved back up here, a paper map in Ohio would be utterly useless. Especially if one is trying to find good riding roads. Any season other than winter, god only knows how many roads are closed/under construction/just a plain mess. Ohio doesn't do road construction quickly, either. They drag that crap out for years.”

You aren’t wrong either for example how long has I271 to I90 E in the Akron-Cleveland area been under construction? I run that way to Erie 5 nights a week in a semi. Problem I am having is my 2 rider friends here in Dayton don’t know where the really really silly roads are either you the kind the “wtf were they thinking running this many curves” kind. Be that as it may I am having a great time in this new hobby/lifestyle thing and I’m really happy to have found such a group of people as can be found here.

Old October 7th, 2018, 06:12 PM   #17
Koala
ninjette.org sage

MOTM - May '18
Just keep riding whenever you have time and actively go outside of where you're used to, trying to find those roads. Maybe you'll get lucky and find some

I do have to say I'm jealous of all the newer riders like you on here that have all this time to ride. I wish I had more time right now. Winter is coming...

Old October 7th, 2018, 06:23 PM   #18
Fifthwheelman
2-18 wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koala View Post
Just keep riding whenever you have time and actively go outside of where you're used to, trying to find those roads. Maybe you'll get lucky and find some

I do have to say I'm jealous of all the newer riders like you on here that have all this time to ride. I wish I had more time right now. Winter is coming...
Go outside of where I am used to? Easy I moved to Ohio in November besides work and Walmart it’s all unfamiliar lol.

Time to ride? Most of it is leaving 20 minutes before I normally would for work and taking a different route to work. I’ve been on 6 day weeks for awhile average shift 11.5 hours. My day off is ride day I just got back from 2 hours in downtown just rubbernecking and piddling around looking at buildings

Old October 7th, 2018, 06:33 PM   #19
Koala
ninjette.org sage

MOTM - May '18
Quote:
Go outside of where I am used to? Easy I moved to Ohio in November besides work and Walmart it’s all unfamiliar lol.

Time to ride? Most of it is leaving 20 minutes before I normally would for work and taking a different route to work. I’ve been on 6 day weeks for awhile average shift 11.5 hours. My day off is ride day I just got back from 2 hours in downtown just rubbernecking and piddling around looking at buildings
That sounds like riding every day! Plus, you just had that nice trip to Illinois.

I get to ride on Sundays. I pretty much do just what you do, piddle around looking at buildings Just as I was feeling comfortable enough to start riding to work, they started tearing up the roads right in front of my office that and it's dark in the morning when I'm going in and I don't want to get in trouble for riding in the dark on a permit. It would be just my luck.

Old October 7th, 2018, 06:54 PM   #20
Fifthwheelman
2-18 wheels

The dark issue is part of the reason I pushed so hard to get my license fast I’m a 3rd shifter and it’s usualy dark when I leave work and I’ll be da**ed if I’m sitting in the parking lot making vroom vroom noises waiting on sunrise lol. Gotta love the little ninja though it does anything I ask of it except be tall enough (curses of being 6’ tall).
Cannot wait for December when my budget opens for proper boots and pants. Trying to ride everyday it’s not raining because the cold and snow is coming and waiting for March is going to miserable

Old October 7th, 2018, 07:22 PM   #21
snot
sammich maker

Name: snot

Motorcycle(s): 2013 white 300, 09 KLX 250 SF, 09 thunder blue 250(traded)

MOTM - Apr '15
We go south to ride, no twisty roads on this side of Ohio. Kentucky and South East Ohio are the closest areas.

Huber and Vandalia have nothing but flat and straight

Old October 7th, 2018, 08:33 PM   #22
CaliGrrl

I guess a heavier bike might help with wind, though I still think practice and familiarity and skill will do more for you. Heavier bikes are more weight to throw around , a guaranteed "more effort" vs a "maybe will handle wind better".

Old October 8th, 2018, 04:17 PM   #23
snot
sammich maker

Name: snot

Motorcycle(s): 2013 white 300, 09 KLX 250 SF, 09 thunder blue 250(traded)

MOTM - Apr '15
When I have the meet and greet we can talk about the roads....

Old October 9th, 2018, 01:57 PM   #24
Fifthwheelman
2-18 wheels

I appreciate y’all I’m not going to worry about the wind just ride whenever I can

Old October 9th, 2018, 08:29 PM   #25
CaliGrrl

Yeah, wind isn't a thing that needs to keep you home. Ride, be warned, watch for signs that a wind is coming.

Old August 20th, 2021, 06:19 PM   #26
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

Name: Robert

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, 2021 CSC TT250, 1977 Triumph Bonneville 750cc,2001 Honda XR650L.

many a time I have been blown to the other side of the lane, in fact that happens alot.
but only rarely have I been blown completely off the road ! BUT I have been !
and it's no picnic... I didn't go down but the bike and I took a beating on the medium between lanes in the freeway...
as was pointed out Wind isn't a factor when I ride either. the rain,snow or extream heat will stop me now.... never did before, but I am retired now and I don't have to ride unless I want to !
we have extream winds here and I do mean extream ! I have seen 97 mph winds here and the weather man said just strong winds....it's not uncommon to see 60mph winds here but most of the time their fairly constant...not gusty it's the gusty winds that will get you ! I was riding one time from Las vegas to Reno on a Kawasaki 100cc 2 stroke
and got hit by strong winds and sand by the time I got where I was going I was so tired that I almost collapsed ! that wind made the ride miserable and in places it was quite gusty.... I had changed lanes several times and I realised I shouldn't be on the bike !
as the road was only 2 lane ! one going north and one going south but trafic was so light I was lucky to see a car every hour...
that light bike did not like the wind !
fast forward about 15 years I was waiting in the fast lane for the car ahead of me to pass the simi which took forever when a gust of wind hit the simi trailer and it went up on the wheels on it's left side , the car had just past his front bumper... and I was about to start passing when I saw the trailer tip up.... the driver of the truck saved it by diving into the fast lane and the wheels came back down.... and he slowed way down and signaled to get back in the slow lane I dove to the right and flashed my light at him and he didn't hesitate he came right back.... he and I were on the same page.... now doing about 45 to 50 mph I lined up with his mirror and flashed my light and pored the coal to the bike and passed him real fast .... he took the next exit and parked it. but that fella had his hands full for a minute ! ....
the smart thing to do when driving in the wind is be aware of the trucks ! they can come get you at the least expected time.... had I decided to pass he would have ran me off the road.... or flipped the trailer right on me.... he had no other choice. !
so I made a habit of passing simi's as fast as possible from that day onward.
the older bikes had what they called a stearing dampner a pare of friction disks that went below the stearing neck of the bike, My 305 honda Dream had one , and in windy conditions I could tighten it a bit and the wind would not make me wander in my lane
it was great.... but when it was tightened you would increase your lean in the corners by alot.... it took a long time to get used to it but it was a welcome addition to the bike
I am not certain , but I would think that you could tighten the bearing lock nuts in the stem to do the same thing . if you find you are taking up the entire lane in your rides
it may well be that it is too loose !
Bob.........