ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old December 4th, 2010, 11:38 PM   #1
dood59
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Galen

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250r

Unhappy 07 250 overheating after highway speeds or idling

hi! I have a ninja 250 2007 with 5,000mi. A few weeks ago the screw that holds one of the coolant lines coming off the water pump came off and it dumped coolant all over the highway and temp got into the red. I got a new screw and attached the line, filled the coolant, I have let the bike warm up several times and topped off the coolant until the radiator is full and resevior is at the full line. The bike is now overheating after idleing for several min or when I slow down from highway speeds( i can hear boiling in the engine block at this point).. it is fine while I am moving. The fan seems to come on close to the redline and cools it a little but shuts off after about 30 seconds a few min later it will come on again for about 10 sec then the bike overheats into the red. Until the line came off the bike, it has never gone past 12oclock on the temp guage (even in traffic on 100 deg days)and fan used to come on around 1 oclock. Anyone have any ideas on what to check and in what order? Dealer wants $90 an hr for diagonistics and i have no job..
dood59 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 5th, 2010, 06:03 AM   #2
bob706
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250 1998 HD Road King

Welcome to the forum. Sounds like the waterpump is gone.
bob706 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 5th, 2010, 08:15 AM   #3
dood59
ninjette.org newbie

hi and thanks for the welcoming, do you know of any way to test the waterpump?when i open the radiator cap and run the engine, it looks like the water is just vibrating and not flowing. im going to test the thermostst today in a pot of boiling water.

Old December 5th, 2010, 11:36 AM   #4
rockNroll

Name: rock

Motorcycle(s): black

Your symptoms are typical of not having the cooling system full and/or a blown head gasket.

You think the radiator is full and the jug is to full level. Now... when the bike is "overheating" is there coolant leaving the radiator and adding to the jug's level?

Old December 5th, 2010, 02:26 PM   #5
dood59
ninjette.org newbie

yes and no..as it overheats and boils, the coolant overflows out the tube down the middle of the bike , but the level in the coolant res stays at the max line.(does not suck any back into the radiator). whatever spills out, i can add that amount back into the radiator??..the bike is not smoking and oil in the motor is not milky and runs normal and idle is normal.. are there any bleeder valves or plugs i could try opening to help get rid of an air pocket if there is one?

Old December 18th, 2010, 01:10 PM   #6
JMcDonald
ninjette.org sage

Name: J

Motorcycle(s): 2008 250R

I was going to say it sounds like a leaking head gasket, if the coolant level is not low and the system is correctly primed. A leaking head gasket can also result from overheating in general.

Old December 18th, 2010, 01:32 PM   #7
sombo
Newb..... on a steeek! :D

Name: Mike

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Harley Davidson XL883L Sportster Superlow

J.. a leaky gasket would cause the level to drop as the coolant would escape into the combustion chamber and be turned to vapor.

From the last post from the OP it sounds like what happens in a car when the thermostat is stuck or when the pump isn't working. Basically it means you have no water flow. When you lost all of your coolant on the highway it might have fried your pump. Water pumps working with no water will burn out quickly because they are designed for the resistance. If there is no resistance they tend to go poof.
sombo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 19th, 2010, 01:16 PM   #8
JMcDonald
ninjette.org sage

Name: J

Motorcycle(s): 2008 250R

Good point about the t-stat. That has actually happened to me bedore on an older car. However, if it were stuck closed, the bike would also overheat at high speeds. Also, Ive seen blown head gaskets only cause a very slow reducton in flUid level, while still causing overheating due to the combuston gases leaking into the coolant system.
Posted via Mobile Device
JMcDonald is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 19th, 2010, 06:09 PM   #9
sombo
Newb..... on a steeek! :D

Name: Mike

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Harley Davidson XL883L Sportster Superlow

Well bikes are a bit different then cars at high speed. If you notice, our engines have a small amount of heatsink fins on them. As you go up in speed more air flows over the motor helping in the cooling of the engine. This is what helps allow for smaller cooling systems and also why they tend to overheat when not moving. The cooling systems they use are designed with that bit of air-cooling in mind and therefore have more trouble cooling in slow traffic then cages do.
sombo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 19th, 2010, 06:44 PM   #10
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

I'm not sure sombo; everything I've read about the few cooling fins on water-cooled engines like ours are that they are for styling alone. Without them, the engine would look more like a water pump than a motorcycle engine. The only thing that is truly doing any cooling at all may be the radiator. But to your point, even the radiators on motorcycles are sized such that it is assumed the bike isn't going to be sitting still indefinitely, and it does need to have reasonable airflow by being in motion to effectively cool the engine.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 18th, 2011, 08:08 PM   #11
dood59
ninjette.org newbie

Thanks guys!!! ... at this point I think I'm going to change the waterpump because I tested the thermostat and it opened when I boiled some water! After changing the waterpump is there anything I need to know about filling , primeing and bleeding the system so I can be sure it is not an air pocket? And how would I check for a bad headgasket?

Old February 18th, 2011, 08:46 PM   #12
kkim

http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/How_do_...ling_system%3F

http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/Cooling_system
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 26th, 2014, 10:43 AM   #13
jeffsiri
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Jeffrey

Motorcycle(s): ninja 250 2002

@dood59

The exact same thing happened to my ninja 250 where the screw came off the coolant line and dropped coolant all over the highway. Now my ninja heats up at low speeds or idling past the 12 o clock mark but does perfectly fine on highways staying under the 11 o clock. Did you figure out the solution to your problem?

Hopefully you get to this post even though its old!
jeffsiri is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 26th, 2014, 03:07 PM   #14
dood59
ninjette.org newbie

Talking

Yes I was able to fix the problem. After changing the thermostat, with no success, I ended up changing the head gasket and that fixed the problem. Not a hard job to, just be cautious when setting the timing. I used a book that had a typing error in it and ended up having to buy a cam and a rod and a different manual. I also recommend doing the valve adjustment while you have it apart. Put about 5k on it since then and sold it to someone who sent it to Russia. I have the shop manual still if you need one. Let me know.

Old August 26th, 2014, 04:23 PM   #15
jeffsiri
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Jeffrey

Motorcycle(s): ninja 250 2002

Awesome thank you!

Did you end up having to change the water pump at all?
jeffsiri is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 6th, 2015, 04:45 PM   #16
omarcarbomb
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Omar

Motorcycle(s): 2006 250ER

I had the same thing happen

my lower water pump bolt came off on while riding on July 4.
The bike hit the red (which it never does) so I pulled off the high way. I was not sure what the problem was but when limped off the highway the temp went down. Then I heard the water pump run empty and clatter so I pulled over and parked it.

The bike sat for 3 hours while I went home and got coolant and a bolt.
Came back and filled up bike and road home. Bike was warm when I got home and the fan engaged for a bit when I came to a stand still in garage.

The next day the bike is now running hot like other posts above but with one additional difference. The fan will not come on even though the temp gauge get up to the red line. I tested the fan manually and it works.

since the temp gauge is at the thermostat and the fan switch is on the radiator either the fan sensor has died or the hot water is not getting to the fan sensor.

I will let it cool and start testing parts.

I question the riders that are jumping to head gasket failure. The bike runs fine it is just hot and a failed gasket would not explain why the fan is not coming on now. Morel likely the pump is bad and the coolant is not circulating to get to the fan sensor.

These symptoms after loosing and replacing coolant seem common. I have found many riders posting with very similar problems after losing coolant.

Old July 6th, 2015, 04:56 PM   #17
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by omarcarbomb View Post
......... since the temp gauge is at the thermostat and the fan switch is on the radiator either the fan sensor has died or the hot water is not getting to the fan sensor.........
If the level of coolant inside the system is too low, the fan's sensor is in a pocket of air rather than submerged in the hot coolant.

A milky color of the oil will tell you if coolant is leaking trough the gasket.
Sometimes, oil can see floating in the coolant through the radiator's cap.

Take a look at this:
http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/Cooling_system
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old July 6th, 2015, 05:46 PM   #18
dood59
ninjette.org newbie

How I found out my head gasket was leaking

@omarcarbomb It has been a few years since then. If my memory serves me correctly, I believe I used some kind of device and chemical to tell if I had exhaust gas in my coolant that my buddy who owns a shop had. I believe It sells for about $50 and i did change the water pump just in case.

Here is an example. Hope it helps! https://www.google.com/shopping/prod...BvxvT4AfbTu4gE

Last futzed with by dood59; July 6th, 2015 at 05:48 PM. Reason: Wrong person reply is for. My apologies!

Old July 7th, 2015, 06:52 AM   #19
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
You most likely have an air pocket in the system.

If you fill up the radiator from the filler neck, then start it up (cap off) and run it briefly, most likely the level will drop. Then fill again. When the level starts to rise (spill out the filler neck), shut the engine off and replace the cap. Make sure the overflow bottle is up to the proper level.

If the level in the radiator drops again you will see the level in the overflow bottle drop as well.
jkv45 is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old July 7th, 2015, 10:04 PM   #20
xXecuterXx2
ChocolateMilk Addict

Name: Maurice

Motorcycle(s): '05 EX-250 "Kallie" 85 KLT 110 ATC "Murdock"

this thread is like a zombie
xXecuterXx2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 8th, 2015, 07:10 AM   #21
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by xXecuterXx2 View Post
this thread is like a zombie
Got that right.

Hopefully he has it sorted by now. The original post is from Dec 2010...
jkv45 is offline   Reply With Quote