Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Notices

Old October 10th, 2017, 05:44 AM   #1
Ram Jet
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Kawasaki 250 Ninja, 1982 Honda Ascot FT500

Men and women W/WO helmets

I live in central Michigan. This is Harley country for sure. That being said I've noticed a-lot of couples (HD) riders where the guy doesn't wear a helmet (wears a do-rag) but his lady friend does. Does this put the age old argument to bed about men and women and who is smarter? I think we lose fellas.

Bill

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

Old October 10th, 2017, 08:50 AM   #2
Finesse
ran when parked

Name: Katie

Motorcycle(s): Freeride 250R, KLX250SF, mopeds

MOTM - Sep '17, Dec '14
I'm guessing the helmet the lady friend is wearing is one of those useless plastic cereal bowl types.

I live in western PA and there is no helmet law. I'd say roughly half of the people I see riding motorcycles are not wearing helmets. I'd say about 90% of the people I see riding motorcycles are not wearing more motorcycle gear than a helmet and gloves.

I'm ashamed to admit I have ridden my moped 20mph on neighborhood roads without a helmet to go pick up pizza half a mile away... but I don't understand why people cruise on huge bikes at 75mph without a helmet. I also can't stand wind in my face like that.

I crashed at 50mph and cracked my helmet in 3 places and smashed the EPS liner until it was barely a cm thick... after that, I bought an Arai ...
Finesse is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 10th, 2017, 12:11 PM   #3
Ram Jet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finesse View Post
I'm guessing the helmet the lady friend is wearing is one of those useless plastic cereal bowl types.

I live in western PA and there is no helmet law. I'd say roughly half of the people I see riding motorcycles are not wearing helmets. I'd say about 90% of the people I see riding motorcycles are not wearing more motorcycle gear than a helmet and gloves.

I'm ashamed to admit I have ridden my moped 20mph on neighborhood roads without a helmet to go pick up pizza half a mile away... but I don't understand why people cruise on huge bikes at 75mph without a helmet. I also can't stand wind in my face like that.

I crashed at 50mph and cracked my helmet in 3 places and smashed the EPS liner until it was barely a cm thick... after that, I bought an Arai ...
Yep, half helmets. So maybe women are only a-little bit smarter. I, like you, ride 1/2 a mile to a corner store on a very rural road w/o a helmet sometimes. It is kind of fun under 40 M.P.H.

Bill

Old October 10th, 2017, 12:39 PM   #4
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

MOTM - Oct '18, Aug '17, Aug '16
I'm an ATGATT guy. I also wear a bicycle helmet when riding a bicycle. I figure it would be just my luck that I'd go without the gear for a one block test ride and end up in the hospital.
Triple Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 10th, 2017, 12:41 PM   #5
Finesse
ran when parked

Name: Katie

Motorcycle(s): Freeride 250R, KLX250SF, mopeds

MOTM - Sep '17, Dec '14
I pretty much assume that if I'm not wearing a helmet, and I part ways with my vehicle, I am going to die. Try throwing a watermelon out of your car at 30, 40, 50 mph...
Finesse is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 10th, 2017, 02:19 PM   #6
Ram Jet

Quote:
I pretty much assume that if I'm not wearing a helmet, and I part ways with my vehicle, I am going to die. Try throwing a watermelon out of your car at 30, 40, 50 mph...
Great analogy. I was curious lately and searched the internet regarding causes of traumatic head injury. The general consensus was auto accidents was the largest cause. Can you imagine passing an automobile helmet law like they popped on us motorcycle riders in 1967 in New York State? The mind boggles! Ladies having spent $50.00 on a new "do" would quit driving/riding. Quarter horse anyone?

Bill

Old October 10th, 2017, 02:28 PM   #7
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Quote:
If you don't die from the impact, there's a good chance you will be run over and killed.

When I hit a deer on the Interstate back-in-the-day (on my brand new '87 Ninja 750), I remember being the most frightened when I stopped tumbling and realized I was laying in the fast lane of the hwy at night. Because I had a helmet on I was able to get my bearings (though my head was spinning) and crawl onto the median. Numerous cars went by me at full speed before someone stopped.

The father of a good friend of mine, who was a Surgeon, never wore a helmet and said he'd "rather be dead than a vegetable". One morning he was out for a short ride on the hwy and was sideswiped by a drunk. He was thrown hundreds of feet. He cracked his skull in 2 places and lost most of his balance. He could no longer perform surgeries - which was the majority of his job. He is still alive, but obviously has lasting effects.

A motorcyclist was just killed last week, not too far from here, when he hit a deer and was run over by a car, and then a dump truck.

I don't know the details, but being conscious (because you had a helmet on) when you stop tumbling is a huge advantage.
jkv45 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 10th, 2017, 02:39 PM   #8
Ram Jet

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkv45 View Post
If you don't die from the impact, there's a good chance you will be run over and killed.

When I hit a deer on the Interstate back-in-the-day (on my brand new '87 Ninja 750), I remember being the most frightened when I stopped tumbling and realized I was laying in the fast lane of the hwy at night. Because I had a helmet on I was able to get my bearings (though my head was spinning) and crawl onto the median. Numerous cars went by me at full speed before someone stopped.

A motorcyclist was just killed last week, not too far from here, when he hit a deer and was run over by a car, and then a dump truck.

I don't know the details, but being conscious (because you had a helmet on) when you stop tumbling is a huge advantage.
Someone upstairs was watching over you Sir. What if you lay there unconscious.

Several good reasons to wear a helmet for reasons other than warding off a wack by a large bumble bee. Hmmm, I wonder how it might feel riding in a severe rain storm with out a helmet. A hail storm would even be more fun.

Bill

Old October 10th, 2017, 03:17 PM   #9
Sirref
Private Joker

Name: Ben

Motorcycle(s): '99/'01 Ninja 250 "sketchy", '13 Ninja 300 "yoshi", '03 GSXR 600 "merlin"

MOTM - Mar '14
I ride my moped around without a helmet sometimes, I'm more comfortable with it on though

with that said the other week I was one of the first people on the scene when a friend of mine crashed his bike in the paddock without a helmet at 10-15mph, he was airlifted and it was not a pleasant experience

Old October 10th, 2017, 03:24 PM   #10
DannoXYZ

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram Jet View Post
Great analogy. I was curious lately and searched the internet regarding causes of traumatic head injury. The general consensus was auto accidents was the largest cause.l
I think you have to even out the larger number of auto-crashes. Can equalize it by using head-injuries/per-crash metric and bikes would easily gain lead.

I make everyone I ride with wear helmets before laws were passed. I hand them my sacrificial helmet and say, "Just humour me, try it on to see if it fits.". While they're distracted, I reach over for my baseball bat and give 'em good whack when their hands were clear of helmet. Then I say, "Ok, let's try that again without the helmet!!!"... hahahahah ,no one ever does!!!
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 10th, 2017, 03:28 PM   #11
Ram Jet

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacRyann View Post
I think you have to even out the larger number of auto-crashes. Can equalize it by using head-injuries/per-crash metric and bikes would easily gain lead.

I make everyone I ride with wear helmets before laws were passed. I hand them my sacrificial helmet and say, "Just humour me, try it on to see if it fits.". While they're distracted, I reach over for my baseball bat and give 'em good whack when their hands were clear of helmet. Then I say, "Ok, let's try that again without the helmet!!!"... hahahahah ,no one ever does!!!
You ought to team-up with Katie - two psychologists. Actually that's a very clever way to make a sold impression - that might even get a kid to wear a helmet on his bicycle. I'll remember that.

Bill

Old October 10th, 2017, 03:29 PM   #12
DannoXYZ

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

Regardless of speed, your head hits ground at ~15mph from vertical height of seated position. Add in horizontal speed into an immovable object and forces are tremendous!

I've had friends who died back in our bicycle racing days. Just one look at Casartelli's bloody crash in 1995 TDF and most people have no problems wearing helmets.

As for men/women W/WO helmets, someone gotta survive to drag body back home!!!

Old October 10th, 2017, 06:43 PM   #13
MrAtom

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - July '15
Quote:
Does this put the age old argument to bed about men and women and who is smarter? I think we lose fellas.
That's already been long settled.

MrAtom is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 10th, 2017, 08:39 PM   #14
CaliGrrl

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): Ninja650

MOTM - Apr '18, Apr '17, Apr '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple Jim View Post
I'm an ATGATT guy. I also wear a bicycle helmet when riding a bicycle. I figure it would be just my luck that I'd go without the gear for a one block test ride and end up in the hospital.
Yeah, that's my luck, too! If I'm getting gas at the station two blocks from the house, I will wait to put my gloves on until I finish with gas, but that's about it. Otherwise- gear!

I wear a helmet on my bicycle, too.
CaliGrrl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 11th, 2017, 02:10 AM   #15
Ram Jet

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAtom View Post
That's already been long settled.

Sad but true. That's about the best use for a can of Budweiser though.

Bill

Old October 11th, 2017, 08:13 AM   #16
Mohawk
ninjette.org guru

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): ZZR250, VFR800

I used to love the Darwin awards. I see people like that all th time abroad, yes its hot, but do you know you will have a incident? Nope me neither.

I say incident because it does not have to be a crash. It can be a puncture, a stone or gravel thrown up by a passing vehicle or even your front tyre, or as I've had some arseh0le Germans on holiday shooting airpistols from their soft top car. Any of those could blind you, but it's their life.

Be careful out of here.
Mohawk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 11th, 2017, 08:17 AM   #17
Ram Jet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohawk View Post
I used to love the Darwin awards. I see people like that all th time abroad, yes its hot, but do you know you will have a incident? Nope me neither.

I say incident because it does not have to be a crash. It can be a puncture, a stone or gravel thrown up by a passing vehicle or even your front tyre, or as I've had some arseh0le Germans on holiday shooting airpistols from their soft top car. Any of those could blind you, but it's their life.

Be careful out of here.
A side note. You have a beautiful bike. I want one.

Bill

Old October 11th, 2017, 11:22 AM   #18
DannoXYZ

Quote:
Sad but true. That's about the best use for a can of Budweiser though.

Bill
And he's got matching T-shirt!!!