ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Motorcycle Gear

Old August 10th, 2013, 07:21 PM   #1
Panda
not an actual panda

Name: dan

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250, 2009 CBR600RR (Sold)

Gear Review: Earplugs - EP7 Sonic Defenders® Ultra

I originally started using Sonic Defenders EP4s (http://www.surefire.com/ep4-sonic-defenders-plus.html) when I went shooting. They worked great and I started using them for riding.

I found when I rode with them that the rubber flange would start to irritate the inside of my ears. I switched to the cheap disposable foam ones but for some reason I'm too much of a moron/lack the dexterity to use them.

If they are brand new I can get them in quickly but if I've used them once and taken them out it takes me forever to get them back in. Or the worst scenario is when I think they're in, I put on my helmet, I put on my gloves, I start riding, and I realize that the earplug in one ear is only partially in and I'm starting to go deaf in that ear.

I was looking for non-disposable earplugs when I came across these -

http://www.surefire.com/ep7-sonic-defenders-ultra.html

The Sonic Defender ep7s. Its the same design as the 4 but uses a disposable foam core instead of the flange. The advantage is that the disposable foam core doesn't irritate the inside of my ear canal (I just went on an 8 hour ride and my ears feel fine) and it's really easy to jam the foam into the ear canal because the foam surrounds a hard plastic cylinder. It's a win-win but the are a little pricey as far as earplugs go.

So if you use earplugs and you have trouble using the foam ones these are a great solution.

PS. This review might not be applicable to anyone as I realize I may be the only person that can't insert the disposable earplugs in their ears in less than 3 seconds.
Panda is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

Old August 10th, 2013, 09:15 PM   #2
JohnnyBravo
Certifiable nontundrum

Name: Harper

Motorcycle(s): 2013 SE NINJA 300

MOTM - Sep '13, Sep '16
Great review! I hate that rubbery plastic in my ears, foamy stuff is a lot more comfortable.

Old August 10th, 2013, 09:22 PM   #3
Snake
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 05 Blue Ninja 250

MOTY - 2017, MOTM - Jan '19, Oct '16, May '14
$19.95 is not bad for a comfortable pair of ear plugs.
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 10th, 2013, 09:40 PM   #4
bkh2
ninjette.org guru

Name: Ben

Motorcycle(s): 2006 GSXR 750; 1983 CB750SC

Are those the best models for motorcycle riding? I watched the video and they rifled through a multitude of different styles for a plethora of different applications.
bkh2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 10th, 2013, 11:25 PM   #5
Panda
not an actual panda

Name: dan

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250, 2009 CBR600RR (Sold)

I don't know if they are the best overall. They work the best (most comfortable, easy to use, block sound) for me.
Panda is offline   Reply With Quote