ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Notices

Old January 2nd, 2022, 08:26 PM   #1
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

Name: Robert

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, 2021 CSC TT250, 1977 Triumph Bonneville 750cc,2001 Honda XR650L.

Make a synchronizer for your bike !

I was just looking through some of my bike folders and I found this picture of a manometer or carburator syncronizer that I thought many of you would love to have in your shop !
I built one for my SX650 yamaha that I have sense sold and it still hangs on the wall ready to go but I stole the long connecting tubing I had for it for another project and can't use it till I replace the tubing !
the build:
I made the reservoirs out of 1" PVC water pipe because I had it on hand.
heated short sections of 1/4" copper tubing with the propane torch to push through the caps on the reservoir containers after drilling a small under size hole through them then I reinforced everything with J.B.Weld epoxy puddy.
and that worked very well for the reservoirs.
I got a 5' 1"x4" board and mounted the reservoirs on one end with a few drilled holes and zip ties and measured the fluid hose to length and then filled it with automatic transmission fluid because it was RED ! by putting one end in the quart and sucking on the other end till it was about 1/2 full in the tubbing. then I put the fluid tube onto the reservoir 's bottom connectors
and used cable ties to hold the tubing to the board and stood it up against the wall and let the oil settle and then marked it with a felt pen on the board behind the tubing as a reference point.
I used at least 6' of tubing to connect to each intake manifold but found I needed to hang the thing from the ceiling to do that ! so I added a hook of sorts to the board !...
i then fired up the bike which started easy and looked at the synchronizer and it was pulling the oil to one side a fairly long way.... so I adjusted the idle screws on the butterflies (on the carburetors) to make them both be at the felt tip pen line on the board... and that was all there was to it !
they were in perfect synchronization then !
I used 1/4" vinyl tubing through out the build and hookup... but that line is too big for the Ninja I think, so you'll have to come up with an adapter piece to plug into the ports !
this should work for any 2 cylinder motorcycle out there if you can connect to the vacuum at the intake manifold ! if you can't and the bike does not have those little spigots sticking out of the manifold this isn't going to work for you.... some bikes have a screw in plug for their syncronizer, so if you can come up with a screw in pipe that you can connect the hoses to your golden !
other wise your out'a luck ! LOL
here's the Diagram
enjoy !
Bob....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Manometer03.jpg (104.7 KB, 7 views)

Old January 2nd, 2022, 08:45 PM   #2
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, 2021 CSC TT250, 1977 Triumph Bonneville 750cc,2001 Honda XR650L.

Also I used about 6" of 1" o.d. PVC water pipe and 2 caps for that pipe on each reservoir so you'd need 2- 6" pieces of waterpipe and 4 end caps .
I am sure if you look around at the hardware store you can find some hose bib connectors (barb type for the size of hose you plan to use and just drill and tap the caps carefully and thread them in, use the PVC cement as a sealant around the barbs and your good to go !...
I would not go any smaller than 6" long for the pipe sections as the reservoir has to have enough volume to hold ALL the oil in the balance tube so it cannot be sucked into the engine....
this is the second one of these I've used .. the first one was much more robust with metal containers ! ( talk about over kill !) and I used it for decades !
( lost that one in the Ranch fire!) ...couldn't find it !)
I hope that helps someone synchronize their carbs ! it is amazing how much better an engine will run when they are truly synchronized well !

Bob.....

Old January 5th, 2022, 09:02 AM   #3
DannoXYZ
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
That's pretty darn cool!

I had been using MotionPro mercury synchroniser for decades up until about 11-yrs ago.
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 5th, 2022, 10:37 AM   #4
ducatiman

Name: Gordon

Motorcycle(s): '95 DUCATI 900SS/SP '07 DUCATI SS800 '19 HONDA CBR650R

MOTM - Nov '18, Mar '17
ever hear of old fashioned, mercury CarbStix? Still in use here.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg valve6203.jpg (107.0 KB, 2 views)
ducatiman is online now   Reply With Quote

Old January 5th, 2022, 10:50 AM   #5
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

I have a Unisyn that I used in my bike shop set it mid range on one
and then see if the other cylinder matches it ....
they demand alot of area behind the carbs though and I've heard they're not very accurate .... that is why I made up the synchronizer and it IS indeed more accurate than a Unisyn !.... besides the fact most bikes have vacuum ports now for synchronizing.... that was not the case way back in time !
and with a Unisyn you don't need vacuum ports !
just press it to the back of the carb !
I heard that the mercury filled synchronizers can have the mercury sucked into the engine.... is that true ?......forget you have it hooked up and goose it and it's all over ! .....
that would totally suck !
Bob.....

Old January 5th, 2022, 11:33 AM   #6
DannoXYZ

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
Never had issue with mercury being sucked in, it's quite dense and heavy, liquid metal after all. Problem comes in if you tilt it so it's level, then yes, the mercury would just flow out into engine.

BTW - look up who patented "liquidmetal" technology! SkyNet is becoming reality! Prepare to meet your robot overlords!!!
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 5th, 2022, 11:38 AM   #7
ducatiman

Name: Gordon

Motorcycle(s): '95 DUCATI 900SS/SP '07 DUCATI SS800 '19 HONDA CBR650R

MOTM - Nov '18, Mar '17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob KellyIII View Post
I heard that the mercury filled synchronizers can have the mercury sucked into the engine.... is that true ?......forget you have it hooked up and goose it and it's all over !
ain't happened here yet...however, I don't "forget" its hooked up.
ducatiman is online now   Reply With Quote

Old January 5th, 2022, 04:22 PM   #8
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

MOTM - Oct '18, Aug '17, Aug '16
Vacuum drops when you open the throttle. It's most likely to be a problem at idle, no matter what the fluid is. Oil is nice in case some does get in the engine, but as Gordon said...
Triple Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 5th, 2022, 06:26 PM   #9
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

yah I don't forget THAT either ... and Jim, it's not the opening of the throttle that will get ya it's when you close it at high RPM's ! <GRIN>
you'll get maximum vacuum , much more than at idle.
.... at least that is how I understand it !
Bob......

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.