ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > !%@*#$%!)@#&!%@ I crashed!

Old July 2nd, 2011, 10:41 AM   #1
Cab305
ninjette.org sage

Name: Cab

Motorcycle(s): Blue 10 250r

Went down today

So I'm going south on Washington Ave and 12th when a cager decides to change lanes. I locked up the front and went down like a rock. It was in slow motion. I went left and pushed the bike right, I managed to get my hands and knees out (many years of skating vert ramp) and slid about 10 feet on my gloves and knee pads(get some boys and girls). Of course cage kept on going.

I'm 95% ok, slight friction burn on left knee from knee pad (hurts like hell) other than that knee pads, gloves and boots did their jobs. Bike is ok except for scratched up lower fairing broken turn signal and re-twisted the hell out of my shifter. Oh well. It was bound to happen, glad it wasn't worse.

F'ng Cagers!
Cab305 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 2nd, 2011, 10:47 AM   #2
austexjg
ninjette.org sage

Name: J.G.

Motorcycle(s): '09 zx6r Green/Black, (ex-)Diablo Black '09 Ninja 250r

Glad you were wearing your gear - I feel like an idiot when I think about not using all my gear (i.e. lower body protection, full boots, etc.). I always think about what a fool I would feel like if I was injured in an area that I have protection for, but wasn't wearing.

Hope the knee heals quickly...
austexjg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 2nd, 2011, 10:49 AM   #3
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
sorry to hear it man. i've had almost the exact same thing happen, but she actually pegged my front wheel when it happened to me. took off just the same as well. *fist shake*
how fast were you going? pics?

Old July 2nd, 2011, 10:55 AM   #4
Cab305
ninjette.org sage

20-25 tops, all I saw was a turn signal and then a van, lol.
Yeah, all the gear all the time. I was actually not wearing a jacket cause of the heat, just my back and chest protector.

Old July 2nd, 2011, 11:25 AM   #5
adri99an
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Donger

Motorcycle(s): "Is that a Ninjer 1000?"

Glad you are ok man. That **** is bound to happen....especially with cagers who don't look both ways but just change lanes.

We all know LOUD PIPES don't save lives but when I'm riding 20-25 mph my pipe is soooooo annoying that "some" cagers do hear me and notice.....and if that 1 cager heard me and was going to change lanes into me, but heard my annoying ass pipe...well the rest is history...defensive driving always wins.

What do you think you could've done to avoid this? I always go back and think what could I have done because we have NO control over others.
adri99an is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 2nd, 2011, 11:31 AM   #6
Cab305
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by adri99an View Post
What could I have done because we have NO control over others.
Not sure if I had a lot of options. I could have tried to swerve back into the lane where cage was, but all that came to mind was stop! I just had brand new brakes and steel lines put in last weekend, so there is a possibility that the brakes grabbed way more than what I was used to. I was kind of trying to swerve away and that definitely helped the lock up.

Old July 2nd, 2011, 11:37 AM   #7
adri99an

That sounds about right...grabbing a whole lot of brake out of surprise....live and learn but at least you are ok.

Old July 2nd, 2011, 11:54 AM   #8
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
after i locked up my front and got pegged and lost it in a similar situation i practiced my panic stops until my front brake pads and tire were pretty far gone. not sure if i'll always remember what i learned that month of practicing when the time comes but i know it helped me at least once. about 2 months after it happened i was lane splitting and a truck decided to try to kill me. looking to the right with a signal to the right, he randomly decided to change lanes left. i wound up lifting the rear into the air and managed to set it down just before the back of truck. went from about 20-0 in i'd estimate 15 feet... not sure how accurate that is since the adrenaline makes your distances go out the window.
the biggest thing i can say is stay smooth. my panic stop goes something like; half brake until the front dives, directly after the front dives, ease onto full brake. if your rear is lifting too fast, let off maybe 5%. if your front lock, ditch the brakes and try to steer out of it. certain situations (lane splitting for example) mean you have no chance of steering out of it so in that case try to recover the traction by maybe only ditching half brakes... at least you'll slow the impact a bit.

Old July 2nd, 2011, 01:33 PM   #9
Cab305
ninjette.org sage

Good news for me! Most of the damage was easy to fix with some crazy glue and electrical tape. Hit the fairings with 1000 grit wet sandpaper and color match wax. Except for grinned down bar ends and clutch lever, as well as bent to sh_t shifter, bike looks perfect from 10 feet away.

Old July 2nd, 2011, 01:45 PM   #10
adri99an

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cab305 View Post
Good news for me! Most of the damage was easy to fix with some crazy glue and electrical tape. Hit the fairings with 1000 grit wet sandpaper and color match wax. Except for grinned down bar ends and clutch lever, as well as bent to sh_t shifter, bike looks perfect from 10 feet away.
What match wax is this? Pics???????

Old July 2nd, 2011, 01:47 PM   #11
n4mwd

Name: D

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Ninja 250R, 2007 EFI Ninja 250R

Sorry to hear you got sent down by a cager. And then they ran off just to make things that much worse.

I hope to get a video system up on my bike soon so if this kind of thing happens to me, I'll know where to find them.

I saw a poll on a website (I don't remember which one) but it asked "Have you ever left the scene of a car accident you were involved in without stopping?" I was pretty shocked to find that about 30% of the respondents said "yes". That is a freakin huge number. Of course web polls aren't all that scientific, but still, 30%.

Hope you and your bike heal up nice. Also, if you bend your shifter back, make sure you take it off first.
n4mwd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 2nd, 2011, 02:01 PM   #12
Cab305
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by n4mwd View Post
Also, if you bend your shifter back, make sure you take it off first.
Did this once at the track, took an anvil and a blowtorch to it (no money for new rear sets, lol) so it was already a weak link. I'll just have to maybe not pay my electrical bill this month and get rear sets and candles.

My bad, the wax, is not color match! Its just carnauba spray wax. Its been on the shelf since 2 cars ago.

Ill post pics of the bike, but like I said, it looks fine. Some of you might think I'm lying, for sympathy. Lol

Old July 2nd, 2011, 02:19 PM   #13
n4mwd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cab305 View Post
Did this once at the track, took an anvil and a blowtorch to it (no money for new rear sets, lol) so it was already a weak link. I'll just have to maybe not pay my electrical bill this month and get rear sets and candles.
I messed mine up when I droped it while I was learning to ride. I have a pregen, but its probably similar for the newgen. I just took it off and beat it back. Mine's chrome so a torch wouldn't work.

I started looking for a replacement with a folding peg, but never found one. A lot of other bikes have folding pegs so if you lay it down, the shifter isn't toast. Worst case, a brand new shifter is about $30. Occasionally, you'll see them on ebay for less.

If you have insurance, maybe check with them to see if they can do anything for you.

Old July 2nd, 2011, 02:40 PM   #14
Cab305
ninjette.org sage

The new gen. has folding pegs, so basically as I'll show in pictures there was 4 points of contact the bar-end/shifter lever, the rear swing arm slider, the foot shifter/kickstand and the farthest most out part of the fairing. The bike slid about 10 feet, a whole car length. You can see the bar ends how far they got ground down.

Here you can see where the fairing cracked a little, the turn signal broke between the stock and the bulb housing, easy crazy glue/electrical tape fix. (wires had come loose, had to reconnect)

The rear fairing got a little scratched, buffed most of it out. The tail light came loose and the left rear fairing had popped out of place, managed to re-bolt everything back on, but rear light is a little crooked (lost a bolt). You can also see how bent the foot shifter is.

This little $15 dollar piece of metal was a big win!

And lastly...

Like I said, the bike looks 100% from 5 feet away. There are some visible scratches along the fairing but my camera isn't good enough to really pick them up. My knee is not even worth a picture.

Old July 2nd, 2011, 02:56 PM   #15
rusninja
Ninjette wanabe :D

Name: Ruslan

Motorcycle(s): white 300 :D

Thats why we need to invent a stick to attach to the bike if a cage gets to close you tap on there car x]

Old July 2nd, 2011, 03:11 PM   #16
highpsiguy
ninjette.org guru

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): 1981 Honda Cx500 Custom, 2002 Ninja 250

I gotta do something to protect my knees. I ride in full gear except the pants. Still riding in blue jeans..... I know I know.......

Old July 2nd, 2011, 03:49 PM   #17
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
she doesn't look bad at all. two vices and a hammer plus sanding and paint after should fix that shifter lever.

Old July 2nd, 2011, 03:53 PM   #18
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by highpsiguy View Post
I gotta do something to protect my knees. I ride in full gear except the pants. Still riding in blue jeans..... I know I know.......
kevin- i got hit by a car in blue jeans. i was surprised my legs were the only thing completely uninjured even though they hit first and dragged. (the jeans got scuffed up quite a bit, though but i still wear them... now they look like those fancy "prescuffed" jeans... hah)
the skin under my leathers got torn up under the impact covers even though the leather was almost fine.

err... but yes... get better gear

Old July 2nd, 2011, 03:55 PM   #19
Momaru

Name: Paul

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Candy Plasma Blue 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusninja View Post
Thats why we need to invent a stick to attach to the bike if a cage gets to close you tap on there car x]
It's called a crowbar

Glad you're both OK Cab. Youre right though, if you didn't put arrows to the scuffs, I would've called bulls**t. Very lucky man. Shame you didn't get a license plate, but at least you remembered your skin-savers. Hope the knee heals quick.

Also, I think Richard from RaceBikeRentals may still have a spare shifter lever or two for relatively cheap (along with a handful of other parts), listed in the marketplace.

Old July 2nd, 2011, 03:57 PM   #20
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
isn't that what those girly tassles the harley guys ride with are for?

Old July 2nd, 2011, 04:05 PM   #21
Momaru

Name: Paul

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Candy Plasma Blue 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.s View Post
isn't that what those girly tassles the harley guys ride with are for?
And here I was just thinking they were to draw your eyes away from the butt-ugly bikes. Learn something every day

Old July 2nd, 2011, 04:09 PM   #22
coondog
ninjette.org sage

Name: john

Motorcycle(s): 2005 ninja 250 street fighter, 2008 street fighter ninja 500, 2001 nsr 125

Proves once again, this with an experienced adept rider, it can happen to anyone, everybody out there.
coondog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 2nd, 2011, 04:11 PM   #23
adri99an

Quote:
I too ride in blue jeans BUT I wear the icon shin guards underneath...nice piece of equipement~

Old July 2nd, 2011, 04:45 PM   #24
CC Cowboy

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
Cab, I have lost all respect for you. Crashing is for dummies!

Old July 2nd, 2011, 04:59 PM   #25
Cab305
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC Cowboy View Post
Cab, I have lost all respect for you. Crashing is for dummies!
LMFAO, sorry to let you down cowboy. lol

Old July 2nd, 2011, 05:04 PM   #26
ally99
Ninja chick

Name: Allyson

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300

MOTM - Dec '13, Feb '15
Glad you and the bike are ok!

Check out my Appalachian Trail journal, 2015!

Postwhores are COOL! ~Allyson
ally99 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 3rd, 2011, 06:37 AM   #27
n4mwd

Quote:
It seems that no matter what you wear, somebody will complain about it. I was wearing jeans. Then I got overpants because people said that jeans are no good. Now they tell me I'm better off with the jeans because the overpants melt and burn the skin. Sheesh.

Now this guy in the video has had enough of the bickering about which is best.

Link to original page on YouTube.

As for the shifter, that doesn't look like a folding peg shifter. It looks just like the pregen minus the chrome. Just remove it, hammer it straight, and it will be as good as new plus a few wrinkles.

The fixed peg is what catches on the ground and bends the rest of it. Here is an example of a folding peg shifter from another bike:

Direct link to image of shifter

Last futzed with by n4mwd; July 4th, 2011 at 05:41 AM.

Old July 5th, 2011, 07:59 AM   #28
Jinx250
Smoker

Name: Bob

Motorcycle(s): Guess....

Quote:
That **** is bound to happen....especially with cagers who don't look both ways but just change lanes.

We all know LOUD PIPES don't save lives but when I'm riding 20-25 mph my pipe is soooooo annoying that "some" cagers do hear me and notice.....and if that 1 cager heard me and was going to change lanes into me, but heard my annoying ass pipe...well the rest is history...defensive driving always wins.

What do you think you could've done to avoid this? I always go back and think what could I have done because we have NO control over others.
Actually, all you have to do is not ride next to or in the blid spot of other vehicles and it *won't* happen. You have 100% control over where you ride in relation to other vehicles.
Jinx250 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 5th, 2011, 12:11 PM   #29
ducducgooseit

Name: ...

Motorcycle(s): ...

Pass 'em at warp speed!!! jk jk jk. A little bit of space equals a very happy face. Do you (OP) think a bit more space allowance by you would have prevented them from getting you?
ducducgooseit is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 5th, 2011, 12:18 PM   #30
adri99an

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinx250 View Post
Actually, all you have to do is not ride next to or in the blid spot of other vehicles and it *won't* happen. You have 100% control over where you ride in relation to other vehicles.
I agree with you to a certain degree but there is a chance "something" can happen. Riding motorcycles involves chance....I've ridden as you've suggested but even having 100% control of where you ride can end in a mishap. I've been riding for over 15 years....I've seen weird things happen even if you drive as defensively as one wants.

Old July 5th, 2011, 12:25 PM   #31
bonbon76
ninjette.org member

Name: Bonnie

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250

I have had to slam my breaks at least three times to avoid going into the door of a cager yapping on the cell phone and either rolling through a stop sign aor just not plain looking. All three times, my breaks screetched like hell and my rear tire went to the side but straightened out. My question is, did you hit the front breaks alone???? or did you jam on both at the same time? Being a noobie I like to know these things to try and avoid as many mistakes as possible.

Thanks!

Old July 5th, 2011, 12:56 PM   #32
adri99an

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonbon76 View Post
I have had to slam my breaks at least three times to avoid going into the door of a cager yapping on the cell phone and either rolling through a stop sign aor just not plain looking. All three times, my breaks screetched like hell and my rear tire went to the side but straightened out. My question is, did you hit the front breaks alone???? or did you jam on both at the same time? Being a noobie I like to know these things to try and avoid as many mistakes as possible.

Thanks!
"B" - you should find an empty parking lot and practice some quick stops. Imagine the scenarios you've been in and try them out in the lot. Being new to riding- the 1 thing that gets new riders into trouble is slamming on the breaks and locking up the tire. I usually go 60% front 40% rear on a quick stop- speed also factors into this as well as being surprised. Practicing in an empty lot how to use the brakes properly is your best defense because I guarantee it will happen again! Because sh*t happens whether your drive perfectly or not!

Old July 5th, 2011, 01:15 PM   #33
bonbon76
ninjette.org member

Quote:
"B" - you should find an empty parking lot and practice some quick stops. Imagine the scenarios you've been in and try them out in the lot. Being new to riding- the 1 thing that gets new riders into trouble is slamming on the breaks and locking up the tire. I usually go 60% front 40% rear on a quick stop- speed also factors into this as well as being surprised. Practicing in an empty lot how to use the brakes properly is your best defense because I guarantee it will happen again! Because sh*t happens whether your drive perfectly or not!
Like I said, Ive been good so far and have HAD to make some serious quick stops and thankfully they turned out ok. I guess Im just trying to figure out with those who dont stop successfully, what exactly happened...

so far... 3 x's sucess! LOL... so I totally agree, It happens alot!!! Silly cagers!

Old July 5th, 2011, 01:45 PM   #34
money
ninjette.org member

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250r

I think he's suggesting practice because you said this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonbon76 View Post
All three times, my breaks screetched like hell and my rear tire went to the side but straightened out.
I believe a correct emergency stop shouldn't lock up either wheel, since it takes more distance to stop when you're skidding.

Old July 5th, 2011, 01:48 PM   #35
adri99an

+1 Money
Posted via Mobile Device

Old July 5th, 2011, 03:26 PM   #36
Yasko
Texas Newbie

Name: John

Motorcycle(s): 07 Ninja EX250, 07 FZ6

Glad you're ok... Any photos of your knee pads and gear???
Yasko is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 5th, 2011, 05:18 PM   #37
Snake

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 05 Blue Ninja 250

MOTY - 2017, MOTM - Jan '19, Oct '16, May '14
Glad to hear you are ok.
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 6th, 2011, 05:26 AM   #38
bonbon76
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by money View Post
I think he's suggesting practice because you said this:

I believe a correct emergency stop shouldn't lock up either wheel, since it takes more distance to stop when you're skidding.
OHHHHHHHH... gotcha!!!!!! LOL... So if done correctly, no screetching at all huh??? Eeeesh... lots of practice ahead then

Old July 7th, 2011, 07:21 AM   #39
Lt Tom
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Tom

Motorcycle(s): I'm between bikes right now

Quote:
We all know LOUD PIPES don't save lives but when I'm riding 20-25 mph my pipe is soooooo annoying that "some" cagers do hear me and notice.........
Sometimes they will hear you, but over the years I have found that intentionally annoying the person driving the 4000 lb weapon in the next lane is frequently a bad idea..........

Have Fun,
Lt Tom
Lt Tom is offline   Reply With Quote