ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old March 14th, 2012, 03:44 PM   #1
Bosgarage57
ninjette.org sage

Name: Luke

Motorcycle(s): 06 Buell Uly, 05 VStar 1100

For those who installed K&N aftermarket air filter

Im installing an K&N single airfilter right now, taking the old air box out, my question is, what did you guys do with the air breather that comes from the crank case and went into the airbox?
Bosgarage57 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 14th, 2012, 03:51 PM   #2
choneofakind
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/What_do...e_vent_hose%3F

here's something I found that looks like it should work just fine when I was pricing out doing that to my bike. http://www.amazon.com/Uni-Filter-UP-...=1GJVBLRZ7DXB1
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 14th, 2012, 05:32 PM   #3
Bosgarage57
ninjette.org sage

Thanks CH, you saved my butt again! I went to local autozone and picked up a cheap breather and some radiator hose. Works pretty great.

Old March 14th, 2012, 05:35 PM   #4
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
WOOT!

having fun jetting yet?

Old March 14th, 2012, 05:43 PM   #5
Bosgarage57
ninjette.org sage

lol didnt get it all back together tonight. I've played around with the jetting before becuase I have an area P on it, but it wont rev past 8k. I think its getting too much gas......not sure though. Im going to get it all buttoned up tomorrow and resync the carbs "just in case" then fun with the jetting.

Old March 14th, 2012, 05:52 PM   #6
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
hmmm, won't rev past 8k, just installed a single pod filter, I'm guessing it's lean

seriously though, with that and a full area P, you should be expecting to be running either 110 or 112's most likely. Test 108, 110, and 112 mains. 105's aren't going to be enough.

Old March 14th, 2012, 06:17 PM   #7
Zaydoc
ninjette.org member

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 2004 Ninja 250R

Go to autozone and pickup a spectra breather filter. You can either drill the hole out with a 1/2" bit or buy an adapter.
Posted via Mobile Device
Zaydoc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 16th, 2012, 10:25 AM   #8
Skippii
Milkshake Drinker

Name: Skippii

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Orange DRZ400-S, 2005 Ninja 250 & Custom Thundercunt Dirt Chopper

I just stuck a fuel filter on the end of the hose to keep dust from getting in the engine.
K&N pods are, IMHO, pretty much the only "performance mod" that actually makes a measurable difference.

Old March 16th, 2012, 10:40 AM   #9
Bosgarage57
ninjette.org sage

Thanks skippii, what did you do with the battery? We were thinking of cutting the airbox to get the battery box off, it'll still bolt down. Is that what you did?

Old March 16th, 2012, 11:16 AM   #10
flynjay
ninjette.org guru

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250 (sold), '06 Ninja 650R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosgarage57 View Post
Im installing an K&N single airfilter right now, taking the old air box out, my question is, what did you guys do with the air breather that comes from the crank case and went into the airbox?
I went to the local hobby store and bought a carb filter for nitro cars.

Quote:
Thanks skippii, what did you do with the battery? We were thinking of cutting the airbox to get the battery box off, it'll still bolt down. Is that what you did?
I cut the battery box off. I have the tool kit wedged in behind the battery to keep if from moving too much.

You are going to love installing the carbs now, soooo much room to work with!
flynjay is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 16th, 2012, 12:05 PM   #11
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

After installing an aftermarket undertail, my battery box dangles from the bolts on top of the frame/under the seat. It doesn't have anything to do with the airbox so I'm having a hard time visualizing how it would interfere with K&N pods that occupy the space the airbox used to be in.

Edit: Well, my perspective *IS* coming from a current-gen. IGNORE ME!

Last futzed with by CZroe; March 16th, 2012 at 08:21 PM.
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 16th, 2012, 01:46 PM   #12
Skippii
Milkshake Drinker

Name: Skippii

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Orange DRZ400-S, 2005 Ninja 250 & Custom Thundercunt Dirt Chopper

I can't remember what I did. I removed the airbox by smashing it with a hammer into small pieces so I could remove it and the carbs easily.
Posted via Mobile Device
Skippii is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 16th, 2012, 02:20 PM   #13
greg737
-

Name: -

Motorcycle(s): -

During my FI project I installed a K&N 0990 filter. That left the crankcase breather with nothing to connect to so I inserted a piece of tight-fitting tubing into it and routed it up to the back of the 0990 filter. I drilled a right-sized hole in the back of the filter and press fit the other end of the tubing into it.

So now my EX-250 crankcase breather functions like it did in the stock setup, and that means its opening is protected inside the air filter and when the bike is operating it is subjected to the slight negative pressure (suction) produced in the air filter.

About the airbox. I kept the battery holder part and the floor of the airbox. I liked that it could be bolted right back into the bike with plenty of room for the K&N filter to be removed easily. It's great to be able to keep the battery secured in its OEM position and the OEM toolkit still fits in its original position.

I used the frontside of the battery holder and the floor of the airbox to mount various components of my FI system.
greg737 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 16th, 2012, 09:22 PM   #14
lc86
ninjette.org guru

Name: Samual

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250r (RIP)

Quote:
lol didnt get it all back together tonight. I've played around with the jetting before becuase I have an area P on it, but it wont rev past 8k. I think its getting too much gas......not sure though. Im going to get it all buttoned up tomorrow and resync the carbs "just in case" then fun with the jetting.
If you look at this walkthrough for installing it http://www.kawiforums.com/ninja-250r...ir-filter.html the author writes that " Also I learned the hard way that you NEED to re-jet before you can really run without the air box. If you're going to rip out the factory air box make sure you have a jet kit (with jet sizes 110-115 or so). Otherwise the bike will run so lean you won't be able to rev past 5k or so. (Look on the bright side, changing jets is a cinch after that damned air box is gone!)"

I didn't have this problem when I installed mine because of the EFI kit

Quote:
here's something I found that looks like it should work just fine when I was pricing out doing that to my bike.
Thats the exact one I bought for mine, works perfect.

Quote:
I can't remember what I did. I removed the airbox by smashing it with a hammer into small pieces so I could remove it and the carbs easily.
I used a very big pair of dykes to help in my 'removal' of the airbox, once it was out I finished it off with a hammer...may it burn in hell.
lc86 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 17th, 2012, 09:59 AM   #15
Snake

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 05 Blue Ninja 250

MOTY - 2017, MOTM - Jan '19, Oct '16, May '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg737 View Post
During my FI project I installed a K&N 0990 filter. That left the crankcase breather with nothing to connect to so I inserted a piece of tight-fitting tubing into it and routed it up to the back of the 0990 filter. I drilled a right-sized hole in the back of the filter and press fit the other end of the tubing into it.

So now my EX-250 crankcase breather functions like it did in the stock setup, and that means its opening is protected inside the air filter and when the bike is operating it is subjected to the slight negative pressure (suction) produced in the air filter.

About the airbox. I kept the battery holder part and the floor of the airbox. I liked that it could be bolted right back into the bike with plenty of room for the K&N filter to be removed easily. It's great to be able to keep the battery secured in its OEM position and the OEM toolkit still fits in its original position.

I used the frontside of the battery holder and the floor of the airbox to mount various components of my FI system.
Greg,
I love your idea of running the crankcase breather tube to the back of the filter.
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote