ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old August 19th, 2009, 07:43 AM   #1
cifex
ninjette.org guru

Name: Z

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R (sold)

Giving your lady a bath....

How is it you all clean your ninjettes? The fairings are pretty easy, my questions is more for the wheels. Is there a good way to get all that chain sling off her?
cifex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 19th, 2009, 07:45 AM   #2
Banzai
Psychic war veteran

Name: Thomas

Motorcycle(s): Kawi Green '09 Ninja ZX6R

I spray the wheels down with Greased Lightning brand orange cleaner, let soak a few minutes, and wipe clean with the rest of the washing. Always comes nice and clean with very little effort. The orange cleaner cuts right through all the brake dust, road grime, and chain fling.

Last futzed with by Banzai; August 20th, 2009 at 04:25 AM.
Banzai is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 19th, 2009, 07:46 AM   #3
rockNroll

Name: rock

Motorcycle(s): black

Quote:
Originally Posted by cifex View Post
How is it you all clean your ninjettes? The fairings are pretty easy, my questions is more for the wheals. Is there a good way to get all that chain sling off her?
Wipe the wheels with WD40. You'll get the gunk off and leave them shiny and future cleanings will be easier. Use it to clean the swing arm and chain guard too .Don't get WD40 on the tires, spray it on a rag and wipe.
rockNroll is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 21st, 2009, 09:39 PM   #4
tc3jg
ninjette.org member

Name: Justin

Motorcycle(s): 08 ninja 250r

get a rear stand to prop the bike up (so its not on that dumb lean) allows for easier time cleaning....then I get out the soap and bucket and go at it....I usually spin the rear wheel while on the rear stand to get it real good.
tc3jg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 21st, 2009, 09:48 PM   #5
kkim

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=11311&

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=12334&
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 23rd, 2009, 09:32 PM   #6
Momaru
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Paul

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Candy Plasma Blue 250R

Any suggestions other than a few long brushes to get in those nooks & crannies where grime just loves to collect, like around the engine, lower fairings & where the swing arms join in front of the rear tire? Getting tired of destroying wash mitts, etc clearing road gunk out of there & paranoid of using them more'n a couple times for fear of dragging that stuff on the clearcoat/paint on a subsequent wash. I admittedly have never owned a car nice enough to take this kind of care of, else I'd use tricks from that. Betting engine cleaner would help, but rather ask before making an epic mistake. Thanks!

Old August 23rd, 2009, 09:38 PM   #7
kkim

I use a 4" wide paint brush for scrubbing the hard to reach spots.
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 23rd, 2009, 09:42 PM   #8
Momaru

Name: Paul

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Candy Plasma Blue 250R

Haha, ok. Suppose I should've re-read the other threads already cited

Thanks~

Last futzed with by Momaru; August 24th, 2009 at 10:09 AM.
Momaru is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 11th, 2010, 03:45 PM   #9
DarkNinja52
ninjette.org sage

Name: aj

Motorcycle(s): Red 09 Ninja 250r aka Sheila (RIP), Red '10 Ninja 250r aka Sasha (Sold), White '13 Ninja 300 (To be Purchased)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockNroll View Post
Wipe the wheels with WD40. You'll get the gunk off and leave them shiny and future cleanings will be easier. Use it to clean the swing arm and chain guard too .Don't get WD40 on the tires, spray it on a rag and wipe.
+1 wd40 does wonders for the wheels, but definitely dont get it on the tires

Old March 11th, 2010, 08:01 PM   #10
Mo1981
ninjette.org member

Name: Matt

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ebony Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockNroll View Post
+1 on this one... WD40 is the way to go. Spray it on a rag and then wipe the wheels down.

2008 Ebony Ninja 250R (a.k.a. "Venom")
Mo1981 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 11th, 2010, 08:35 PM   #11
komohana

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): 05 GSX-R 600 2003 EX250: Woodcraft Bars, Levers, Mirrors, Shim'd Mixture, Synthetic, '08 Rear Shock

I do the chain lube AFTER i've been riding ... chain nice and toastie ... had overnight at the least to soak in ...

nooks and crannies ... i remove the bottom and side covers (below seat on each side) at least once a month and put some water'd down simple green on them places...DON'T do it when engine is warm...or let it dry on ya....take parts brush and get yer knees dirty abit...rinse/wipe/light wd coat and c ya!

Remember when sex was safe
and motorcycles were dangerous?
komohana is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 12th, 2010, 12:05 AM   #12
DarkNinja52
ninjette.org sage

Name: aj

Motorcycle(s): Red 09 Ninja 250r aka Sheila (RIP), Red '10 Ninja 250r aka Sasha (Sold), White '13 Ninja 300 (To be Purchased)

anyone got anything really good for keepin "them plastic parts" nice and shiny... easy to get the dirt off, just some soap and water, but i barely even wash my car.. so idk how these things work? do you just throw some wax on there or anything else special.. and like i mean i want them really shinyy, atleast for the first ride of the season.

Old March 12th, 2010, 01:11 AM   #13
Cedilla
ninjette.org sage

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250 (sold)

I let mother nature wash my bike. When ever we have a big storm creeps up on us, the cover usually blows off, the bike gets sprayed by rain coming at all angles, and air dried by the high winds and/or tornadoes. It's the same way I wash my car too.

Old March 12th, 2010, 05:16 AM   #14
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Quote:
Originally Posted by komohana View Post
I do the chain lube AFTER i've been riding ... chain nice and toastie ... had overnight at the least to soak in ...

nooks and crannies ... i remove the bottom and side covers (below seat on each side) at least once a month and put some water'd down simple green on them places...DON'T do it when engine is warm...or let it dry on ya....take parts brush and get yer knees dirty abit...rinse/wipe/light wd coat and c ya!
The manual says not to use any enzymatic cleaners. They can eat away at seals, lubricants, and such.
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 12th, 2010, 10:27 AM   #15
Snake

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 05 Blue Ninja 250

MOTY - 2017, MOTM - Jan '19, Oct '16, May '14
I neverthought of using wd-40 to clean with. Thanks for the suggestion. I will use it on my next wash.
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 12th, 2010, 03:25 PM   #16
Sailariel

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Honda NT-700-V, formerly, Green 2008 Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkNinja52 View Post
anyone got anything really good for keepin "them plastic parts" nice and shiny... easy to get the dirt off, just some soap and water, but i barely even wash my car.. so idk how these things work? do you just throw some wax on there or anything else special.. and like i mean i want them really shinyy, atleast for the first ride of the season.
I use Liquid Glass--a bit pricey at $16 a Pint, but a little goes a long way. Do three coats as per directions an you will have a shine that is superb. We used it on our Corvettes.
Sailariel is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 12th, 2010, 03:47 PM   #17
OldGuy
Live Life

Name: Don

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Green SE Ninja 250

Mothers or Meguires (sp) detail spray is quick and easy.

Old March 13th, 2010, 07:02 AM   #18
Banzai
Psychic war veteran

Name: Thomas

Motorcycle(s): Kawi Green '09 Ninja ZX6R

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkNinja52 View Post

Wash the bike well, wax it with a premium wax, and then use spray detailer and microfiber rags after each ride, or at least once a week and it'll stay nice and sparkly so you only have to wash and wax it a few times a season.

Maguiers is good, and but Ice is simply amazing!

Oh, and consider investing $20 into a cheap electric leaf blower, to blow dry the bike after washing and force all that water out of the nooks and crannies. You'll be amazed how much easier and faster washes go!

Old March 13th, 2010, 12:18 PM   #19
JokerSeven
Ride it like you stole it

Name: Jeremy

Motorcycle(s): '09 Ninja 250R, '04 R6(sold)

I like to use Lucas Slick Mist on the plastics. It works great.

Never thought of WD40 on the wheels. I was using Windex .
JokerSeven is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 13th, 2010, 01:18 PM   #20
mrlmd
ninjette.org sage

Name: Marc

Motorcycle(s): 2005 Suzuki S50, 2006 Kawasaki Ninja EX250F, 1990 Honda PC800, 2000 Yamaha TW200

Don't laugh, I've seen this on a few other biker forums.
Clean your bike with Lemon Pledge.
Spritz it on, wipe it off, it works, I use it on both of mine and it's quick and easy. Makes the bike smell nice too!
mrlmd is offline   Reply With Quote