ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old July 13th, 2017, 01:10 PM   #1
LR44
ninjette.org member

Name: Brian

Motorcycle(s): 2003 Ninja 250R

Angry Body Panels Not Fitting

Hello!

Long story short: I bought a 2003 EX250F off of Craigslist for a song. It isn't running but after looking over the bike, it appears that it just needs a new battery and a thorough carb cleaning.

My issue isn't mechanical - its with the body work. When I bought the bike, I noticed the side panels weren't aligned with the gas tank. If you look at the pictures I posted below, the top of the side panel doesn't rest nearly as close to the gas tank as I have seen on other EX250Fs (in one of the photos below the left side panel is practically resting on the petcock knob). I added the front cowling and took a picture with the screws removed to show that it appears the gas tank isn't aligned with the cowling either. I checked to ensure that the tank bumpers were installed correctly and that the screws at the bottom of the tank were fully seated.

Has anyone else had this issue? I assume the body panels should mesh without issue but for some reason mine do not. Any suggestions for a fix would be most appreciated
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0214.jpg (133.3 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0215.jpg (102.1 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0220.jpg (107.7 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0221.jpg (149.7 KB, 16 views)
LR44 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 13th, 2017, 04:42 PM   #2
DannoXYZ
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
Are all the plastic pegs under the body-panels in OK condition?
Are they going into the rubber grommets on the tank OK?

Post picture of back-side of body-panels.
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 13th, 2017, 05:03 PM   #3
LR44
ninjette.org member

Each side panel is missing a peg in the same place. I'm unable to take a picture of it at the moment but I pulled a picture off of eBay that looks virtually identical to the underside of my side panels. Note that the missing peg is the lower peg on the end nearest to the fender.

The pegs appear to go into the grommets without any issue.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg s-l1600.jpg (45.9 KB, 2 views)

Old July 13th, 2017, 08:29 PM   #4
Ghostt
in your machine

Name: Scott

Motorcycle(s): 98 Ninja 250/F12 aka ZX-2R "SERENITY", 91 Ninja 500/A5 aka ZX-5R "Phoenix", 84 Honda GL1200A "SIREN"

MOTM - Jun '17, May '16, Mar '15
Make sure the rubber grommet is the tank part, if they are and they are fitting snuggle, then that's about all you can do.

I looked carefully at your pics, and the grommets are in place, as long as the tabs fit it, then that's about it.

ZX-2R BLOG
Twitter and Instagram = Ghostt_Scott
I'm not here to change your mind, just to inform.
Ghostt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 13th, 2017, 09:55 PM   #5
LR44
ninjette.org member

Ok I'll check to make sure I have the correct grommet for the tank. One of the previous owners was careless with their reassembly and reinstalled some parts in the wrong places (ex: puncturing the fuel tank on both sides by using the incorrect screw ), so this may be one of those cases.

My new tank is due to arrive tomorrow so I'll see if it might be the current tank that's causing the problem. I guess I'm most worried that the issue is due to a bent frame, although I haven't seen any evidence that would suggest that it is.

Old July 14th, 2017, 06:24 AM   #6
Ram Jet

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Kawasaki 250 Ninja, 1982 Honda Ascot FT500

Quote:
Originally Posted by LR44 View Post
Hello!

Long story short: I bought a 2003 EX250F off of Craigslist for a song. It isn't running but after looking over the bike, it appears that it just needs a new battery and a thorough carb cleaning.

My issue isn't mechanical - its with the body work. When I bought the bike, I noticed the side panels weren't aligned with the gas tank. If you look at the pictures I posted below, the top of the side panel doesn't rest nearly as close to the gas tank as I have seen on other EX250Fs (in one of the photos below the left side panel is practically resting on the petcock knob). I added the front cowling and took a picture with the screws removed to show that it appears the gas tank isn't aligned with the cowling either. I checked to ensure that the tank bumpers were installed correctly and that the screws at the bottom of the tank were fully seated.

Has anyone else had this issue? I assume the body panels should mesh without issue but for some reason mine do not. Any suggestions for a fix would be most appreciated
I have the same gap, about 1/4" between my tank and side panels/cover. I think you're OK. I had to replace a pin on my other bike, a Honda. I went to a salvage yard for my replacement pin but now they sell them on eBay. I fastened my replacement pin with epoxy, See photo. I had to build-up the base the pin attaches to. I then cleaned all the hollow pockets under the remaining pins with a Q Tip and lacquer thinner and filled them with JB Weld. One of the pins on my Kaw was partially broken off and I peeled off the attempted repair of the Gorrilla glue and performed the same repair on my Kawasaki.

When you are removing the side covers remember to pull them straight toward you. Don't pry the cover off from the bottom or top. Grab the bottom and top at the same time and pull. That way you don't break-off the pins.

Kawasaki made the pin mounts with a hollow base because if they injection molded the side covers solid with plastic bases shallow dimples would form on the outside (show side) of the side covers when the ABS cooled and shrank.

Again, I think your side panels fit the way they are supposed to.

Bill
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 002.jpg (46.3 KB, 0 views)
Ram Jet is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 14th, 2017, 11:07 AM   #7
DannoXYZ

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
If grommets aren't loose and worn, you can adjust location of the eyelet brackets.
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote