Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Motorcycling News

Notices

Old July 8th, 2008, 09:55 AM   #1
Ninjette Newsbot
All the news that's fit to excerpt

Name: newsie

Motorcycle(s): only digital replicas

[2fiddy.com] - 2008+ Ninja 250R Reliability

Our lil Ninjas have been out for over 6 months now.. And people are racking up the miles left and right on these guys both on the street and the track. So, I think now is a great time to talk about the short term reliability of these bikes, and any issues we have seen or heard about.

Below are the four main areas I usually see discussed, and if anyone has anything to add, by all means, please do so.

Transmission — I have seen very few transmission discussions that included any major issues. I do see a theme that the transmission is a tad wonky for the first 500-600 Miles, but once it breaks in all the issue go away. The issues I see discussed are False Neutral Between 5th-6th, and Jammed Positive neutral finders when you stop in any gear higher than 1st. However, Once you get about 500 miles on the bike these both seem to go away. As of now, I have only seen 1 mention of a bad transmission replaced under warranty.

Engine — I don’t think I have seen or heard about any engine reliability issues. There is some question out there how well the engine will hold up to the stock leanness, but even then the AFR’s are still within safe spec. So no one seems to be worrying..

Electrical — There are quite a few issues with pinched wires by the forks causing shorts and popping fuses during start. I have also seen one or two people that claimed to have bad stators (alternators) — but it was just questioned if they killed the battery being silly.

Etc — The only think that comes to mind is the whistling gas caps. Which isn’t really a reliability problem as much as it’s a nuisance. Chains, clutches, forks, suspension, brakes, etc. etc. just never seem to come up with issues.

Overall I’m really impressed with the short term reliability. Only time will tell tho how our lil Ninjas stand up to the rigors of time. But, considering the longevity of previous ninjas 250’s (all like 20 years of them) — and how much is shared with those generations of this bike — I think we might be in good shape.

Did I miss anything? Anyone have anything to add?

Click here for full story...