Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Motorcycling News

Notices

Old September 9th, 2008, 03:10 PM   #1
Ninjette Newsbot
All the news that's fit to excerpt

Name: newsie

Motorcycle(s): only digital replicas

[2fiddy.com] - Best Mods/Parts for the Ninja 250R

What mods or Parts are the best ones for the Ninja 250R? Which should I do First?

… Seems to be the first question to pop into mind for every new boy and girl as they wait for Kawasanta to bring them their shiny new 2009 Ninja 250R? (Or wait for a 2008 to show up on a dealers lot)

Granted this topic is completely objective.. The best mods are the ones you’re happy with — But to help steer you in the right direction, I’ll throw my $.02 into the ring, and feel free to do so yourself in the comments.

#1: Good Riding Gear - There are lots of new riders on this bike, so I know many of you will be starting from scratch… Spend your money on gear! Good gear will last you a long time, and save your butt when you need it the most! DO NOT SKIMP ON GEAR TO SAVE MONEY FOR PARTS!

#2: Needle Shim / Jet Kit - These bikes tend to be a bit anemic. Adding a jet kit or shimming your needles will give you the most bang for your buck of any ‘performance’ mod. (Unless you’re one of those lucky Bastards in AU, UK, Indo, Japan, etc. that has fuel injection…)

#3: Stainless Braided Brake Lines - The stock lines are just Squishy and don’t give much feedback… This is a decent 100$ mod that will get you lots of bang for your buck… Just make sure if you don’t know what you’re doing you get some help… Brakes are well.. You know.. Kinda important.

#4: Fender Eliminator - Sorry to everyone that lives in an area where these are illegal.. But the rear fender is horrible.. Chop that crap off, or find an aftermarket part.

#5: Rear Seat Cowl - This is both for aesthetics and safety. Two up on the 250R is a bit shady to me. I think it brings a lot of people out of their comfort zone for riding, and also the additional weight brings the 250R close to the limits of safe riding. The Seat cowl looks great, and makes 2 up riding a non issue.

#6: Exhaust - I know most people will put this as #1 or #2 on their list. But, it’s just one of those parts that too many people just slap on without thinking much about it. You can do all of the above for the same price or less than a slip-on can… Much more bang for the buck, and IMHO worth waiting on.

#7: Windscreen - Again, mostly aesthetics, but the windscreens like the double bubble does help quite a bit with wind management on this bike giving it some more stability on the Highway and allowing for some color to return to your knuckles.

#8: Frame Sliders - Cheap insurance for both new riders, and vets a like. Body panels and parts are still hard to come by for the Ninja 250R. So anything you can save with 100$ set of sliders will save you lots of time, money, and frustration in the long run.

#9: Sprockets - Swapping out your sprockets by this point can help lower your rotating mass, and also up your gearing a little bit to take advantage of the power you found from the jet kit and exhaust.. Some people also claim to see increases in MPG (for you Highway kiddies) — but the jury is still out on that one.

#10: Everything Else - Have fun with this bike. There are more and more parts coming onto the market, plus lots of “universal” parts like tank pads, grips, pegs, etc. that will bolt right up..

Use your imagination, and remember — it’s your bike, not mine, or anyone else’s do what you want with it.. (As long as you follow #1.. )

Click here for full story...