Notices

Old March 7th, 2013, 03:39 PM   #1
CC Cowboy
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
Daytona Bike Week

I know most people think Bike Week sucks but maybe they just don't know where to go and what to do:

Mar 7, 2013
More Things To See And Do During Daytona Bike Week 2013
© 2013, Roadracing World Publishing, Inc. From a press release issued by American Motorcyclist Association
Daytona Beach Bike Week features full slate of two-wheeled fun

PICKERINGTON, Ohio -- On Jan. 24, 1937, the first running of the Daytona 200 took place on the hard sand of Daytona Beach, Fla. Since that race, won by AMA Motorcycle Hall of Famer Ed Kretz of Monterey Park, Calif., the annual event has grown into a motorcycling mecca, packed full of racing and recreational riding events.

This year, AMA-sanctioned events will be among the most popular Bike Week attractions, from amateur dirt-track racing to an AMA Motorcycle Hall of Fame celebration to AMA Supercross on the infield of Daytona International Speedway.

"Daytona Beach in early March is all things motorcycling," said AMA Vice President of Operations Jeff Massey. "If it happens on motorcycles, it happens at Daytona Beach. I personally can't wait for the unofficial start of riding season to kick off at what many consider the biggest motorcycling week of the year."

Motorcycling's history will take center stage on March 15 at the Yamaha AMA Motorcycle Hall of Fame Breakfast at Daytona, presented by Motul. The annual fundraising event for the AMA Motorcycle Hall of Fame, a 501(c)(3) non-profit, will be held at the Daytona 200 Club on the infield of Daytona International Speedway. This year, it will shine a spotlight on the Hall of Fame career of Scott Russell. Russell, who will be interviewed by noted race announcer Ben Cheatwood, will discuss his amazing five Daytona 200 wins as well as his championship-winning AMA and World Superbike career. Buy tickets and learn more at www.motorcyclemuseum.org.

One of the biggest rounds of the AMA Supercross Championship goes down March 9 at the Daytona Supercross by Honda, the 10th round of the series. Located on the infield of the hallowed grounds of Daytona International Speedway, the course features a varied layout with extended high-speed sections, massive jumps and a sand/dirt mix. Fans will be packed several deep along the fences to watch Ryan Villopoto, Ryan Dungey, Davi Millsaps, James Stewart and more race for glory as the 2013 winner of the Daytona Supercross by Honda. More info is at www.amasupercross.com.

Amateur competitors will get a shot at the Supercross course the following two days, March 10-11, at the Ricky Carmichael Daytona Amateur Supercross. Sanctioned by the AMA, and in partnership with MX Sports, the fourth annual event features two days of amateur racing at the same track that will showcase the best AMA Supercross racers in the world. Sign up to race at www.mxsports.com.

Off-road racers will get to experience their own history at the Alligator Enduro on March 14 in Favoretta, Fla. The Alligator Enduro has been thrilling both racers and fans for 63 years. Although the race isn't always on the AMA National Enduro Championship Series calendar, it always draws a large contingent of pro riders -- as well as weekend warriors who want to line up at the historic event. Find out more at www.daytonadirtriders.com.

Amateur dirt track kicks off just north of Daytona Beach in Savannah, Ga., which features an AMA All-Star dirt track on Oglethorpe Speedway's half-mile on March 8 and an AMA Holeshot event and vintage national classes on March 9. On March 10-12, racing moves to Barberville, Fla., while March 10 will also feature an amateur short-track event on the Daytona Flat Track. The March 11-12 events will feature both AMA Holeshot points and racing in AMA vintage national classes. To contact the AMA about these events, see www.americanmotorcyclist.com/racing or call (614) 856-1900.

Amateur roadracing will also roll through Savannah, Ga., on March 9-10. The first round of the American Sportbike Racing Association's AMA Featured Series will take place at Roebling Road Raceway. The ASRA Championship Series (www.asraracing.com) includes both amateur and expert competition in Thunderbike, SportBike and SuperStock classes.

Of course, Bike Week is not just about racing. Road riders make up the largest contingent at the annual rally. One place they'll certainly congregate is at the Alligator Road Tour on March 13. This AMA-sanctioned ride is put on by the Daytona 200 M/C. The club, founded in 1943, is one of the oldest and most active in the state, and the ride features 150-200 miles of beautiful country roads, as well as a mystery destination for lunch. Registration is from 9:30 a.m. to 11 a.m. at the Daytona 200 Motorcycle Club. More info is available at www.daytona200mc.com.

For a dirtier time on two wheels, there's the Cross-Florida Adventure Ride. This ride is part of the AMA Husqvarna National Dual Sport Series and the AMA Yamaha Super Ténéré Adventure Riding Series. The March 16-17 ride features some of the best back roads and optional trail sections crossing the peninsula. Find out more at www.dixiedualsport.com.

Another highlight for road riders is the Annual Iron Butt Association Party in Jacksonville, Fla. The event, March 13-14, also features the Battlefield 1000, an endurance road ride around Georgia and Florida. See www.ironbutt.com/daytona/ for more info.

Finally, the ever-popular March 16 Community Appreciation Parade, sponsored by the Daytona Beach Chamber of Commerce, will stage at the south parking lot of the Ocean Center beginning at 7 a.m. The parade is expected to feature hundreds of bikes as it rides from the Ocean Center to Daytona International Speedway.

For more on the Community Appreciation Parade, as well as a comprehensive list of all the two-wheeled excitement packed into Daytona Beach Bike Week, check out the official Bike Week calendar at www.daytonachamber.com.

Old March 10th, 2013, 05:12 PM   #2
CC Cowboy

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
Even though Daytona Bike week sucks I found myself close by and decided I would check it out. My son and I did the Supercross on Saturday night and was extremely disappointed to find out there were NO Monster girls. The stinking Supercross was hosted by Honda (which sucks in every way) and so they had Honda girls there. The race was good to watch and I decided that I would race Supercross if they ever decided to limit it to 3 laps. I don't think I would last any longer than that.

Sunday my son and I went back to the track to do some demo rides and find out which is truely the best bike in the universe. Unfortunately, they only had Kawasaki, Suzuki, Yamaha, and Harley Davidson test rides. Well, since we all know real men only ride 1000s or bigger we had a tough time getting in on Kawasaki and Suzuki which were booked full. I know the girl who works at the Kawasaki Demo so we can ride their 1000 tomorrow. Yamaha test riders have to be 21 so they can eat poop and Honda doesn't offer test rides so I couldn't tell them to F-off. That left Harley Davidson. They were the most friendly of all the manufacturers and they let you go out by yourself. We started with the Sportster 1200. It was nice but I was dragging pegs and pipes in most turns. We stepped up to the Superglide and it was comfy and fun to ride. I think I could ride that bike all day and be completely happy. We moved on to two other biked called dark rider of night rider or something stupid like that. They both dragged pegs and pipes and were no fun. My son then rode the V-Rod and loved it. We each took out Softail Deluxe models and they look beautiful and rode fine. Tomorrow we are going back. My son will ride the Kawai and Suzuki 1000 and I'm testing a Road King, then Deluxe and Superglide again. I think it's time for another Harley this summer.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old March 13th, 2013, 08:11 AM   #3
backinthesaddleagain

Name: Greg

Motorcycle(s): 2013 ZX6R 636

If you see someone in a black razee trackday sweatshirt, that will be me. Hopefully it will be warm and i won't need the sweatshirt.
backinthesaddleagain is offline   Reply With Quote