ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Videos

Old September 25th, 2011, 01:58 PM   #1
greg737
-

Name: -

Motorcycle(s): -

Video profile: my '05 EX250 fuel injection project.

Link to original page on YouTube.

greg737 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 25th, 2011, 05:37 PM   #2
CynicalC
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Colin

Motorcycle(s): '96 EX250

I know the purpose of this project wasn't for any performance gains... But all said and done, has anything really changed or does it basically feel like you're still riding the same bike?

How similar is your setup to the OEM fuel injected ninja?

Old September 25th, 2011, 05:59 PM   #3
choneofakind

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Great video. Your setup makes good sense, everything is well thought through, and you did an awesome job of explaining it.

mad props sir
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 25th, 2011, 11:49 PM   #4
greg737
-

Quote:
How similar is your setup to the OEM fuel injected ninja?
In a few ways its very similar: same throttle body and injectors, same operating fuel pressure (about 42psi).

But there are more differences than similarities: my system is "fuel only" right now which means that the bike's original ignition box is still controlling the spark. also, my fuel system doesn't use an in-tank pump (it uses an external pump with a fuel cooler on the return loop).

Next spring/summer I'll be continuing work on my project bike to include ignition control.

But on the whole I'd say that my setup really is pretty far removed from the OEM version. The factory fuel injection uses a lot of tricks and enhancements that derive from high-dollar engineering development and years of experience both in fuel injection and ignition control.

I don't think the differences make any noticable extra horsepower, but what they do for Kawasaki is deliver an absolutely bullet-proof, smoothly integrated, reliable and thoroughly ridable product that can be confidently sold to the general public.

My project bike, which starts and runs great, will always be something of a "work in progress" and is probably a bit more delicate and somewhat less reliable than the OEM bike (I won't be taking it across the U.S.A.), but I know that and because I'm the responsible party it's okay with me. I certainly wouldn't sell this bike to somebody who didn't know as much or more than I know about fuel injection.

If I did can you just imagine the posts that the new owner would be making here on the forum about what the "prior owner" did to the bike?

Old September 26th, 2011, 12:18 AM   #5
greg737
-

Quote:
has anything really changed or does it basically feel like you're still riding the same bike?
It different, there's no doubt that it's faster, you can definitely feel it. But how much of that extra power is due to the fuel injection is a good question.

I'm sure part of the performance increase has to be the fuel injection that instantly provides the optimum Fuel/Air ratio for every situation, but part of it has to be due to the standard performance upgrades (the Area P exhaust and the K&N pod filter) and also the fact that the bike simply weighs less with the aftermarket exhaust, no center stand.

Eventually (this coming spring/summer) I'll get the ignition control worked out and then take the bike to a dyno. To truly know if it's more powerful I'll have to compare my results with the dyno results of another EX-250 that has everything done except the fuel injection (2-into-1 exhaust, pod filter, jetting, and the BRT TIS ignition upgrade). That would be the only way to really know if my fuel injected/re-mapped ignition version is more powerful.

In the end I'm fully prepared for the non-injected but otherwise upgraded EX-250 (2-into-1 exhaust, pod filter, jetting, and the BRT TIS ignition upgrade) to be just as powerful.

Old September 26th, 2011, 05:05 AM   #6
dubojr1

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250R SE, 07 Honda CRF230F, 06 Honda CRF150F

Don't forget to add yourself to our Member Map
dubojr1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 13th, 2011, 10:30 AM   #7
greg737
-

I've had a few people ask what my fuel economy is after my fuel injection conversion. Now that I'm riding it regularly for fun and basic transportation (rather than testing/tuning) I've been able to get an idea of its gas milage.

I filled up the tank yesterday evening and after 200 miles of mixed highway/city riding it had used just a touch over 3 gallons, so the fuel economy for highway/city riding is about 62 mpg.

I figure that all-highway might result in something around 65-67 mpg.

So in the end my fuel economy seems to be about the same as the stock bike got, which is a win in my book because the bike is more powerful/responsive now.