Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Ninjettes At Speed

Notices

Old October 12th, 2020, 12:10 PM   #1
Kowalski
ninjette.org member

Name: Keith

Motorcycle(s): 2014 Ninja 300

Crash protection

I’m wanting to take my bike out to the local kart track. It’s a 1/3 mile and didn’t feel very grippy when I walked the track. I’m sure if if don’t lay it down the first I will another. I plan on taking all the bodywork off. I have woodcraft under body sliders, woodcraft clip ons and vortex pegs. Wondered if there’s anything else I could add to help it survive.
Do these bike benefit from case sliders? The engines are so narrow I don’t think they’d rub in a low side.
Kowalski is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 12th, 2020, 03:24 PM   #2
CC Cowboy
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
Ride within your limits and you shouldn't crash at all.

Old October 12th, 2020, 03:43 PM   #3
Kowalski
ninjette.org member

Thanks bud. Glad you took the time to share that.

Old October 12th, 2020, 08:26 PM   #4
jrshooter
ninjette.org guru

Name: john

Motorcycle(s): ninja 300

my woodcraft under fairing sliders cost me 500 dollars in frame straighting, but they did save a 100 dollar radiator. i took them off and never looked back.
jrshooter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 12th, 2020, 08:27 PM   #5
DannoXYZ
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
The side cases gets horribly beat up. You’ll want to install some case-guards. Most of ones on market are lightweight fibre and are really only good for one crash. But at least it’ll save your engine cases.

If you really want to protect bike against crashes, personally I would get cage:
https://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=277520

Last futzed with by DannoXYZ; October 13th, 2020 at 12:54 PM.
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 13th, 2020, 04:33 AM   #6
Kowalski
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrshooter View Post
my woodcraft under fairing sliders cost me 500 dollars in frame straighting, but they did save a 100 dollar radiator. i took them off and never looked back.
That really sucks! Was it pretty extraordinary crash or a typical too much brake or gas too early low side?

Old October 13th, 2020, 06:04 AM   #7
jrshooter
ninjette.org guru

Name: john

Motorcycle(s): ninja 300

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kowalski View Post
That really sucks! Was it pretty extraordinary crash or a typical too much brake or gas too early low side?
it was a low side, but i believe the bike fliped when it slid off the track and into the dirt.
jrshooter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 14th, 2020, 05:18 AM   #8
Topaz
ninjette.org member

Name: Topaz

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300 / Suzuki DR-Z 400 SM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannoXYZ View Post
The side cases gets horribly beat up. You’ll want to install some case-guards. Most of ones on market are lightweight fibre and are really only good for one crash. But at least it’ll save your engine cases.

[/url]
'Bonamici' makes (or used to make) aluminum case savers, but they were $300 the pair. There used to be on eBay some years ago when I got my case savers.

I got the R&G ones, made out of some kind of plastic I guess for $125 the pair on Revzilla. I didn't dropped the bike, so I can't tell about resistance.
The fitting was good for the clutch, not so good for the stator. I had to remove the stator cover once and saw that the cover had put some scratches on the cover, so if you're worried about the look of your covers I wouldn't recommend those.
If you're worried about the look, maybe you can get a pair of take off OEM covers, swap them, and put yours away until you sell the bike. The same you did with your fairings.

Case savers would be good for the track and your fellow riders to avoid an oil spill in case you have a slide so bad that it would otherwise make a hole in the case.
However, if your track is a kart track, would you find a sweeper so long and fast that a slide there would put a hole on the case?
Topaz is offline   Reply With Quote