ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old June 7th, 2012, 07:58 PM   #1
Ninja1
ninjette.org member

Name: Chadi

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R

1250 km and already problems

Ok not sure what to make out of this but essentially the bike keeps stalling. I haven't ridden the bike in 2 weeks and a half. Today I installed the mirror extender brackets and had to take out the side and front headlight assembly. Take-down and assembly went very smooth and I can't imagine that I have pulled any cables or caused any short.

So the problem is essentially when I tried to start the bike it did not start. It took me about 10 tries to get it to start (full choke, halfway choke, no choke). When it started it hit 4k rpm with the choke and when I lowered the choke and twisted the throttle it died.

I let it warm up for 2 minutes and then I twisted the throttle, the rpm picked up but with some hesitation. I let it warm up for another 2 minutes and the rpm/throttle response improved but the hesitation was slightly there in the 2k-4k rpm range.

Then as soon as I put it in 1st gear the engine shuts down ... as I'm writing this very sentence I just realized that my kick stand was down which explains why the engine shuts down... but now that I wrote all this I'd like to still open this thread

I'm still concerned by the number of tries it took me to get it to start and also the hesitation when twisting the throttle. Is this normal for a bike that has 1200 kms and had an oil change @ 400kms? I'm glad it's still under warranty and I'm planning to take it for the 1000km service. What should I ask them to check given the issue I just had?
Ninja1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 9th, 2012, 07:18 AM   #2
thisisbenji
ninjette.org sage

Name: Benji

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250r (Sold), 2009 FZ6, 2015 Honda Grom

Mine has 3500 miles on it, hasn't ever given me any trouble starting. Then again I'v never let it sit for more than a couple of days. Maybe that had something to do with the slow start?

Old June 9th, 2012, 10:24 AM   #3
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Since you were working with headlight assembly, the problem may be electrical.
Check the connectors of both spark coils.
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 9th, 2012, 10:39 PM   #4
KawiKid860
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Murphey

Motorcycle(s): 2002 Honda 919, 2004 Ninja 500R NAKED

Doesn't sound related to anything you did with the electrical stuff. More like a problem from sitting, but 2.5 weeks shouldn't be enough to cause any problems but who knows
KawiKid860 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 10th, 2012, 02:39 PM   #5
lamyun
ninjette.org newbie

Name: TC

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja1 View Post
I haven't ridden the bike in 2 weeks and a half.

So the problem is essentially when I tried to start the bike it did not start. It took me about 10 tries to get it to start (full choke, halfway choke, no choke). When it started it hit 4k rpm with the choke and when I lowered the choke and twisted the throttle it died.

I let it warm up for 2 minutes and then I twisted the throttle, the rpm picked up but with some hesitation. I let it warm up for another 2 minutes and the rpm/throttle response improved but the hesitation was slightly there in the 2k-4k rpm range.
Everything you just mentioned is pretty normal if you let it sit for 2.5 weeks.
One of your carbs could be slightly clogged.

The easiest and cheapest solution would be to do the following:
1) Drain gas and fill up 1/2 with only Shell 91 (the only gas in Ottawa with no Ethanol in it)
2) Go to Canadian Tire and get a bottle of SeaFoam.
3) Dump 1/4 can (or more) SeaFoam into the gas tank.
4) Rock the bike left and right a bit to mix it up.
5) Start bike and let it idle for a 20+ mins then go for a little ride.

Should clear up after that.

You must always start the bike full choke and when it climbs to 4k rpm, close the choke and let it idle for around 5 mins.

Let me know how it goes
lamyun is offline   Reply With Quote