ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Farkles

Old March 10th, 2009, 02:59 PM   #1
sm0kediver
one disaster at a time

Name: Jody

Motorcycle(s): EX250J9

Seat Options

Does anyone make a comfortable aftermarket seat for new Ninja yet?
sm0kediver is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 10th, 2009, 03:07 PM   #2
kkim

lol... I recommend Corbin.

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=9868
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 10th, 2009, 04:10 PM   #3
sm0kediver
one disaster at a time

That stock seat is kind of hard, kind of narrow, and it's squishing my boys against the tank... but I guess you knew that.

Old March 10th, 2009, 04:16 PM   #4
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

It's a new bike to you. Before you spend any money making comfort type changes, I'd at least ride it for a few weeks and a few k miles to see what really bugs you. It's a different riding position than the 1st-gens, that's true. After you have the time and miles on the bike, you'll be much better informed about what changes will truly help. Search on "Corbin" on this board, and you'll find some very ardent supporters of the seat on the ninjette, some indifferent, and some who were not impressed with the comfort change. I think the Corbin seat will only be an improvement if it is truly fitted to you, which is best done by having them make it in front of you while you're at the Hollister factory. Mail-order can only get you so much.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 10th, 2009, 04:20 PM   #5
sm0kediver
one disaster at a time

Yeah I wondered about that. I'd like to get one more built up around the edges so that I'm not riding around on my prostate.

Old March 10th, 2009, 04:25 PM   #6
kkim

I think Alex sort of likes that. He's not an advocate of being comfy when riding, butt more that you should ride the bike as the GOD Kawasaki intended.

Saying that, I bought mine very early on and don't regret it one bit. The amount of money spent doesn't even matter anymore, as if I ever sell the bike, I'll just sell the seat then, separately.

Old March 10th, 2009, 04:45 PM   #7
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

I'm all about the comfy, ask my wife, I'm a wuss. I'm just not a fan of tweaking for tweaking's sake without having a good baseline to rely on. I'd guess that I have spent more money at Corbin over the years than the next 3 or 4 members on this board combined, and I've had custom seats from other manufacturers in addition. It's my opinion, and perhaps only my opinion, that people spend too much $ and time trying to get things just right, and then they are genuinely happy with the changes not only because there may or may not have been actual improvements, but because of the placebo effect. Only way to prevent that is to spend enough time to assure yourself that the current state of X, whatever X is, is being truly understood and the $ and time you spend on improving X is highly likely to actually fix it instead of just change it.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)

Old March 10th, 2009, 04:50 PM   #8
kkim

You could be right... I guess I can throw my stock set back on and find out, but I'm an even bigger wuss.

Like you, all I can go by is what I know and for me, the Corbin is a way more comfy seat than the stock one. When I bought the bike, the first thing I noticed was how hard the seat was and that the guy the used to make seats for KTM in the old days, must have gotten a job at Kawasaki. I guess I could have waited a few years for the seat or my ass to acclimate, but I choose to go the route to fix what I considered broke.

Old March 11th, 2009, 05:16 PM   #9
sm0kediver
one disaster at a time

I am looking at these. They recommend this one for all models of the Ninja with a single seat. Anyone try one?

http://www.alaskaleather.com/prices&....html#pillion1

I just want a little more cushion, and I'd rather make a mod to the bike than let it make a mod to me.

Old March 11th, 2009, 05:22 PM   #10
OldGuy
Live Life

Name: Don

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Green SE Ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
I think the Corbin seat will only be an improvement if it is truly fitted to you, which is best done by having them make it in front of you while you're at the Hollister factory.
OK so now I have to figure out how to convince my wife that the next time we go to Morgan Hill to see our Grand Daughter (OK - her parents too) that I need to ride the Ninja out so I can make a quick trip down to Hollister, and Button Willow, and see Alex, and . . .

Old March 11th, 2009, 07:09 PM   #11
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Sounds like a plan!

Old March 11th, 2009, 09:27 PM   #12
Nemy
ninjette.org sage

Name: Tim

Motorcycle(s): 2009 SE Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by sm0kediver View Post
I am looking at these. They recommend this one for all models of the Ninja with a single seat. Anyone try one?

http://www.alaskaleather.com/prices&....html#pillion1

I just want a little more cushion, and I'd rather make a mod to the bike than let it make a mod to me.
I was gonna probably pick one of those up before I start touring in August. So if you can wait till then for my review... But if you decide on it, use the coupon code "deadsheep" to get 10% - courtesy of the advriders forum.
Nemy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 12th, 2009, 03:42 AM   #13
sm0kediver
one disaster at a time

Thanks

Old March 12th, 2009, 06:36 AM   #14
camaroz1985
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Ryan

Motorcycle(s): 2008 WR250R, 2006 Ural Raven (Sold), 2009 Versys Green (Sold), 2008 Ninja 250R Green (Sold)

After recently recovering the rear seat with a Custom Seatcover Creations cover, I have considered taking the front cover off, hollowing out a section, and installing a gel pad to get a little better seat without spending the money on the Corbin.
camaroz1985 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 12th, 2009, 08:42 AM   #15
zeroth
weekend rider

Name: JC

Motorcycle(s): '05 Ninja 250

Last year I read about a guy who did just that: if you sent the seat in to him, he'd cut out some of the foam and install a gel pad. I heard he was pretty cheap ($50-70 I think) and quick (a week or so). Anyone know of him and how to find him?

Hmmm... I guess if you bought a Custom Seat Creations cover, you could send that to him also and have him use that when re-covering the seat. Saves you from having to install the new cover, and it would be no extra work for him......
zeroth is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 21st, 2009, 02:31 PM   #16
Moo-wasaki
ninjette.org member

Name: Yes

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250

I just took my seat to an upholster..er yesterday. Told him want I wanted but not sure what to expect from this guy. He talked about just adding foam...not shaving and shaping it before adding new foam.

Told me that I did not want gel when I asked about that. Hell, should of gone at it myself. We'll soon see.
Moo-wasaki is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 21st, 2009, 02:42 PM   #17
camaroz1985

Motorcycle(s): 2008 WR250R, 2006 Ural Raven (Sold), 2009 Versys Green (Sold), 2008 Ninja 250R Green (Sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeroth View Post
Last year I read about a guy who did just that: if you sent the seat in to him, he'd cut out some of the foam and install a gel pad. I heard he was pretty cheap ($50-70 I think) and quick (a week or so). Anyone know of him and how to find him?

Hmmm... I guess if you bought a Custom Seat Creations cover, you could send that to him also and have him use that when re-covering the seat. Saves you from having to install the new cover, and it would be no extra work for him......
Here is the website
http://greatdaytoride.com/Home_Page.php

Still thinking about maybe doing it myself, but I'm going to just ride for now

Old March 22nd, 2009, 10:38 AM   #18
mike_sema
ninjette.org guru

Name: mike

Motorcycle(s): ninja 250r

I just rmvd my seat and shaved it to fit my butt better and to give me a better position on the bike took about 3 hr to finish and on both my 300 mile rides my butt was fine it is easy to do and cost nothing

Old March 23rd, 2009, 08:17 AM   #19
camaroz1985

Mike, mind showing exactly what you did?

Old March 23rd, 2009, 03:37 PM   #20
mike_sema
ninjette.org guru

Name: mike

Motorcycle(s): ninja 250r

Well I did not take pics as I was doing the mod, but this is what I did I took the cover off and got an orbital sander with 80 grit sand paper, took a red marker and kind of marked what I wanted to take of the seat. the seat felt like sitting on a water logged piece of wood so I took a lot of foam off the back side and the sides almost 1 half inch as I did this I would put it on the bike and see how it felt did more sanding until I was happy with the results

Old March 24th, 2009, 07:12 AM   #21
camaroz1985

Thanks. I have seen that done before just wasn't sure if you did something different.

Old March 25th, 2009, 09:54 AM   #22
Nemy
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaroz1985 View Post
After recently recovering the rear seat with a Custom Seatcover Creations cover, I have considered taking the front cover off, hollowing out a section, and installing a gel pad to get a little better seat without spending the money on the Corbin.
Or has anyone tried sticking a sheepskin INTO the seat? From the reviews it seems #1 is corbin, #2 is sheepskin buttpad

Old March 25th, 2009, 09:58 AM   #23
sm0kediver
one disaster at a time

I think part of the value of sheepskin is that it provides cushion, and allows for some air circulation under your butt. Because of that it might be better to keep it on top of your seat.

Disclaimer: I have no experience with sheep skin, so I'm guessing and basically have no idea what the hell I'm talking about

Old March 26th, 2009, 08:57 AM   #24
Nemy
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Disclaimer: I have no experience with sheep skin, so I'm guessing and basically have no idea what the hell I'm talking about
I lol'd. But I think you're right. Or you could poke holes into the seat for air circulation

Old March 26th, 2009, 09:09 AM   #25
camaroz1985

I'm probably going to be using some memory foam as an insert or replacement foam. I will let you know how it turns out. I just got a sample of the 5 differnt firmnesses, and am trying to decide what to use. I want one that doesn't just compress right away, but also one that isn't too hard, so I might go with the middle or the next firmer.

BTW it is cheap. About $15 for enough to do the seat. You could even put different firmnesses in different places if you wanted and it would still be pretty cheap.

Old March 26th, 2009, 09:47 AM   #26
sm0kediver
one disaster at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemy View Post
I lol'd. But I think you're right. Or you could poke holes into the seat for air circulation

Hey off topic for a second... I saw a green/white special edition up close at a dealer today. Nice looking bike for sure.

Old March 26th, 2009, 10:23 AM   #27
M-Oorb
ninjette.org sage

Name: Matt

Motorcycle(s): 2008 250r (Fastest Color)

Quote:
I'm probably going to be using some memory foam as an insert or replacement foam. I will let you know how it turns out. I just got a sample of the 5 differnt firmnesses, and am trying to decide what to use. I want one that doesn't just compress right away, but also one that isn't too hard, so I might go with the middle or the next firmer.

BTW it is cheap. About $15 for enough to do the seat. You could even put different firmnesses in different places if you wanted and it would still be pretty cheap.
Just wondering...how do you plan on replacing it? Are you going to cut certain areas out of the original seat and insert the memory foam? Are are you just going to replace the entire seat and somehow fabricate a new one out of the memory foam?
M-Oorb is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 26th, 2009, 10:54 AM   #28
camaroz1985

That's what I'm trying to decide. Either would be an option.

Old March 26th, 2009, 04:00 PM   #29
Nemy
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Hey off topic for a second... I saw a green/white special edition up close at a dealer today. Nice looking bike for sure.
hehe that it is... The color looks even better on the SE ZX10R /hijack

Old March 26th, 2009, 05:37 PM   #30
sm0kediver
one disaster at a time

The extra details really set it apart. Almost looks like another model altogether.

Old March 26th, 2009, 06:11 PM   #31
Jiu Jitsu Player
Live 2 Ride Forced 2 Work

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): 2008 RED 250r

I agree. One of the kawi dealers here has a bike display set up at the megaplex by my house. Whenever I go to the movies I probably spend as much time eating popcorn staring at the bike in the lobby as I do in the actual movie.

OT: planning to do the seat shave mod and see how it goes but I'm holding off until my custom seat cover comes in the mail.

www.7milesdown.com
Jiu Jitsu Player is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 26th, 2009, 06:16 PM   #32
sm0kediver
one disaster at a time

I still prefer my red one though

I found a Corbin for sale locally, but it's over an hour away and I just haven't had time to make it over there. $150 sounded reasonable to me.

Old April 1st, 2009, 01:27 PM   #33
SpyderGirl
3 for street, 2 for dirt

Name: Katlyn

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Can Am Spyder PE #1344 / 2009 Kawi KLX140L Monster Energy / 2009 Kawi Ninja 250R (RIP 8.23.09)

+1 for Corbin. I have a Corbin on my Spyder and I love it. May have to get one for the Ninja too if it starts bothering me too much. My pelvis was in some serious pain after 2 days of MSF on it... that bike was not meant for sitting on nearly 5 hours straight, two days in a row for sure.

Old April 1st, 2009, 01:32 PM   #34
Syphen
Some weird Canuck!

Name: Greg

Motorcycle(s): '92 CBR250RR "Babyblade", 2008 Ninja 250R, 2001 CBR600F4i

I don't want to say suck it up or anything but there is a book out by a gentleman (his name escapes me) who went around the world on an R1. CIRCUMNAVIGATION on an R1. (YZF-R1.. The superbike incase you didn't know) and that bike probably has one of the most racy and uncomfortable seats going. The gentleman is in his mid to late 50's and in an interview i read with him he mentioned this: sport bikes have a perceived level of discomfort but with training this can be overcome. The more you ride it, the more you become accustomed to it. Start small and in no time you can be doing long distances.

In my opinion, and compared to my old F4 and my new F4i, the Ninja 250R has a very welcoming and comfy seat/seating position. It doesn't compare to an old 80's or early 90's sportbike. Back when it wasn't uncool to have a nicely padded banana seat on your motorcycle. I think you just need to ride it around more and see how it treats you!
I can put 8-9 hours in on the ninjette no problem.

Old April 1st, 2009, 01:37 PM   #35
SpyderGirl
3 for street, 2 for dirt

Name: Katlyn

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Can Am Spyder PE #1344 / 2009 Kawi KLX140L Monster Energy / 2009 Kawi Ninja 250R (RIP 8.23.09)

Well if I want comfort for a long ride you'll probably see me on the Spyder and not the Ninja. I'm not a wimp, but it's hard to operate a bike when half of your legs are asleep.

Old April 1st, 2009, 03:57 PM   #36
Syphen
Some weird Canuck!

Name: Greg

Motorcycle(s): '92 CBR250RR "Babyblade", 2008 Ninja 250R, 2001 CBR600F4i

Your right about limbs going to sleep. I guess you just need to get into a groove of constantly shifting around on the bike as much as possible. The spyder would be a better bet for touring any day.

Old April 10th, 2009, 08:47 AM   #37
snoopy07
ninjette.org member

Name: Emmanuelle

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

As I would change myseat cover, I have benefited to make a more confortable seat (I have backaches problems)

I dug the original foam, then replace by foam "Bultex".

The seat is now more confortable than original seat, and the look very nice!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg S4023927.jpg (35.7 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg S4023929.jpg (51.9 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg S4023931.jpg (77.0 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg S4023941 - Copie.jpg (81.6 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg S4023939.jpg (108.7 KB, 17 views)
snoopy07 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 10th, 2009, 07:38 PM   #38
ohthatsgood
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Jessica

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R

Quote:

where did you get the memory foam?
ohthatsgood is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 10th, 2009, 07:58 PM   #39
camaroz1985

Nice!!! That's what I want to do with mine. How does it feel? Have you taken any long rides with it yet?

Old April 10th, 2009, 08:03 PM   #40
camaroz1985

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohthatsgood View Post
where did you get the memory foam?
First welcome to the forums!!! Make sure you make a welcome post in the new members section.

In the US you can get memory foam a lot of places. I'm personally getting mine from www.mcmaster.com. Just search for memory foam. They have 5 hardnesses. You can get a sample of all of them for $5. I would recommend the pink or the blue from what I've tried, but not in a seat yet.