Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old May 9th, 2010, 01:25 PM   #1
Verus Cidere
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Michael

Motorcycle(s): '91 Honda CBR600 F2

Am I insane? Probably...

Hey folks.

Well the time has come. It's been a good 10k mile run on the ninjette, but I'm putting it up for sale either tomorrow or the next day. I have my reasons, but that's not what I'm here to talk about now. My question is this: Is asking $2k OBO for the bike completely stupid on my part? It's a CP blue '07 with about 12k miles on it. Will have chopped fender, custom seat cover, galfer front rotor, flushmount signals, repaired (aka superglued) fairings, integrated rear signals, dynojet jet kit, airbox removed, pods installed, a new front brake caliper, pirelli sport demon tires with tons of tread left, and a salvage title that it had before I got it. I also just had the throttle and clutch cables lubed. I've kept up with oil changes since I got it, and I just had the I know many of you are seasoned lowballers, and I've never sold a motorcycle before and have no experience whatsoever with this sort of thing. What's a fair price for this bike, and what offers should I expect? I'm hoping to get at least $1600 for it, but I have no idea whether or not this is reasonable. Thanks in advance for the advice, comments, criticisms, and flaming I figure I'll get (I love you anyway CC ) for selling it in the first place.

Old May 9th, 2010, 01:27 PM   #2
Chubbs032
ninjette.org member

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): 250r

1800-2k is a good starting point if you willing to deal down to 1600, good luck
Chubbs032 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 9th, 2010, 01:29 PM   #3
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

Name: Mark

Motorcycle(s): 2022 Honda Navi, 2018 Z-125 Pro

I've seen similar bikes down here going for at least $2k and getting sold. I paid $2k for my '07 with 11k on the clock. Not a bad price IMHO.

We all have our reasons for selling off bikes. I look back and regret selling off my old GS500, but it was the thing to do at the time. Bikes come and go.

2022 Honda Navi && 2018 Z-125 Pro
Apex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 9th, 2010, 01:33 PM   #4
Verus Cidere

I'm mostly curious about how the salvage title is going to affect the buyers. I didn't mind myself, but some probably will. I'm fairly certain the salvage has to do with the left rearset bracket that is rigged back together after a crash by a previous owner. I'm going to be replacing that bracket ASAP, and if the bike sells before that, I'll still get the bracket for whoever buys it. Thanks for the feedback folks.

Old May 9th, 2010, 01:43 PM   #5
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

Oh, one more thing....

Don't let them test drive it unless they give you the cash in hand. If they wreck it, you keep the cash.

If they want a test ride, they can buy the bike. Once they buy it, they can ride it. If they ride it and are not interested, then you can buy the bike back. At no time let them test ride it without the full amount of cash in your hands.

Old May 9th, 2010, 01:49 PM   #6
Verus Cidere

Ok. I was planning on allowing test rides because my insurance would cover that, and I could probably get more from an insurance payout than from selling the bike. But you're right, that's probably safer.

Old May 9th, 2010, 01:57 PM   #7
CC Cowboy

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
What are you getting once you sell it?

Old May 9th, 2010, 10:30 PM   #8
Verus Cidere

I'm going to be looking for a 600. I don't need anything else, and that should last me a plenty long time. I have my eye on an '06 CBR600. It's got 28k miles, but it runs really well. That and the dealership that has it doesn't work with motorcycles and is desperate to get rid of it, so I might be able to pick it up for around $2500.

Old May 9th, 2010, 10:52 PM   #9
miks
I'm lovin' it.

Name: Mike

Motorcycle(s): '09 Black 250R

Its been a good run! Good luck with the sale mate.

Father: You can't do both son.
miks is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 10th, 2010, 05:41 AM   #10
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

I'd prolly sell mine too if my wife would ok it. It isn't so much for permission as it is a mutual decision. Bikes are expensive these days. lol So coming to a mutual decision is a good thing to keep everyone happy.

I'm sure if I asked, she would say "is the house done with repairs?" lol Nope!

So right now, the house owns me. hahahahha At least I have a motorcycle. I could be without one. Even though the EX250 isn't the best bike on the planet, it is by far better than not owning one at all.

Old May 10th, 2010, 06:30 AM   #11
backinthesaddleagain

Name: Greg

Motorcycle(s): 2013 ZX6R 636

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex View Post
I'd prolly sell mine too if my wife would ok it. It isn't so much for permission as it is a mutual decision. Bikes are expensive these days. lol So coming to a mutual decision is a good thing to keep everyone happy.

I'm sure if I asked, she would say "is the house done with repairs?" lol Nope!

So right now, the house owns me. hahahahha At least I have a motorcycle. I could be without one. Even though the EX250 isn't the best bike on the planet, it is by far better than not owning one at all.
I know where you are coming from. House is in good shape (6 yrs old), but oldest is off to college in the fall and that is $32K per year. Guess thats why I just ordered new front tire, new rear pads, and picking up a chain.
backinthesaddleagain is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 10th, 2010, 10:17 AM   #12
FrugalNinja250

Name: Frugal

Motorcycle(s): Several

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verus Cidere View Post
I'm mostly curious about how the salvage title is going to affect the buyers.
The salvage notation is a result of a previous insurance claim that economically totaled the bike. In some states the bike cannot be registered for use on the road until it's been inspected and VIN-checked, and having a salvage notation most definitely reduces the resale value significantly even if all damage was repaired and the bike was in perfect condition.

Texas is a state that requires a convoluted process to get a salvage-titled vehicle back on the road legally; I personally wouldn't offer more than 1k for such a bike here.
FrugalNinja250 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 10th, 2010, 10:43 AM   #13
Greg_E
ninjette.org sage

Name: Greg

Motorcycle(s): 90 Suzuki gsx600f Katana, 03 Buell XB9R

I wouldn't touch it for any amount unless I wanted a track only machine. Salvage titles are a huge pain! At $1000-$1500 it would make a decent track day bike for those people that live near a track and want to go often.
Greg_E is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 10th, 2010, 02:48 PM   #14
Verus Cidere

Dang. Well, we'll see how it goes.

Old May 10th, 2010, 03:05 PM   #15
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

It really depends on the buyer. Some will buy it easily, since the 250 makes an excellent track day bike. Some would buy it to have spare parts to fix their bike, or to customize. Some will buy it because it is a straight bike and know that it totals out easily because it is so cheap purchase in the first place.

I'd buy a wrecked bike. I've wanted to in order to fix it up and get it running properly again. It would make an excellent project. I don't think my wife would appreciate that though. I think if she wanted me to fix up something, it would be something we'd both enjoy, a '65-'69 Mustang.

Old May 17th, 2010, 01:42 PM   #16
Verus Cidere

Well, I managed to sell her already. $1750 has been agreed upon, and I'm ok with that. It's actually more than I was expecting to get. Technically, I haven't sold her yet, as I don't have the money yet, and he doesn't have the bike, but he lives about 50 miles away and can't pick up the bike until the end of the week. So now the bike hunt begins...