ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > !%@*#$%!)@#&!%@ I crashed!

Notices

Old November 2nd, 2016, 05:25 PM   #1
sickopsycho
One ugly son of a gun.

Name: Andrew

Motorcycle(s): 2012 250

Well it was a short run- hope it's not indicative of years to come...

I put about 200 miles on my 2007 Ninja 250- my first bike. I bought it, spent the last month putting blood sweat and tears into getting it perfect. I got my learners permit and tags (they were even paper as I hadn't had it inspected yet)... and then today happened. I has coming out of a gas station and there was traffic in the lane in front of me. They were all stopped waiting for a light down the street. There was an opening and I was turning left. I pulled out, checking right then back left then right one more time... all clear. I pull out only to see a lady pull out in the opposing lane of traffic to get around everyone and make the light in the futur left turn lane. She crossed a double yellow and into opposing traffic lane to do this, the same lane I was trying to get into to go the correct way. Head on impact- threw me over the handlebars with such force that my pelvic bone ddented the rear of my gas tank. I rolled off her hood and landed on my back. Thankfully, I had my gear on as I always do. Armored jacket, nice leather gauntlets, helmet with face sheild down. I suffered a laceration to my chin which bled pretty good but no stitches needed. My pelvic bone hurts, but it's just sore. My bike, however, did not fair very well. The entire front end is trashed. The tank is dented where I hit it. I rode it about 2 miles home, but I felt it pulling and I couldnt turn the handlebars all the way to the left, but I could to the right. For some reason the rear brake doesn't seem to be working either. Think it's gonna easily be a total, since I only spent $1600 on the bike. On the bright side, I really want a newgen anyway so maybe this will be my excuse. I'm really hoping I can pick one up for ~$2000 assuming I get a payout somewhere near what I paid for the bike. She was issued a citation during the accident, so think they will put her as at fault. See the picks below for what happened... I set the bike up after the accident... these bikes are hella light. Even in my slightly dazed state it was a breeze to lift. =)

I LOVE my bike- I just got it perfect... but I think I'd love a newgen too... At least I can say I feel a lot more confident in wearing gear now. Had I have been squid riding, I have every bit of a notion that this would have resulted in a trip to the hospital. Probably not life-threatening, but definately more bums and bruises...
ATGATT FTW!
sickopsycho is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 2nd, 2016, 05:32 PM   #2
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Unhappy

I am very sorry to read that this has happened to you and your bike.
Yes, it could have been much worse.
Heal soon !!!
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 2nd, 2016, 05:36 PM   #3
Ralgha
ninjette.org sage

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R, Tiger 800 XRT

Bummer man that really sucks. I hate stupid drivers.
Ralgha is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 2nd, 2016, 05:37 PM   #4
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

MOTM - Oct '18, Aug '17, Aug '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickopsycho View Post
Even in my slightly dazed state it was a breeze to lift.
With all the adrenaline you had pumping around at that moment, you probably could have lifted about any bike easily.

Sorry to hear about the crash, Andrew. Obviously the other driver was "at fault", but I hope you understand that you not only could have avoided the crash, but you had better learn from it. From now on, assume that things like this will happen at every possible opportunity. Your only defense is to assume that you're invisible, and that other vehicles are waiting to kill you every chance they get.

You'll probably get more sore before you get less sore, so heal quickly and best of luck with the insurance payout.
Triple Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 2nd, 2016, 05:37 PM   #5
allanoue
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Al

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300..............2008 Ninja 500-sold...2009 Ninja 250-Crashed

MOTM - Sep '14
Glad you are OK, mostly.

If she got a ticket and you did not, I am sure you will get your money back.

Keep calm and ride on -Motofool
Never quit on a rainy day -ally99
allanoue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 2nd, 2016, 05:46 PM   #6
greg737
-

Name: -

Motorcycle(s): -

Man, that's bad, sorry you had this bad luck.

Typical daily-commuter move on her part, traffic probably piles up there all the time and she has probably pulled that move many times.

Those are the ones that get you when you're on a motorcycle. Maybe they were careful the first few times they pulled their little traffic leapfrogging maneuver while on their daily commute, but by the time you come along they've done it (and got away with it) so many times they aren't even checking or pausing before hitting the gas and cutting the wheel.
greg737 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 2nd, 2016, 06:03 PM   #7
sickopsycho
One ugly son of a gun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple Jim View Post
With all the adrenaline you had pumping around at that moment, you probably could have lifted about any bike easily.

Sorry to hear about the crash, Andrew. Obviously the other driver was "at fault", but I hope you understand that you not only could have avoided the crash, but you had better learn from it. From now on, assume that things like this will happen at every possible opportunity. Your only defense is to assume that you're invisible, and that other vehicles are waiting to kill you every chance they get.

You'll probably get more sore before you get less sore, so heal quickly and best of luck with the insurance payout.
Yeah, Jim- you're right. I should have really slowly pulled out so that I could have seen around the line of cars. It was a rookie mistake on my part, even though I wasnt technically at fault. I appreciate your honesty and I will definately learn from this experience.

To everyone else- yeah I'm fine. It sucks, but a bike can be replaced while people cannot. I was SOOOO pissed when I got up, I wanted to pucnh her lights out... but when I saw her face, she looked like she was about to have a heart attack. She was so upset because she probably thought she killed me, I instantly lost all animosity towards her and was just happy that neither of us was really hurt. At the end of the ordeal I was just happy to see that she had calmed down and I felt bad that she had been as scared as she was. Thanks for the well wishes guys and look forward to some new postings about the newgen I want to get to replace the old. =)

4 out of 4 members found this post helpful.
Old November 2nd, 2016, 06:06 PM   #8
Snake

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 05 Blue Ninja 250

MOTY - 2017, MOTM - Jan '19, Oct '16, May '14
Glad to see your ok.
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 2nd, 2016, 08:25 PM   #9
CaliGrrl

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): Ninja650

MOTM - Apr '18, Apr '17, Apr '16
Yikes!

I'm glad you're ok. Learning experience for sure, for you. I've learned you can predict a lot of what people will do, even the stupid stuff, but you always have to pay attention to every-darn-thing.

I sincerely hope she learns something from this. As in, don't just go wherever. Always look.
CaliGrrl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 2nd, 2016, 08:49 PM   #10
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

I like the phrase in one of the safety videos in a recent post, about adjusting your speed so you're in control. If someone turns left in front of you and you can't stop in time, for example, you weren't in control of the situation. You have to maintain control of the events happening around you.

Old November 3rd, 2016, 12:14 AM   #11
JohnnyBravo
Certifiable nontundrum

Name: Harper

Motorcycle(s): 2013 SE NINJA 300

MOTM - Sep '13, Sep '16
Imagine that a squid soccer mom in an suv crashing someone where she shouldn't be driving anyway

Old November 3rd, 2016, 04:17 PM   #12
FrugalNinja250

Name: Frugal

Motorcycle(s): Several

Bummer, that was a clean-looking 2007, last of the classic-gen bikes. I'd buy it from you if there was a reasonable way to get it to Dallas.

Remember, there's plenty of room for negotiation on your settlement with her insurance company. It's pretty common for the adjuster to make a first low-ball offer to you, and you're completely free to reject it.

Things that the offer should include:

Market value for your bike in the condition it was before the crash. Looks completely new, so probably over 2K. Clean pregens are getting rarer'n hen's teeth.

Something for gear that was damaged, including scrapes and scuffs on the helmet, tears and abrasions on your jacket and pants, gloves, boots, etc.

Medical. You should be reimbursed for a trip to the doctor to make sure everything's ok.

Some nominal amount to cover the time and aggravation you've spent (and are going to spend) dealing with this whole situation.

Options you have include letting the insurance co take the bike, or keeping the bike and getting a deduction on your payout checks (one check for the bike, one check for everything else), then fixing the bike to ridable condition. Or, you can keep the bike and part it out, likely generating some cash in the process. Me? If the forks aren't bent I'd fix it up and ride it ASAP, get through the first year of riding when most crashes happen, then sell or part it out.

I think you're in NC? Here's a 2007 in SC that's only $700 (that you could probably talk him down on) that would have most parts needed to get yours back on the road in good condition:

http://columbia.craigslist.org/cto/5853266987.html

Here's a clean 2006, asking $2,400, this is an example of comparables that you would use to justify a settlement amount you'd be happy with.

http://greensboro.craigslist.org/mcy/5817189964.html

Remember, part of the settlement would include the costs needed to go get a comparable bike. For instance, if the nearest 2007 you could find in comparable condition was 450 miles away, then the cost of getting that bike to you would be part of the value of the comparable.

Good luck, get back on the horse as soon as you can, don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things, etc...
FrugalNinja250 is offline   Reply With Quote

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old November 3rd, 2016, 04:50 PM   #13
sickopsycho
One ugly son of a gun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrugalNinja250 View Post
Bummer, that was a clean-looking 2007, last of the classic-gen bikes. I'd buy it from you if there was a reasonable way to get it to Dallas.

Remember, there's plenty of room for negotiation on your settlement with her insurance company. It's pretty common for the adjuster to make a first low-ball offer to you, and you're completely free to reject it.

Things that the offer should include:

Market value for your bike in the condition it was before the crash. Looks completely new, so probably over 2K. Clean pregens are getting rarer'n hen's teeth.

Something for gear that was damaged, including scrapes and scuffs on the helmet, tears and abrasions on your jacket and pants, gloves, boots, etc.

Medical. You should be reimbursed for a trip to the doctor to make sure everything's ok.

Some nominal amount to cover the time and aggravation you've spent (and are going to spend) dealing with this whole situation.

Options you have include letting the insurance co take the bike, or keeping the bike and getting a deduction on your payout checks (one check for the bike, one check for everything else), then fixing the bike to ridable condition. Or, you can keep the bike and part it out, likely generating some cash in the process. Me? If the forks aren't bent I'd fix it up and ride it ASAP, get through the first year of riding when most crashes happen, then sell or part it out.

I think you're in NC? Here's a 2007 in SC that's only $700 (that you could probably talk him down on) that would have most parts needed to get yours back on the road in good condition:

http://columbia.craigslist.org/cto/5853266987.html

Here's a clean 2006, asking $2,400, this is an example of comparables that you would use to justify a settlement amount you'd be happy with.

http://greensboro.craigslist.org/mcy/5817189964.html

Remember, part of the settlement would include the costs needed to go get a comparable bike. For instance, if the nearest 2007 you could find in comparable condition was 450 miles away, then the cost of getting that bike to you would be part of the value of the comparable.

Good luck, get back on the horse as soon as you can, don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things, etc...
Thanks for the great info! I paid $1600 for the bik,e but I felt like I got it for a steal. The original price was $2000, but I tlkaed them down. It wasn't running right and all it needed was a carb tuneup. I'm actually looking to upgrade to a newgen- I see a few of them in the areas for the $2000-$2500 range. I'd like to keep the old one and run it barebones, but aside from the trashed front fairings, the sterring is pulling. Also I cant trun the bars all the way to the left while I can to the right. I'm guessing the forks are bent. I just want to get back on the road ASAP, and hopefully the payout will cover at least what I paid for the bike. I am going to go right now and get checked out by the hospital, I have all sorts of bruising and it would just be nice to find out that everything is ok. I kind of though since I declined medical at the time that I would be out of the running for a claim after all.
I'll keep you guys posted, but thank you for the info.
=)
Andrew

Old November 3rd, 2016, 08:00 PM   #14
Bk834
ninjette.org member

Name: Brandon

Motorcycle(s): 07 Ninja 250 Cafe Racer

Sorry to see that. Shame about the bike, but it can be fixed a lot easier than you can be, so at least your ok. A lot of head on with a car bike collisions don't end so well for the biker. I know pretending like I'm an invisible rider, and anticipating every move that drivers around me could possibly make has helped me avoid a couple so far. We have some real oblivious people on the roads here. As for the bike, I'd definately fix her back up and keep her. Parts are plentiful here.

Old November 3rd, 2016, 08:13 PM   #15
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Cool

Quote:
..........the sterring is pulling. Also I cant trun the bars all the way to the left while I can to the right. I'm guessing the forks are bent. I just want to get back on the road ASAP..........
http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/I_need_...nd_front_wheel

http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/Removin...stalling_forks

Old November 3rd, 2016, 08:23 PM   #16
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bk834 View Post
As for the bike, I'd definately fix her back up and keep her. Parts are plentiful here.
I agree. I totaled a Toyota with my H2 back around 1980. I fixed the damage and have it here in the garage to ride 36 years later.

Old November 4th, 2016, 03:31 AM   #17
VaFish

Name: Tom

Motorcycle(s): 2001 Ninja 250, 2019 Harley Ultra Classic, 2001 Suzuki SV650

MOTM - Jan '16
I probably have the parts to fix it in my garage. Except for the front fender and tank. And you have to like lime green.
VaFish is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 4th, 2016, 09:40 AM   #18
sickopsycho
One ugly son of a gun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaFish View Post
I probably have the parts to fix it in my garage. Except for the front fender and tank. And you have to like lime green.
The insurance adjuster just came out this morning and said the diagnosis is not good. The forks are definitely hella bent...

Can't tell if they are creased or not- but givien all of the other damage, i'd say its easily a total. Depending on what they offer me, I might keep the bike and try to replace what I can and run it naked... but I'm more concerned with getting as newgen bike of similar price-range. I think if I can find one in pretty prestine condition with less than 10k miles on it and my total insurance payout will cover it then I'm gonna jump on it. As of right now this is my only transportation so getting back on the road is a priority for me. They also have a medical claim open for me, although I refused treatment at the scene. I think the adrenaline running through me at the time had a lot to do with that, but also I'm kind of a hard-ass when it comes to going to the hospital. The next morning, however, I have black and blue all over me and I'm sore from head to toe. Going over the handlebars will probably do that- so i went in to get checked out. The dent on my tank came from my male regions, which are completely black. They did an ultrasound to make sure everybody was ok down there- I do plan on having children some day =) Everything checked out ok and aside from some pain meds they tried to give me (I refused), I checked out mostly ok. I'm hoping the drivers insurance is going to cover that bill. My Helmet was scuffed up pretty good- how to I let them know that they nedd to fix/replace that as well? I assume when they insurance company comes at me with a claim I need to mention that? Anything else I need to know when dealing with these guys? I'm not looking for a payday, like I said, I just want fair compensation for my bike, gear and medical checkout. It sucks not being able to have transportation for weeks while this is handled- I hope that is also taken into consideration. I don't need pain and suffering, I just want fair compensation. Maybe an uber here or there? Any thoughts? Experience?
Thanks, guys...

Old November 4th, 2016, 09:51 AM   #19
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

The adjuster would have been a good place to start with explaining things like helmet damage. I'm not an insurance expert, but I'd call him with a list of things he didn't look at when he came out.

Old November 4th, 2016, 10:55 AM   #20
sickopsycho
One ugly son of a gun.

Quote:
The adjuster would have been a good place to start with explaining things like helmet damage. I'm not an insurance expert, but I'd call him with a list of things he didn't look at when he came out.
@Triple Jim I just called him and he told me to call the other lady'sd insurance company and let her know. I guess what I'm getting out of this is when they come at me with a payout figure next week, don't just accpet it as is. Blue book value of my bike is right aroun $2000- so anything ove that I'd honeslt be happy to take since it will be most of the way there to purchasing a newgen tha'ts just slightly newer witha few less miles. It just sucks that I put about $600 on my own money into this bike to get it back up to spec and that's not inlcuding any fees a shop would have charged me to do the work. Oh well, you live and you learn. =)

Old November 4th, 2016, 11:38 AM   #21
Brother Michigan
ninjette.org sage

Name: Aaron

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300

You can't buy a newgen. You crashed, that means you have to buy an R6. Sorry, it's the rule.

On a serious note as mentioned above, you're going to need to replace your helmet (and potentially other gear), so make sure that's included in your negotiations with the insurance company.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old November 4th, 2016, 11:38 AM   #22
allanoue

Name: Al

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300..............2008 Ninja 500-sold...2009 Ninja 250-Crashed

MOTM - Sep '14
Quote:
@Triple Jim I just called him and he told me to call the other lady'sd insurance company and let her know. I guess what I'm getting out of this is when they come at me with a payout figure next week, don't just accpet it as is. Blue book value of my bike is right aroun $2000- so anything ove that I'd honeslt be happy to take since it will be most of the way there to purchasing a newgen tha'ts just slightly newer witha few less miles. It just sucks that I put about $600 on my own money into this bike to get it back up to spec and that's not inlcuding any fees a shop would have charged me to do the work. Oh well, you live and you learn. =)
Your helmet will no longer protect you so you need a new one.

Keep calm and ride on -Motofool
Never quit on a rainy day -ally99
allanoue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 4th, 2016, 11:57 AM   #23
CaliGrrl

I'm not surprised you're bruised. Going over the bars sounds like that would certainly cause a lot of bruising. I'm glad you got checked out, and that you're mostly ok. Bruises heal.... eventually.

I hope the insurance co gives you enough to replace your bike and your helmet, since you won't be able to reuse the one that crashed.

Old November 4th, 2016, 01:16 PM   #24
VaFish

Name: Tom

Motorcycle(s): 2001 Ninja 250, 2019 Harley Ultra Classic, 2001 Suzuki SV650

MOTM - Jan '16
Quote:
The insurance adjuster just came out this morning and said the diagnosis is not good. The forks are definitely hella bent...

Can't tell if they are creased or not- but givien all of the other damage, i'd say its easily a total. Depending on what they offer me, I might keep the bike and try to replace what I can and run it naked... but I'm more concerned with getting as newgen bike of similar price-range. I think if I can find one in pretty prestine condition with less than 10k miles on it and my total insurance payout will cover it then I'm gonna jump on it. As of right now this is my only transportation so getting back on the road is a priority for me. They also have a medical claim open for me, although I refused treatment at the scene. I think the adrenaline running through me at the time had a lot to do with that, but also I'm kind of a hard-ass when it comes to going to the hospital. The next morning, however, I have black and blue all over me and I'm sore from head to toe. Going over the handlebars will probably do that- so i went in to get checked out. The dent on my tank came from my male regions, which are completely black. They did an ultrasound to make sure everybody was ok down there- I do plan on having children some day =) Everything checked out ok and aside from some pain meds they tried to give me (I refused), I checked out mostly ok. I'm hoping the drivers insurance is going to cover that bill. My Helmet was scuffed up pretty good- how to I let them know that they nedd to fix/replace that as well? I assume when they insurance company comes at me with a claim I need to mention that? Anything else I need to know when dealing with these guys? I'm not looking for a payday, like I said, I just want fair compensation for my bike, gear and medical checkout. It sucks not being able to have transportation for weeks while this is handled- I hope that is also taken into consideration. I don't need pain and suffering, I just want fair compensation. Maybe an uber here or there? Any thoughts? Experience?
Thanks, guys...
If you get to keep the bike I have a couple of projects that could use another engine.

Or I have a set of forks and a lime green body work sitting around.
VaFish is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 4th, 2016, 07:42 PM   #25
FrugalNinja250

Her insurance will cover the medical, don't worry about that at all. Also, this bike is your only transportation? If you're 18 or over they'll cover a rent car as well. Call tomorrow and get that rent car on the way to you.

Any gear that's damaged they should pay to replace, especially the helmet. They don't fix helmets, and they would only recommend fixing wearables if they were rare and/or expensive, such as a full set of leathers. Make a list of replacement costs for the gear that needs replacing, same make and models of what was damaged at prices offered in your local motorcycle stores. Insurance pays on replacement cost, not depreciated cost, for stuff like gear.

On the bike, there's a fair to middlin' chance the frame is bent, it would take some measurements before I'd consider rebuilding it. I'm surprised you were able to ride that at all with things bent like that.

Book value is just one consideration. It is a weighted average of what they've sold for before, not what they're selling for today. I suggest you look at comparable bikes currently for sale and compile a list, print out the ads, go out about 300 miles. The average of those will likely be above book by a little bit. Have that knowledge already worked out when they make the offer, don't just blow them off. Remember, the offer will include two amounts, one for the bike, and one for all the stuff like gear and the doctor visit. The rental car will be good until the day that you and they reach an agreement and you accept the offer. Be polite and civil, and be rational. Don't worry about cutting the other driver a break, that's what insurance is for is to make you whole again.

And your description of the tank indentation...circumstances...makes me clench a bit. I'm glad that wasn't more serious. A friend of mine did the same thing to her tank except it split her pelvis into several pieces and put her out of commission for the best part of a year.

Old November 4th, 2016, 09:48 PM   #26
MrAtom

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - July '15
I knew a guy who got smooshed and died in the very same circumstances as you, on an R3. Glad youre okay
MrAtom is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 5th, 2016, 05:47 AM   #27
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Cool

Quote:
Her insurance will cover the medical, don't worry about that at all..............

Don't worry about cutting the other driver a break, that's what insurance is for is to make you whole again............
Just for general learning from this experience: what to do if she was not insured?

Also, could you explain the last sentence a little farther?

Old November 5th, 2016, 07:11 AM   #28
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Cutting the guy a break? I did that once. A guy at the local dump backed into my van's side door. The adjuster looked at the damage and said it was something like $225. We both had Allstate insurance, so I asked the adjuster what the limit was before the other guy's premium would be increased. He said $200. I looked at my door and said it looked like I could reuse the chrome trim, since is was just a little bent. The adjuster took that off the list and the total was under $200. I remember the adjuster telling me that not many people do something like that. I hope it happens once in a while though.

In this case, I doubt if sickopsycho's crash lends itself to staying under the premium-increase limit.

Old November 5th, 2016, 08:11 AM   #29
Bk834
ninjette.org member

Name: Brandon

Motorcycle(s): 07 Ninja 250 Cafe Racer

Quote:
I agree. I totaled a Toyota with my H2 back around 1980. I fixed the damage and have it here in the garage to ride 36 years later.
That's great. We live in a disposable society now though, where most only know "use until worn or broke, then throw away". His frame may indeed be bent though. In case it might not be worth fixing given the relatively low value of the bike. Either way good luck sickopsycho, I know how fighting with the insurance company's is. PITA.

Old November 5th, 2016, 06:55 PM   #30
FrugalNinja250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motofool View Post
Just for general learning from this experience: what to do if she was not insured?

Also, could you explain the last sentence a little farther?
If the other person is uninsured/underinsured then the options depend on your coverage. If you have comprehensive, which includes collision, then your insurance company would pay out to you, minus the deductible, then they would go after the other person if the dollar amount of the payout and likelyhood of getting anything from them was within reason. If you only had the minimum liability and no collision then you would have to go after the other person for the amount of damages. If the other person has no attachable assets then things become challenging.

Basically, after getting a judgement against the other person in court (or small claims court for amounts of a few thousand dollars, check your state's limits and rules for small claims court) you would proceed to seize their attachable assets. Every state is different, do local research, small claims is generally the best way since lawyers aren't allowed or required. A judgement from a court is basically a piece of paper that gives you the legal right to go after their stuff. There are limits, for instance in Texas you can't take all their cars nor the tools of their trade, but their big screen TV and all their furniture is fair game.

People who make the conscious decision to drive poorly, like the driver in this case, will use tricks like preying on the victim's sympathies, to get out of owning up to their financial responsibilities. For them, it's a well-honed game. The more they get away with their bad driving decisions the more inevitable it will be before they kill or seriously maim someone.

Old November 5th, 2016, 07:19 PM   #31
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Cool

Quote:
If the other person is uninsured/underinsured then......
Thanks!

Old November 8th, 2016, 05:40 PM   #32
sickopsycho
One ugly son of a gun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaFish View Post
If you get to keep the bike I have a couple of projects that could use another engine.

Or I have a set of forks and a lime green body work sitting around.
@VaFish
I would LOVE to keep the bike. If all I have to replace is the forks and run it naked I'm cool with that. I would need a new speedo unit thing. The one I have still functions, but all the mounting parts are busted. Might be able to rat-rod it back together, who knows. It's only a speedo and tach- who looks at that anyway?
Where are you located and what would you be looking at for the forks? PM me if you like...

By the way- as you can see from the above pics... the forks are WAAAY bent. How can I tell if the frame is bent? Do I need to take it to a bike shop? I'm just wondering because when they come at me with a quote for the bikem I assume it's gonna be 2 numbers... 1 to keep the bike and a slightly higher one for them to take it. If the difference is a couple hundred bucks, I'd just as soon keep it. If it's much more than that... idk if there is a chance the damage goes further than the forks...

Old November 8th, 2016, 05:46 PM   #33
sickopsycho
One ugly son of a gun.

Quote:
Cutting the guy a break? I did that once. A guy at the local dump backed into my van's side door. The adjuster looked at the damage and said it was something like $225. We both had Allstate insurance, so I asked the adjuster what the limit was before the other guy's premium would be increased. He said $200. I looked at my door and said it looked like I could reuse the chrome trim, since is was just a little bent. The adjuster took that off the list and the total was under $200. I remember the adjuster telling me that not many people do something like that. I hope it happens once in a while though.

In this case, I doubt if sickopsycho's crash lends itself to staying under the premium-increase limit.
I have not spoken with the insurance adjuster about the value of the bike yet, but I doubt its over $2000. The bike simply isnt worth a lot. I do have a medical claim, though, and I'm sure that's gonna be well over that limit. Not that I'm trying to take anybody for a ride... I missed several days of work... but that's what PTO is for IMHO. I'm not claiming that. All I want is my medical bills paid, my bike paid for and a new helmet. Rest of my gear is fine and my bruises will heal. I know a lot of people will get an attorney and try to milk it for all it's worth, but like @Triple Jim said... it probably could have been avoided if I wasnt such a new rider. Sure, she was at fault- but I could have been slower moving out there and made dang sure nobody was where they shouldnt be. I know I wont make that mistake again.

Old November 8th, 2016, 07:26 PM   #34
sickopsycho
One ugly son of a gun.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/88-07-KAWASA...1XvLid&vxp=mtr

straight forks with the T for $160- sound like a deal? If the difference between keeping the bike and taking the payout was 200-300 bucks... think I'll keep it and take the chance on the frame. Worst case scenario part it out and make up for the difference. All fairings except the front are good, the seat, the motor- all like a top.

Old November 8th, 2016, 11:14 PM   #35
CaliGrrl

Quote:
Sure, she was at fault- but I could have been slower moving out there and made dang sure nobody was where they shouldnt be. I know I wont make that mistake again.
I think that's a good attitude to take. Just because it's someone else's fault doesn't mean you have to let them involve you...

You are now smarter, as is anybody reading this thread.

Old November 9th, 2016, 07:12 AM   #36
sickopsycho
One ugly son of a gun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliGrrl View Post
I think that's a good attitude to take. Just because it's someone else's fault doesn't mean you have to let them involve you...

You are now smarter, as is anybody reading this thread.
Credit given where credit due... @Triple Jim said the same words about 4 posts in to this thread and I really took them to heart. Having driven a car my whole life it's not *quite* as obvious that I need to not only look for where traffic should be coming from, but also where traffic could be coming from and where traffic should not be coming from. About the only 2 places I guess you really shouldn't need to check are above you and below you, but it probably wouldn't hurt to check there too. =)

Old November 9th, 2016, 08:17 AM   #37
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

That's great to hear, Andrew. And I bet you start noticing that you're becoming a safer car driver because of your motorcycle experience, too.

Old November 9th, 2016, 08:32 AM   #38
sickopsycho
One ugly son of a gun.

Quote:
That's great to hear, Andrew. And I bet you start noticing that you're becoming a safer car driver because of your motorcycle experience, too.
Oh yes, I'm constantly scanning back and forth as I drive. You're absolutely right. =)

Old November 9th, 2016, 03:26 PM   #39
sickopsycho
One ugly son of a gun.

Wow- those insurance guys are suckers. They valued my bike at $2700. I could have almost bought 2 for that. =) Looks like an R6 it is (kidding, of course) I am gonna put it into a newgen. They knocked $300 off for me to keep the bike, which I opted to do. I'm gonna pray the fram isnt bent and find a set of forks to try to get her running naked. I'd like a daily beater that I wont have to worry about dropping until I get some more miles under my belt... then the newgen will be my fun nice weekend weather rider. =)

Old November 9th, 2016, 03:42 PM   #40
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

You could always buy a frame off eBay for a couple hundred bucks. You'd have to mess with metal stamps I guess, but not a big deal.