Notices

Old September 5th, 2016, 01:07 AM   #1
NevadaWolf
Certified looney toon

Name: Teri

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250, 102k+ miles -- 2014 CB500X, 42k+ miles

MOTM Jul '13, Jul '14
Simple Saddlesore with a huge bonus - 9/3/16

TL;DR I rode, a lot. Video and map at the bottom.

Earlier this year I picked up the Butler Nevada map, on a slight hope that there was a twisty road in Nevada that I didn't already know about. Turns out, they did find some. One in particular caught my eye, the road going from Elko to Owyhee was marked both red and gold, being their best of the best and the bestest of the best roads. I had been along that road last year when I visited Wild Horse State Park - but had stopped short of the gold section! Must go back!

Later, as I was thumbing through my Spotwalla page, I noticed that there were still quite a few paved roads in Nevada that I hadn't ridden on. Some I'd been on in the truck, but that's not the same. I plotted a rough route out that would hit all those areas and came up with a fairly workable Saddlesore (being a route that is 1000+ miles). Along the route was the road to Owyhee, so bonus!

Then, a few weeks ago, I decided that one epic way to commemorate my Ninja making the big milestone of 100,000 miles would be to include the moment in an IBA certificate ride. So, I needed to time this where my odometer would reach 99k just before a (preferably) long weekend. As luck* would have it, my truck is broke and gee, I've been commuting on the bike since. Hello mileage!

So, now I had a plan!

Mapped out a blended SS route that would get me on roads that I hadn't ridden before, take me to Owyhee because I hadn't been there before (and I like saying the name - Owyhee! The word is an early spelling of Hawaii), and put enough miles on the bike to roll the odometer over as I have never seen that before!

Friday, I got my witness, got my bike battle ready, and got myself mostly prepped from the first long ride this year. 5am would come early.

Saturday, I was up and at the gas station 15 minutes later than I wanted so I missed breakfast. I had a tight time schedule to keep if I was going to get a gift for a friend, so I had to be on the road as soon as possible. The first leg of the route, from Fallon to Mill City, is so routine by now that the sun rise was the only thing of note during the whole time. I did try to capture or hack a few Ingress portals at the gas stops and one was at the Trucker's Chapel just behind the TA truck stop.

Leg two took me over to Elko where I found an ethanol free pump at the Maverik station. Since I get all these notices from AMA on the evils of ethanol I decided to take a shot and filled my tank.

Leg three, up to Owyhee, started in a mildly twisty road just outside Elko before straightening up and cutting straight north through the long valley. At Wild Horse State Park, I worked my way around the reservoir and entered into Owyhee River Canyon. The road was freshly oiled and was inky black as it snaked through one of the most beautiful canyons I've ever ridden. This is truly a gem! It wasn't technical but I did need to focus as the road just flowed along the river. Had to keep the full recording of just the canyon here. Coming out the other side led me to Mountain City and then Owyhee. Short gas stop, I was still thinking I could make my destination. But glad to have come up here and interested in coming back.

Leg four, back to Elko. Awww, have to do the canyon again. Shucks.

Leg five would take me from Elko to McGill along a road I had only partially done. Secret Pass is a place where the Ruby Mountains and the East Humbolt Range meet, forming an interesting little canyon with some neat geology. The road wraps around the south side of the Rubys, offering a new perspective, and also was my 500 mile mark to do a quick once around to make sure the bike was still running well (she was). But as I turned south again on 93, the wind began to push back and it was a fight to maintain my speed at anything resembling forward movement. Sadly, because of the fight, about 5 miles outside McGill, my bike sputtered once and I rapidly pulled over, coasting to a stop at the bottom of the hill. Bugger! Well, I did need to change out the old gas in my spare canisters anyway, now works!

Leg six was from McGill down to Hiko. Been down the east side of the Schell Creek Range but never fully down the west side. So, off I go! Hey, there's gas in Lund, must keep that in mind. Passed through that town and continued down the valley, passing through some beautiful scenery, and generally admiring parts of Nevada that I hadn't seen before. I rode through a place called White River Narrows, really awesome scenery and (I later learned) one of the highest concentrations of petroglyphs in Eastern Nevada! I will return! Sadly, my delays throughout the day had put me too late to get my gift and so just went straight to the gas station.

Leg seven was heading up from Ash Springs to Tonopah, a leg I've done more times than I could count. Only this time some dorkus had planned this ride to be at sunset - going across the ET Highway and the numerous black cows that wander freely across the road. Joy...

Leg eight finally got me turned pointing homeward. But now I had less that 200 miles before my odometer did whatever it was going to do. Reaching Luning I was down to 15 miles, so a small jog out and back left me at the rest area with a mere .2 miles. I scooted around the lot, probably to the annoyance of those who were trying to sleep, but eventually I caught the reset on camera!

I can see the craiglist ad now - Female owned, garage kept, low miles...

Since I had reached my 1000 mile goal in just under 18 hours, I wasn't in too big of a hurry to finish the 110 miles home. Took my time at the rest stop just chilling, then again took my time in Hawthorne hanging out at the gas station, took a nap about half way home in a dirt pull off, and finally rolled into the starting Maverik around 2:14am.

21 hours, 1117 miles, with a bunch of new roads ridden, and reached a mileage goal that I've been stoked on reaching for quite awhile.

Link to original page on YouTube.

*and if you are mechanically inclined, my truck is for sale: http://reno.craigslist.org/cto/5761359283.html

Hold yourself to the same rules you expect others to follow.
NevadaWolf is offline   Reply With Quote

6 out of 6 members found this post helpful.

Old September 5th, 2016, 06:28 AM   #2
Snake
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 05 Blue Ninja 250

MOTY - 2017, MOTM - Jan '19, Oct '16, May '14
What an awesome ride! Great pics and I love your choice of healthy snacks.
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 5th, 2016, 06:36 AM   #3
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Cool

Did you ever sleep during those 21 hours?

If not, how did you rest and recover from the sitting times/legs?
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 5th, 2016, 06:56 AM   #4
Snake

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 05 Blue Ninja 250

MOTY - 2017, MOTM - Jan '19, Oct '16, May '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motofool View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by NevadaWolf View Post

Since I had reached my 1000 mile goal in just under 18 hours, I wasn't in too big of a hurry to finish the 110 miles home. Took my time at the rest stop just chilling, then again took my time in Hawthorne hanging out at the gas station, took a nap about half way home in a dirt pull off, and finally rolled into the starting Maverik around 2:14am.

An awesomely detailed ride report.
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 5th, 2016, 10:16 AM   #5
CaliGrrl

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): Ninja650

MOTM - Apr '18, Apr '17, Apr '16
Awesome adventure! Thanks for sharing!
CaliGrrl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 5th, 2016, 02:19 PM   #6
VaFish

Name: Tom

Motorcycle(s): 2001 Ninja 250, 2019 Harley Ultra Classic, 2001 Suzuki SV650

MOTM - Jan '16
Awesome ride. Thanks for sharing it with us.
VaFish is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 5th, 2016, 02:34 PM   #7
NevadaWolf
Certified looney toon

MOTM Jul '13, Jul '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motofool View Post

As Snake quoted, the only nap was a 10 minute one about 50 odd miles from home. I wasn't tired until the temps started dropping after midnight, and can usually do a 18-19 hour days without a nap. Usually, but some rides I have needed one midway.

During the ride, I tend to squirm around a lot, stretching everything I can constantly. I love wind pressure in that it helps pull my arms or legs if I stretch back or I can push against the wind by stretching forward. I have found a way to balance on the bike while stretching my leg straight out. Probably look stupid as heck, but whatever. I do get off the bike after 120-160 miles so can walk around and stretch there, or pull over to do a few jumping jacks. Those make me feel very silly indeed so I can usually clear any mental fog that has settled. For me, I've learned my body's signs for when I just need to walk around vs when I need to nap vs when I need to stop. I'm always mindful of those signs, they've kept me riding this long.

The next day is where things get interesting. If the ride is over, my brain rebels against any activity and I usually just veg around the house (much to the delight of my kitty cat). Yesterday, I felt like I had caught a cold or had an allergy attack so me and Netflix wasted away the morning. But today, mostly back to normal - or as normal as I get anyway.

Old September 6th, 2016, 10:30 AM   #8
sharky nrk
Fighting Texas Aggie '05

Name: Neil

Motorcycle(s): '07 ZX6R, '08 Versys, '09 250R Track, '93 F2/F3 Track

AWESOME!!!
sharky nrk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 6th, 2016, 12:28 PM   #9
JohnnyBravo
Certifiable nontundrum

Name: Harper

Motorcycle(s): 2013 SE NINJA 300

MOTM - Sep '13, Sep '16
Hella awesome ride report of such a special ride!!! Thanks for sharing!

Old September 6th, 2016, 02:28 PM   #10
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Cool

Quote:
..........During the ride, I tend to squirm around a lot, stretching everything I can constantly...........
I very much appreciate your detailed explanation, Teri.
I need your help and suggestions.

The reason I have asked is my interest on making some of my last trips as long as yours.
As you know, I have no much more time to ride safely, although my physical condition and endurance is still very good (I regularly exercise and swing long distances).

I need to go to NY state more than once, and have been planning on it and even contemplating the undertaking of a 1,000 mile plus ride in 24 hours (SaddleSore 1000).
Maybe my wife will decide being my passenger for that round trip (in a bigger bike), who knows?
We have done it by driving our car, splitting in two days and taking a full night of sleep in a motel halfway.

I am still confused about the leaving and arriving times, combined with traffic (rush hours close to big cities) and resting/sleeping times.
I can stay awake for more than 24 hours, but I am not so sure when combined with riding.
I know that I can ride 10 hours straight, but I am not sure about 20, including night and day hours and fighting some sections with heavy traffic, rain, etc.

Maybe I could ride 10 hours, sleep 4 hours (during night hours) in my tend by the side of the road, and then conclude with the last 10 hours?
Rest a couple of days in NY and then repeat everything (except more time to rest) in the trip back?

Old September 6th, 2016, 03:53 PM   #11
benhh972
ninjette.org member

Name: Ben

Motorcycle(s): 2012 CBR 250R, 2013 Ninja 300

These epic trips make me so jealous.

Now you have a brand new fresh off the showroom motorcycle! Do you think you will make another trip like this again? Those desert landscapes really are beautiful.
I can see myself having my own adventure, but I have to arrange childcare.
benhh972 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 6th, 2016, 04:15 PM   #12
tfkrocks

Name: Rebecca

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300 w/ ABS, 2014 NC700X, 2008 Ninja 250 (sold), 2002 Ninja 250 (sold)

MOTM - Jan '18, Sep '13
You're one hell of a dedicated rider!

Old September 6th, 2016, 04:23 PM   #13
NevadaWolf
Certified looney toon

MOTM Jul '13, Jul '14
@Motofool, the beauty of certificate rides is they are primarily on your schedule.

Some people can start at midnight and be done between 4 and 6pm in order to be home in time for dinner. I can't ride before 5am without having to sleep a few hours later, so I ride between 5am and 11pm usually. Some people can't ride that much in one shot so take it in stages and use up the full 24 hours to do their ride. In start times, it really is you and your body that determines what is best. I think my very very first ride started around 7am because that made sense at the time. Oh boy did I get in late! LOL You have 24 hours, there are no rewards for going less, so use whatever time you need.

I have zero experience with having or being a passenger on these rides, but a nice lady named Lynda Lahman wrote a book on it: https://www.amazon.com/Two-Up-Naviga...sap_bc?ie=UTF8

I've done a similar ride to your idea. I started at noon, rode until 1am, stayed at a motel until 5am, then finished the ride by 11am. Saved me from riding in the coldest part of the night and kept me warm-ish throughout the ride. It's a perfectly viable plan (provided of course you know how and where to set up a tent to be ok overnight - I've always wondered about that).

Let's say your route takes you through three cities with rush hour issues. If they are spaced right, you might come up with an idea like this (desert rat with no city experience so forgive goofy example). You could figure out how long it would take from Start to City 1 and figure out how to get through the city before the traffic starts up in the morning, then adjust your start time to ensure a proper arrival time. Say City 2 has a lunch rush issue that you would arrive in the middle of, you could plot a route that would take you around that city to avoid the worst of it (getting a receipt on the detour to show your route). Then city 3 has a major traffic issue all day that you just cannot avoid. You can decided to roll through it and deal, stop for a long dinner, or catch a few z's. Then once you are clear of the slow down, finish the ride with smooth sailing ahead of you.

Resting/sleeping times are again what your body needs. In this case though, the ride is determined by how long you are stopped. For me, if I feel that I am yawning too much, not entirely focused, or feeling my arms and legs really start to tense up, then 10 minute nap on the side of the road is worth the lost speed average to keep me safe. The minimum overall average needed for the full 24 hours is 41.6 (I usually say 42.5 since that gives you a safe 20 mile buffer in case the odometer or map mileage is off). I aim for maintaining around 62-64 overall average for the first half of my ride which gives me around 750 miles in 12 hours. That leaves me 250 miles to go in 12 hours, and since I know I slow down during the second half of my ride, this creates a nice bubble of time to work in. If I am feeling great, I can complete the 250 miles in 4 hours and viola, done! If I am starting to get tired, I can afford to pull over and get a snack, walk around, or nap and still make it home. If I am really exhausted, I can pull over and sleep for a half an hour with time still to make it.

On this ride, I made the 1000 miles in 17:50. Since my brain thought I was done, the adrenaline and excitement wore off and fatigue set in. That's why it took me 3 hours to do the last 110 miles. I kept stopping to rest.

Sleeping during a ride is perfectly doable as long as you keep the time spent under control. The biggest time sink is gas stops. If you are maintaining a lower speed average, your time at the station is reduced which limits your time to fuel, walk, visit the bathroom, or get whatever from inside. With my Ninja, I can only go 120-160 miles before I have to fuel up. Sometimes less if the route needs a receipt or if the following stop is too far to reach. I tend to gas up between 10-12 times on a ride. From pull in to pull out, I have gotten my fuel time around 5 minutes (1 minute in, 3 to fill up, 1 minute out) which eats about an hour of my time. Two of those stops usually get a biobreak, so there's another 10-20 minutes lost. If I ever have to go in to get the receipt, and oh lord there is a line with one cashier!, kiss another 5-10 minutes good bye (especially behind the person shopping for the entire soccer team and paying with cash... for each individual kid... Ugh)

Maybe @Alex can chime in since he's done multi day rallies so might have ideas of how to best balance riding and resting when on the clock.

I like your idea of riding half day, sleeping for a few hours, then riding the rest of the day. With 20 full hours of riding, you would need to maintain an overall average of 50mph. So if you find roads that are faster than that, like 55-70, that should still leave you time to make the ride enjoyable.

I hope that helps, and is somewhat more informative that just rambling.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old September 6th, 2016, 04:32 PM   #14
NevadaWolf
Certified looney toon

MOTM Jul '13, Jul '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by benhh972 View Post
These epic trips make me so jealous.

Now you have a brand new fresh off the showroom motorcycle! Do you think you will make another trip like this again? Those desert landscapes really are beautiful.
I can see myself having my own adventure, but I have to arrange childcare.
Oh there will definitely be more long trips in the future, just maybe not on the Ninja. Now that I know I can reach far places within an "easy" time, I intend to use the skills learned in LD rides to get me an the Honda out to some of the more remote sections of this world.

If I can't sell it, more than likely the Ninja has one more long ride in her as I take her back to NJ. So there will be at least another 3k on the odometer before I am done.

Old September 6th, 2016, 04:42 PM   #15
tfkrocks

Name: Rebecca

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300 w/ ABS, 2014 NC700X, 2008 Ninja 250 (sold), 2002 Ninja 250 (sold)

MOTM - Jan '18, Sep '13
What's the last recorded mileage that the government has for your Ninja? Just ride it until a little more than that before selling. FS because you totally outgrew the bike after 1000 miles

Old September 6th, 2016, 06:16 PM   #16
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Cool

Quote:
........ I hope that helps, and is somewhat more informative that just rambling.
As informative as helpful.
You made me want to depart tonight !!!
Again, thank you much!

Old September 6th, 2016, 06:55 PM   #17
NevadaWolf
Certified looney toon

MOTM Jul '13, Jul '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by tfkrocks View Post
FS because you totally outgrew the bike after 1000 miles
And now I want to upgrade to an R6!

Isn't that how it's supposed to go?

Old September 6th, 2016, 10:08 PM   #18
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE, '15 CRF110F, '13 TT-R50E

Quote:
Maybe @Alex can chime in since he's done multi day rallies so might have ideas of how to best balance riding and resting when on the clock.
Sadly, not much science to it on my end. Get up early in the morning, ride until it feels like you can't ride anymore, sleep for a few hours, repeat. With any luck, that's 18 - 20 hrs of riding for a multi-day. I do know that some folks are much more advanced in figuring out when to take shorter rests to maximize their performance, but I'm not sure I understand it any better than anyone else here.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 26th, 2016, 11:27 PM   #19
NevadaWolf
Certified looney toon

MOTM Jul '13, Jul '14
Got an email from Lord Kneebone!

Quote:
This is to Certify that on the 3rd of September 2016, Teri Ligon rode her 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250 a total of 1,117 grueling miles on a lap of Nevada in less than twenty-four hours starting in Fallon continuing on to Winnemucca, Elko, Owyhee, Ely, Hiko, Tonopah and Hawthorne before returning to Fallon while participating in the Nevada SaddleSore 1000.

The odometer on Teri's tiny 250cc Kawasaki rolled over 100,000 miles at the end of this ride - an extreme mileage on an engine with a piston smaller than a cup of coffee.

Can't wait for this certificate!

Old September 27th, 2016, 09:56 AM   #20
CaliGrrl

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): Ninja650

MOTM - Apr '18, Apr '17, Apr '16
Nice!
CaliGrrl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 28th, 2016, 05:38 AM   #21
Tango89er
ninjette.org member

Name: Pete

Motorcycle(s): '89 Ninja 250 (#3650)

Nice to see another Saddlesore done on a 250. Has me wanting to do one on mine
Tango89er is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 28th, 2016, 11:22 AM   #22
VaFish

Name: Tom

Motorcycle(s): 2001 Ninja 250, 2019 Harley Ultra Classic, 2001 Suzuki SV650

MOTM - Jan '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango89er View Post
Nice to see another Saddlesore done on a 250. Has me wanting to do one on mine
Perth to Coolgardie to Esperance, to Albany and back to Perth would do it nicely.

or you could just ride to Broome. I like 80 mile beach.
VaFish is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 28th, 2016, 03:22 PM   #23
Tango89er
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaFish View Post
Perth to Coolgardie to Esperance, to Albany and back to Perth would do it nicely.

or you could just ride to Broome. I like 80 mile beach.
Would be an interesting course to plot out

Edit: Looked up the distance conversion, will probably do Perth to Meekatharra and back, plus a bit extra. I've always wanted to check out Mount Magnet, my nan grew up there

Old September 28th, 2016, 04:03 PM   #24
NevadaWolf
Certified looney toon

MOTM Jul '13, Jul '14
Whereabouts in Oz are you?

We've got IBR rider, @OX-34, here also who has shared his IBA rides on his 300.

Old September 28th, 2016, 04:55 PM   #25
Tango89er
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Whereabouts in Oz are you?
I'm Perth based. Lots of circuits to choose from if I head south, any trip to the north will be either a there and back trip, or one long trip