ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Notices

Old May 11th, 2018, 09:54 AM   #1
sqeet
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Marvin

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Kawasaki Ninja 250

Yet Another Oil Leak Post

So, I think I screwed up big time... but hoping someone can tell me it's not true. Had to drain the oil to ship my bike across the country. Made it safely and uneventfully. Ready to prep it to ride again, so I decided to change the oil filter (bought it after 6k miles and no clue if the previous owner changed the oil at 6k). Get everything put back together (even used a torque wrench). I go to add the new oil and immediately it starts leaking from what looks like a crack here: https://d.pr/i/VQaA0B (image also attached, in case link doesn't work).

I'm hoping you can either a) tell me I'm wrong and it's an easy fix like the filter is loose or b) help me identify what the name of this whole piece is and if it'll be an easy repair/replacement.

Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2018-05-11 at 09.47.58.jpg (70.6 KB, 19 views)
sqeet is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 11th, 2018, 10:00 AM   #2
Ralgha
ninjette.org sage

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R, Tiger 800 XRT

If that's really a crack and not just a scratch, I think it's a big time problem. However, are you sure it's coming from right there and not from the filter? Did you forget to install the o-ring, or might it have gotten pinched when you screwed it in? Did you smear the o-ring with a bit of oil before installing it?
Ralgha is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 11th, 2018, 10:25 AM   #3
sqeet
ninjette.org newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralgha View Post
If that's really a crack and not just a scratch, I think it's a big time problem. However, are you sure it's coming from right there and not from the filter? Did you forget to install the o-ring, or might it have gotten pinched when you screwed it in? Did you smear the o-ring with a bit of oil before installing it?
Just to be sure, I went and checked again. Wiped it clean and watched for the leak. It's definitely coming from that crack. Why do you say "big-time" problem? Is that the crankcase? Am I just hosed?

Old May 11th, 2018, 10:35 AM   #4
Ralgha
ninjette.org sage

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R, Tiger 800 XRT

Yeah, that's the crankcase. There may be a way to repair it, but I don't know enough about it to say how. Perhaps someone more knowledgeable knows a way.
Ralgha is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 11th, 2018, 11:24 AM   #5
DannoXYZ
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
Looks like crack, perhaps from being dropped. Is there flat-spot on bolt anywhere? Do you have photos without crack from before shipping? Perhaps shipper's insurance will cover it if it happened in transport.

Personally, I would drop engine, loosen surrounding case bolts, v-notch and weld it back up.
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 11th, 2018, 11:30 AM   #6
mgentz
Board Member

Name: ...

Motorcycle(s): 250R (street), 250R (dirt)

someone may have crushed or over-tightened the bolt that the crack (and seemingly another one) extends out from. If it truly is this, welding would be the best bet.

but....are you sure you put in a new o-ring for the filter plate? Was it the right size? My kit always comes with two versions....
mgentz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 11th, 2018, 12:16 PM   #7
sqeet
ninjette.org newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgentz View Post
someone may have crushed or over-tightened the bolt that the crack (and seemingly another one) extends out from. If it truly is this, welding would be the best bet.

but....are you sure you put in a new o-ring for the filter plate? Was it the right size? My kit always comes with two versions....
I'm sure. I'm pretty sure it was me who did that. I reached under blindly while putting the filter back on and must have tightened the wrong bolt w/ the torque wrench. And I used the right o-ring, the other one didn't fit. Unfortunately, I checked and the oil is definitely leaking from that crack. :facepalm:

So, welding is an option for this? Is that expensive? Anybody around the LA area have a reputable shop they love?

Old May 11th, 2018, 12:33 PM   #8
mgentz
Board Member

This sounds like I am beating a dead horse, but I think we need to be sure....

When you say that the oring did not fit, do you mean that it was too small or too large? I ask because you want to use the one that seems too large...and it does fit!

Old May 11th, 2018, 12:56 PM   #9
sqeet
ninjette.org newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgentz View Post
This sounds like I am beating a dead horse, but I think we need to be sure....

When you say that the oring did not fit, do you mean that it was too small or too large? I ask because you want to use the one that seems too large...and it does fit!
I matched the size I put in, to the one I took out.

I also went out there this morning and wiped down the area around it and waited for the oil to leak again... and, unfortunately, it's definitely coming from the crack in the lower crankcase. I'm just going to have to call around and find out how much it's going to cost to get it welded closed properly.

Old May 11th, 2018, 01:26 PM   #10
DannoXYZ
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
Quote:
Originally Posted by sqeet View Post
I'm sure. I'm pretty sure it was me who did that. I reached under blindly while putting the filter back on and must have tightened the wrong bolt w/ the torque wrench. And I used the right o-ring, the other one didn't fit. Unfortunately, I checked and the oil is definitely leaking from that crack. :facepalm:

So, welding is an option for this? Is that expensive? Anybody around the LA area have a reputable shop they love?
How much torque did you use? I doubt any amount of torque can generate a crack that large, that's A LOT of material to break, 3-4 inches of 5-6mm thick aluminium? Steel bolt would strip alloy threads well before being able to make that big of a break.

Definitely looks like an impact because one side of crack looks displaced about 0.5mm. Something had to not only break the case, but also have enough force to push one side inwards permanently by 0.5mm

Welding would be best and 100% for sure no-leak solution.
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 11th, 2018, 01:34 PM   #11
mgentz
Board Member

look at the crush washer on that thing! mushroomed around the bolt flange! definitely torqued the busienss out of that thing.