ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Notices

Old July 9th, 2019, 12:13 AM   #1
nocturncal
ninjette.org member

Name: Cal

Motorcycle(s): '09 Ninja 250R

Ignition Problems

So my motorcycle see a lot of starting and stopping due to delivering on the bike. Recently, I've had a problem with my starter

If Im starting the bike for the first time in the day, it will always crank and start. But after warming the bike up and riding around, if I turn the bike off and then try to start it, the bike won't crank. I'll hear a click and the dash lights come on, but it won't turn over.

The only thing that helps is letting the motorcycle sit for 5-10 minutes. After letting the bike cool down the bike will only then crank.

I just bought a new battery today and I'm having the same problem, so I don't think was an old battery.

Ive also took a wire brush and cleaned the wire ends that connect to the battery posts

I've got a voltage display on my USB connection, and when the bike is on, the voltage sits at about 14V and doesn't fluctuate more than 0.1V.

The one odd thing I've noticed is if I turn my ignition key past the ON position and continue to push the key going clockwise, the the dash lights will turn off.

Last futzed with by nocturncal; July 9th, 2019 at 04:21 AM.
nocturncal is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 9th, 2019, 12:04 PM   #2
DannoXYZ
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
Ignition switch contacts may disconnect if turned too far. That's not related to starting issue.

When it goes >CLICK< as you hit start button confirms that everything is working upstream, all interloc switches, all power-related switches. The only thing left that can possibly be problematic is:

- power wire from battery going to starter solenoid
- starter solenoid itself may have worn contacts internally
- power wire going out of starter solenoid to starter
- ground cable from battery to chassis

Might want to disconnect all these other cable ends that you haven't got to yet (all cables have 2 ends). Clean and lightly sand them and re-assemble.

Next time it goes >CLICK< without spinning starter, try bypassing starter solenoid by bridging its input & output terminals with needle-nose pliers. If this does spin starter, then we know for sure problem is with starter solenoid.

I'm just on other side of Bay from you (15-min past Sears Point Sonoma Raceway) if you want to come over. I've got spare cables & solenoids.
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 9th, 2019, 02:53 PM   #3
Ceeloo Yello
ninjette.org guru

Name: C

Motorcycle(s): 250

If it was a car I would call that heat soak.

Old July 11th, 2019, 12:56 AM   #4
nocturncal
ninjette.org member

Thanks for the replies. Sorry for the dumb questions, but where is the solenoid located? I get the concept about bypassing the relay by using a before nose pliers. See somebody the part where the positive remember cable leads to a 30amp fuse tooth a red cover, on the left side of the bike under the seat?

Picture of what I'm referring to--

https://ibb.co/P9ptfL1

I'm relatively new to doing motorcycle maintanence. I've done a valve adjustment/oil changed/coolant flush on the bike but never really messed with the electrical side of stuff. Long time rider but never explored the wrenching side of things. Someone should have warned me it's addictive haha. I just wanna stay in my garage all day.

Old July 11th, 2019, 01:51 AM   #5
DannoXYZ

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

Hey, valve-adjustments are pretty advanced stuff, good job!!!

Yup, you found starter solenoid.

It's held onto bracket by rubber sleeve. Pull it towards back to remove from sleeve. Then at bottom, you can flip off rubber covers over the cable terminals. Then you'll see two big terminals to bridge. One of these connects directly to battery's +12v terminal, so be careful not to touch it to frame or any other wiring.

BTW, need to leave red plug connected as it provides power to ignition-switch.

Old July 11th, 2019, 02:14 AM   #6
nocturncal
ninjette.org member

Awesome thanks brah!

I'll continue tomorrow and post some updates. I finally left the garage, just unbuttoned the bike in preparation for tomorrow.

Well that and did some tool maintanence/reorganization. I'm slowly outgrowing my little garage space in SF

And the valve adjustment felt like advanced work haha. I spent days taking everything apart, measuring, putting it back together, remeasuring, not liking the measurements, taking it apart again, and doing that over and over for 4 days till I felt comfortable enough to ride it.

Old July 11th, 2019, 09:28 PM   #7
nocturncal
ninjette.org member

So after riding today, I can't recreate the problem...

Im just gonna keep the bike partially unbuttoned and store pliers so in the event that it starts acting up again I'll be able to test the solenoid.

After failing to recreate the problem, I've cleaned both ends of the ground and positive battery cables.

As far as testing to see if called are a possible problem, is using a multimeter on the cables an option? Like measuring resistance and continuity?

Old July 11th, 2019, 11:58 PM   #8
DannoXYZ

Sure, measure resistance end-to-end with cables in place. Very well could have been poor contact from corrosion on any of the ones you've cleaned.

Another test is to measure voltage drop at battery terminals when cranking. Then compare that to voltage at starter's +12v terminal when cranking.