ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2013 - 2017 Ninja 300 > 2013 - 2017 Ninja 300 Tech Talk

Old October 24th, 2016, 07:07 AM   #1
Ant918
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Anthony

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 300

Issue with and question regarding my quickshifter

Hey guys I've been riding for 5 months now and I've absolutely fallen in love with my Ninja 300! I recently had a Bazzaz QS 4 quickshifter put on by my dealership in hopes of increasing the quality of life of putzing around my neighborhood lol.

Unfortunately I'm having some issues with it and I'm looking to remove it now. The bike really jerks a lot when using the thing and I've had several times where it seems as though the bike will float between gears, let's say 3-4 as an example, and then eventually fall back into the lower gear as though the clutch didn't engage properly. As far as I know I emailed Bazzaz and they claimed that the unit comes preinstalled with optimal cut times for my specific bike so I'm not sure what's wrong here.

Long story short I've been wanting to remove it for awhile now, which would probably be for the better anyhow as I'm still a beginner rider and I should be learning to upshift the proper way anyways. Here's my predicament, it cost me $300 dollars in labor to have it installed(on top of the $400 for the unit itself) and I don't feel like spending another $300 to have it taken off(Christmas is coming up way too quick lol).

I'm wondering, does the unit act "in addition to" the bike or does it replace components. I was thinking maybe I could just cut the unit out, sever the quickshifter wire and remove the QS, and replace my old shift rod(this would also make adjusting my shifter easier, the way the quickshifter is set up I can't just rotate the rod, I have to make course adjustments instead). I don't mind leaving the wiring harness in and just zip tying the left over cable if need be, as long as I'm not damaging the bike. Does anybody have any suggestions? You guys would be real lifesavers here lol.
Ant918 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 24th, 2016, 07:13 AM   #2
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Reinstall your OEM shift rod, zip tie everything up nice and secure. Should be as simple as that.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 24th, 2016, 07:13 AM   #3
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

Oh and welcome!

Old October 24th, 2016, 07:26 AM   #4
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
This doesn't sound like a fundamental issue with the system. It sounds like a user issue, or possibly an adjustment issue.

Are you applying enough force to the shifter to fully engage the gear? If not, it would produce the symptoms you describe.

I have a QS on my track bike (a Healtech) and the proper technique is to be assertive. Doesn't mean violent, but you definitely do make a positive motion.

Two other points:

First, most quickshifters are for upshifts only. They say mine might work for downshifting, but not designed for that... and it's a bit rough coming down.

Second, quickshifters are specifically meant for full-throttle upshifts, basically doing the same thing as a manual clutchless upshift, automatically. If you're rolling off, it might not be working as intended.

Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
Heri historia. Cras mysterium. Hodie donum est. Carpe diem.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 24th, 2016, 07:41 AM   #5
Ant918
ninjette.org newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith12 View Post
Reinstall your OEM shift rod, zip tie everything up nice and secure. Should be as simple as that.
If it's that easy I'd be happier than a pig in **** lol! And thank you for the welcome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by adouglas View Post
This doesn't sound like a fundamental issue with the system. It sounds like a user issue, or possibly an adjustment issue.

Are you applying enough force to the shifter to fully engage the gear? If not, it would produce the symptoms you describe.

I have a QS on my track bike (a Healtech) and the proper technique is to be assertive. Doesn't mean violent, but you definitely do make a positive motion.

Two other points:

First, most quickshifters are for upshifts only. They say mine might work for downshifting, but not designed for that... and it's a bit rough coming down.

Second, quickshifters are specifically meant for full-throttle upshifts, basically doing the same thing as a manual clutchless upshift, automatically. If you're rolling off, it might not be working as intended.
I do agree it's probably a user issue, when it kinda does that floaty thing between gears it's usually because I tapped the shifter instead of giving it a good kick, I should probably adjust my lever down to allow for more leverage, mine feels a little high. I'm definitely not rolling off as I quickshift though, it just feels quite unsettling when the bike jerks after clutchless shifting. I'm gonna see if I can play around with the lever, again it's quite annoying having to make course adjustments though due to the quickshifter being in the way. The reason why I adjusted it higher in the first place was because when I'd get my foot ready for an upshift it would often cause the quickshifter to trigger, but not all the way, which would make it float between gears. Almost feels as if it's too sensitive.

Old October 24th, 2016, 09:32 AM   #6
CaliGrrl
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): Ninja650

MOTM - Apr '18, Apr '17, Apr '16
Welcome!
CaliGrrl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 24th, 2016, 12:22 PM   #7
Ant918
ninjette.org newbie

Quote:
I took a look at my bike on my lunch break and seeing as how the strain gauge is threaded into the shift rod if I removed the shift rod the gauge would be left hanging about, this is why I was just gonna cut it out and zip tie the remaining cable. My only problem is I'm petrified that severing that connection may mess something up because I know the whole harness plugs into the the coils and speed sensor. Do you suggest I just I just slap my oem shift rod in and zip tie the entire wire and strain gauge to somewhere of my choice? I'm sorry for the noobness here I just don't wanna be without a bike due to my ignorance lol!

Old October 24th, 2016, 12:22 PM   #8
Ant918
ninjette.org newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliGrrl View Post
Welcome!
Thanks!

Old October 24th, 2016, 12:37 PM   #9
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant918 View Post
I took a look at my bike on my lunch break and seeing as how the strain gauge is threaded into the shift rod if I removed the shift rod the gauge would be left hanging about, this is why I was just gonna cut it out and zip tie the remaining cable. My only problem is I'm petrified that severing that connection may mess something up because I know the whole harness plugs into the the coils and speed sensor. Do you suggest I just I just slap my oem shift rod in and zip tie the entire wire and strain gauge to somewhere of my choice? I'm sorry for the noobness here I just don't wanna be without a bike due to my ignorance lol!
Np, take a photo to ensure we understand what you're working with, but yes. If it were me, I would take all components of the qs and zip tie it under the seat and reinstall the oem shift rod. When you are ready, you have all the parts right there to enable the qs again. The only other issue would be to readjust the shift lever to your preference.

Basically by removing the rod, it will never kill the spark during a shift. Effectively rendering the qs inoperative. We do this all the time at the track when riders have issues with them or they are out of adjustment. It's actually quite common.

But take a pic and let's see to make sure you're not without a bike due to my assumptions.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old October 24th, 2016, 12:48 PM   #10
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

There is another option if you want to explore it. And that is to try to ride in a way that takes advantage of the hardware you so paid for.

Try this...

Accelerate to 3rd or 4th gear
Without using the clutch and keeping your throttle steady or rolling on, upshift to 4th or 5th

Your bike might make a popping sound (backfire) as it kills spark for a brief moment and then kicks in and burns extra fuel in system. That pop is the qs working, it's not a flaw. Since you have only been riding for 5 months, this may go against some of the riding skills you may have read about.

Once you grasp and understand what the bike wants from you as a rider, then you start riding that way from 1st gear.

A bit of blunt honesty here: It's cool and all to upgrade your machine the way you want and like it. However, like buying race slick tires for a brand new rider, some upgrades can cause more harm than they do good until the rider is ready. At 5 months in, you don't really need a quick shifter. It's hurting your progress as a learning rider.

I wish nothing but the best for you and I think your on the right path by disabling it for the time being until you are ready.

Old October 24th, 2016, 12:52 PM   #11
Ant918
ninjette.org newbie

Quote:
There is another option if you want to explore it. And that is to try to ride in a way that takes advantage of the hardware you so paid for.

Try this...

Accelerate to 3rd or 4th gear
Without using the clutch and keeping your throttle steady or rolling on, upshift to 4th or 5th

Your bike might make a popping sound (backfire) as it kills spark for a brief moment and then kicks in and burns extra fuel in system. That pop is the qs working, it's not a flaw. Since you have only been riding for 5 months, this may go against some of the riding skills you may have read about.

A bit of blunt honesty here: It's cool and all to upgrade your machine the way you want and like it. However, like buying race slick tires for a brand new rider, some upgrades can cause more harm than they do good until the rider is ready. At 5 months in, you don't really need a quick shifter. It's hurting your progress as a learning rider.

I wish nothing but the best for you and I think your on the right path by disabling it for the time being until you are ready.
I absolutely agree with you man, I think I got in a little over my head, I'd really like to go back to that stock feeling on the bike, I've messed with so many things like the quickshifter itself and the lever positioning. It's really throwing my brain for a loop lol.

Old October 24th, 2016, 06:05 PM   #12
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant918 View Post
........I'd really like to go back to that stock feeling on the bike..........
https://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=247950

http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/How_do_...the_shifter%3F

Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 25th, 2016, 04:09 AM   #13
Ant918
ninjette.org newbie

Just an update guys, per csmith12's suggestion I swapped back in my oem shift rod, removed my side fairings and seat(where I also discovered the dealership guys broke my left side fairing clip), snaked the strain gauge through and rolled it up and zip tied it neatly and stuffed it under the seat. I adjusted my shift lever further down and the bike feels absolutely fantastic. I also have the piece of mind that if I do ever choose to want the QS again, it's simply under my seat. Thanks so much for the suggestions!

Old October 25th, 2016, 04:20 AM   #14
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer