ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old May 20th, 2012, 05:03 PM   #1
Jordan91
ninjette.org member

Name: Jordan

Motorcycle(s): None yet

Bent some metal and stripped some screws.. help me ha

Im trying to remove my handle bar controls but I stripped this screw here (t):

I also managed to bend this. Its where the right rear foot peg mounts:

When I bolt on the rear footpeg, it bends inwards. Do you guys have any methods of fixing this?
Jordan91 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 20th, 2012, 05:26 PM   #2
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
The handle bar weight is absolutely the hardest part to dissemble.
For some reason, Kawa makes sure that they will be there for life.
I would leave it there.

Try a big visegrip or adjustable wrench for bending back the support of the footpeg.

Heat from a torch will help in both cases, but it will damage the paint.
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 20th, 2012, 05:51 PM   #3
Racer x
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawmeracchi 350 2010 Project X

MOTM - Sep '18, Feb '16
The bar end is held with thread locker. You need to heat them up to remove them. Since the screw head is gone . You will have to cut a slot in the end , then heat the screw and use a flat blade screwdriver.
Racer x is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 21st, 2012, 10:58 AM   #4
StaylorT
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Sheldon

Motorcycle(s): Cbr 125, Ninja 250

I had the same issue with my bar ends. One side came out easily with some heat from a blow torch. the other side did not move, stripped the head.. and started to cry lol.

If you have a power drill, go out and buy something called "GraBit" or something like that. It will drill a hold into the bolt head, and has an attachment that screws into that new hole and allows you to pull it out. That little GraBit saved my life lol.
StaylorT is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 21st, 2012, 05:11 PM   #5
cuong-nutz
RIP Alex

Name: Cuong

Motorcycle(s): '10 250r, '09 265r

Hit up Lowes or any hardware store and pick up a propane torch used for brazing. They're like 14 dollars and come with a small propane tank. Once heated up, you might have enough bite left on the screw head to turn it loose.

Another option is to just cut the bar and slide it out the other way.

Old May 21st, 2012, 05:14 PM   #6
Jordan91
ninjette.org member

Best way to the cut bar?
Posted via Mobile Device

Old May 21st, 2012, 05:21 PM   #7
cuong-nutz
RIP Alex

Name: Cuong

Motorcycle(s): '10 250r, '09 265r

If you don't plan on reusing the bar end and bar, just cut it wherever so you can just slide your throttle tube out. Hacksaw will take a while, but it's doable. I love my sawzall. A grinder with a cut-off blade works as well.

Old May 21st, 2012, 05:23 PM   #8
Jordan91
ninjette.org member

What tool do I use to cut through that? Looks pretty tough
Posted via Mobile Device

Old May 21st, 2012, 05:26 PM   #9
leed
ninjette.org sage

Name: David

Motorcycle(s): Time will tell

Don't cut the bar! Are you serious?! That's crazy talk! It'd be much easier to use a drill bit to drill out the remainder of the head of the screw! Then heat what sticks out (a good inch or so) and unscrew it with a set of vicegrips. The bolt is countersunk, so you shouldn't have too much trouble with it. AND if you get a left hand 2 spiral bit, you get the advantage of it unscrewing should it catch! Though I don't think a bit like that is available at Home Depot/Lowes.

EDIT:

For the passenger peg mount, get a torch, heat up the area, bolt the passenger peg bracket (or two other pieces of steel) and bend it back that way. Spray paint it when you're done so that it won't rust.
leed is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 21st, 2012, 06:26 PM   #10
Jordan91
ninjette.org member

so drill out the head so just the post of the screw is sticking out then heat and twist it to unscrew it?

Old May 21st, 2012, 06:30 PM   #11
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
i'm trying hard to imagine a possible scenario that led to the peg mount getting bent like that... but i just can't see it. could you please tell us the story?

Old May 21st, 2012, 06:31 PM   #12
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan91 View Post
so drill out the head so just the post of the screw is sticking out then heat and twist it to unscrew it?
drill the head until the outside edge of the head of the screw is seperated from the main portion of the screw. then you will be able to pull off the weight. then there will be like an inch of screw explosed. heat up the remains of the screw and twist it with some pliers

Old May 21st, 2012, 06:50 PM   #13
Jordan91
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.s View Post
i'm trying hard to imagine a possible scenario that led to the peg mount getting bent like that... but i just can't see it. could you please tell us the story?
I wish I could remember. All i remember was the ground was wet, took a corner too fast and when I got around the corner there was another accident so there was traffic backed up and i couldn't stop in time. Next thing I know Im waking up in a stretcher being put into an ambulance. but anyways...

So correct me if im wrong, but once i trill out the head, I will be able to slide off the end cap leaving a gap of exposed screw of which i will be able to twist?

Old May 21st, 2012, 07:17 PM   #14
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan91 View Post
I wish I could remember. All i remember was the ground was wet, took a corner too fast and when I got around the corner there was another accident so there was traffic backed up and i couldn't stop in time. Next thing I know Im waking up in a stretcher being put into an ambulance. but anyways...

So correct me if im wrong, but once i trill out the head, I will be able to slide off the end cap leaving a gap of exposed screw of which i will be able to twist?
AHHHH i gotcha. didn't realize there was a crash involved here! makes so much more sense now

anyway, thats correct.