ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Notices

Old March 20th, 2015, 01:38 PM   #1
LNasty
Daily Jap rider

Name: Lance

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250r

Stupid noob question from a non-noob

So i am running the Avon AM26 Roadriders right now (110/140) and after about 6500k miles I'm about due for a new rear. I do really like these tires and they last decent amount of miles, especially for the daily freeway commuting that i do. First dumbass question is, can i put a different brand on the rear add long as it is bias ply like the front? Second question is, avon makes a 140/75-17 Cobra tire, but says it is a front tire, can this be used as the rear? .......let the yelling, name calling, sighs and eye rolling commence. I will start it off with this emoticon.
LNasty is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 20th, 2015, 01:51 PM   #2
cadd
cadd cadd cadd

Name: Cadd

Motorcycle(s): 300

MOTM - May '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by LNasty View Post
First dumbass question is, can i put a different brand on the rear add long as it is bias ply like the front?
I had the same dumbass question as well. But I didn't care to ask for other people's dumbass answers to my dumbass question...so my dumbass just went out and did it anyway. I will be installing a different brand/model rear and front tire within the next week or so.

So, if you don't hear from this dumbass again, his dumbass bike probably exploded while the dumbass was riding it.

PS - I don't think it's a dumbass question. I just don't know if anyone will be able to provide a sound scientific reason as to why or why shouldn't different brands can or can't be used interchangeably.
cadd is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old March 20th, 2015, 01:52 PM   #3
dcj13
Participant

Name: Dave

Motorcycle(s): '94 K75 std

MOTM - Aug '15
Quote:
First question is, can i put a different brand on the rear add long as it is bias ply like the front?
My opinion: Yes.

Quote:
Second question is, avon makes a 140/75-17 Cobra tire, but says it is a front tire, can this be used as the rear?
My opinion: If it's the correct size, yes. BUT... you'll want to install it in the "wrong rolling direction" to get the tread pattern correct for a rear tire.

Dunno if a shop will install a front tire on a rear wheel: this'll probably have to be a do-it-yourself job. And every time a mototech or tire person sees it they'll raise their eyebrow and look at you funny.

A lot of folks are anal-retentive about motorcycle tires and don't like contemplating doing unusual things like you are pondering.
dcj13 is offline   Reply With Quote

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old March 20th, 2015, 01:59 PM   #4
Electronic M
ninjette.org member

Name: Dima

Motorcycle(s): zx10r

Is there a reason that you want to put a tire that was made for the front?
Electronic M is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 20th, 2015, 02:10 PM   #5
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
i'm with dcj... but i would probably just get a tired that is built for the direction you want it to go.... the sipes are different front to rear but the plys are layed for the type of forces you would expect from that tire (acceleration in the rear, braking in the front) so i donno if that would still be correct after flipping..... i mean i would think it would but i don't really know much about tires.

Old March 20th, 2015, 02:32 PM   #6
LNasty
Daily Jap rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post
Is there a reason that you want to put a tire that was made for the front?
The rear cobras don't come in any size that fits the new gen, this is the closest. Just have been wanting to try these tires, have been reading up on them and they look decent.

Old March 20th, 2015, 02:36 PM   #7
DaBlue1
Long Time Rider

Name: Blue

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

This article may help.

Tires Directional Arrows Explained By Avon Tyres
DaBlue1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 20th, 2015, 02:42 PM   #8
LNasty
Daily Jap rider

If it is something that is completely unsafe, as far as putting a front on the rear, then i definitely won't try it. Really sucks that we have such a limited stock to choose from as far as tires. If you want sticky and don't care about mileage, then you really can't do better than the the diablo's or demons. But for commuting and in bias ply, options are limited. Need it to last 6k to 10k miles, but also not be as hard as a hockey puck. The avons i have are great, don't get me wrong, just want to try some others. I like the avons better than the kenda's but don't last as long, Kenda do seem to have harder rubber though. IRC's are just scary, especially in the rain and most other tires suited for commuting are radials. Not opposed to radials, but that would have to wait until i am due for a complete new set, front still has another 8k to 10k left on it. Might look into trying a different brand rear but in bias ply. Seems like it shouldn't effect safety much, please correct me if i am completely wrong on that.

Old March 20th, 2015, 02:44 PM   #9
LNasty
Daily Jap rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBlue1 View Post
Good article. I emailed avon about using the cobra front as rear, waiting for response

Old March 20th, 2015, 02:45 PM   #10
dcj13
Participant

MOTM - Aug '15
My rationale for it being OK to run the liter-bike front on the back of the Ninjette is that the braking and steering loads imparted by a liter-bike exceed the acceleration loads imparted by a 250 cc bike.

Quote:
Good article. I emailed avon about using the cobra front as rear, waiting for response
They'll say no.

Old March 20th, 2015, 02:56 PM   #11
Electronic M
ninjette.org member

Name: Dima

Motorcycle(s): zx10r

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcj13 View Post
My rationale for it being OK to run the liter-bike front on the back of the Ninjette is that the braking and steering loads imparted by a liter-bike exceed the acceleration loads imparted by a 250 cc bike.

They'll say no.
You do realize that braking and acceleration loads are in opposite directions?
Electronic M is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 20th, 2015, 04:41 PM   #12
dcj13
Participant

MOTM - Aug '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post
You do realize that braking and acceleration loads are in opposite directions?
Yes! The rubber tire doesn't care. That's why I would recommend installing the liter-bike front tire "backwards" on the Ninjette rear wheel (if I were to use that particular "front" tire on the rear wheel).

Old March 21st, 2015, 02:37 PM   #13
LNasty
Daily Jap rider

Well i ended up just ordering another of the Avon Roadriders, felt that any risk, no matter how small, just isn't worth it just so i can test out a different brand or model of tire. In another 7k miles i will be ready for a new front and rear and will try something then, more than likely the Michelin street pilots. In the end the Avon roadriders are still the best i have had thus far for a commuting tire that wears well and has great traction even in downpours.

Old March 21st, 2015, 10:47 PM   #14
cadd
cadd cadd cadd

Name: Cadd

Motorcycle(s): 300

MOTM - May '15
Have you thought about the Pilot Street Radials? Would those work for your commutes?
cadd is offline   Reply With Quote