ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Notices

Old February 14th, 2014, 01:48 PM   #1
subxero
dirty boy

Name: Joe

Motorcycle(s): I don't even know anymore??

MOTM - Apr '14
The problem with valuable property vs cash in hand

BAH!! I don't know if it is a combination of cabin fever setting in and or just my need to buy something new but I feel like I am going crazy lately.

Been wanting to pick up a project bike for a month or 2 now which is great. I could go and get at least one of the bikes I am looking at but would not have any cash to work on it with so it would sit around but I guess at least I would have it right?

This being said I am waiting to sell a few things before I commit to the buy just to be on the safe side of things and my patience has started to run out it's driving me crazy and looking at bikes isn't helping.

I see all these bikes I could get... if I can mange to sell my crap but until that happens I just have physical things that have a number value attached to them but in no way shape or form does that immediately help me with purchasing a bike.

One of the bikes I was very interested in and had been watching (never expected it to sell) well it sold last week shortly after I made up my mind that it was going to be the one I would buy as soon as I sold 1 or 2 things.

No sweat there is another bike I am looking at but now I feel like I am on the clock and if I don't act it is going to disappear as well.

/end rant

I don't think I'm a lot dumber than you thought that I think that I thought I was once.
subxero is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 14th, 2014, 02:26 PM   #2
corksil
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: TC

Motorcycle(s): A lot.

Often times, cash and assets depreciate at the same rate.

A stack of bills will get moldy, but can be cleaned.

Things like bikes, cars, guns etc can be sold, but usually not for as much as you think they can, and certainly not for what you want to get for them in a hurry.

I don't really have any answers. Money sitting in a safety deposit box literally does you zero good. However a durable good that retains some degree of value even after use is often a smarter way to store wealth.

1000 is 1000, but it's depreciates with inflation a lot more rapidly than people think. Seems like 5 years ago everything was half the price it is now. It's insane. Some old korean lady charged me 50 dollars to sew a zipper on my motorcycle jacket yesterday... I took my martial art uniform to her to sew some patches on a few years ago and it was like ten bucks back then...

1000 dollar motorcycle might only sell for 800 in the future (less actually, when you consider inflation,) --- but that for that 200 dollars of lost money, you get to ride it and use it.

Always a paradox.
corksil is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 14th, 2014, 02:51 PM   #3
greenaero
Motorcycle Hypermiler

Name: Vic

Motorcycle(s): 1999 & 2005 Kawasaki Ninja 250R's

I would recommenfd not looking for another bike until you have the $ to buy something. It will drive you crazy , particularly if you find a great deal, don't have the funds to buy it and then watch it set sold to someone else. Patience grasshopper! There are always opportunities for those with cash in hand!

Old February 14th, 2014, 05:35 PM   #4
subxero
dirty boy

MOTM - Apr '14
i am feeling a little better now, after work i went for a drive and was thinking about some of my other hobbies i plan on doing and i feel i have partially come to my senses… at least for a few days. I think the fact that it is Friday helped a little to.

I don't think I'm a lot dumber than you thought that I think that I thought I was once.

Old February 14th, 2014, 08:08 PM   #5
broken neck
ninjette.org guru

Name: Thomas

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R Special Edition (sold), 2017 CRF250 Rally

Like my girlfriend likes to say...

"It wasn't meant for you"...

"Be patient you'll get yours when you won't be expecting it"...

Not much help... Sorry...
broken neck is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 15th, 2014, 08:58 AM   #6
subxero
dirty boy

MOTM - Apr '14
like my wife says.

"You don't need that!!"

Old February 15th, 2014, 09:55 AM   #7
Sirref
Private Joker

Name: Ben

Motorcycle(s): '99/'01 Ninja 250 "sketchy", '13 Ninja 300 "yoshi", '03 GSXR 600 "merlin"

MOTM - Mar '14
She has a very strict definition of need hahaha, want can easily come close to equaling need if it is wanted enough.
Sirref is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 18th, 2014, 02:08 PM   #8
Han Solo 1
ninjette.org guru

Name: Han Solo

Motorcycle(s): Had a 2008 Ninja 250, til some low-life stole it. Now riding a 2013 red cbr250.

I feel your pain, OP.

Waiting for insurance to come through on my stolen bike, and sitting on a stack of $$ as well from savings and things I sold to get another bike.

I kept checking Craigslist and seeing great bikes come and go, driving myself NUTS. This morning I finally stopped and I've decided that I won't even go on Craigslist until I have cash in hand to buy.
Han Solo 1 is offline   Reply With Quote