ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old July 31st, 2017, 07:12 PM   #1
daverdfw
ninjette.org guru

Name: David

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250

2005 250 sitting outside for years , smoking when running

So I got a bike that was sitting behind a dealer with 1200 miles on it. Carbs removed to the intake was exposed. Was able to get it running, sounds ok but notice some blueish/whiteish smoke. it seems to go away after it runs for a bit. Havent taken it on the road yet, just running it in the garage.

SO my question is, could this be maybe stuck rings? anything I can do? Or just run it some more and see if it clears up?

Also I did notice the left exhaust pipe would billow smoke from where the header connects to the slipon. my guess is that cylinder is making excess smoke. Thanks!
daverdfw is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 31st, 2017, 09:14 PM   #2
DannoXYZ
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
What does the blueish/whiteish smoke smell like?

First step I'd do I'd compression check.
Then drop a borescope in and take look around.
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 31st, 2017, 09:16 PM   #3
daverdfw
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacRyann View Post
What does the blueish/whiteish smoke smell like?

First step I'd do I'd compression check.
Then drop a borescope in and take look around.
didn't have a lot of smell, maybe faint oil/gas.

Old July 31st, 2017, 09:39 PM   #4
daverdfw
ninjette.org guru

just pulled the plugs, the left cylinder which was the one smoking a lot, was really white, the right cylinder was a normal black color. I have sent the carbs of to get professionally cleaned and tested.

Old July 31st, 2017, 10:15 PM   #5
DannoXYZ

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

White smoke is usually coolant and has sweet smell. Steam does a great job of cleaning plugs. This is most likely head-gasket. Do compression test for more data.

Old July 31st, 2017, 10:55 PM   #6
Ghostt
in your machine

Name: Scott

Motorcycle(s): 98 Ninja 250/F12 aka ZX-2R "SERENITY", 91 Ninja 500/A5 aka ZX-5R "Phoenix", 84 Honda GL1200A "SIREN"

MOTM - Jun '17, May '16, Mar '15
I wouldn't worry too much about it.

If an engine sits for awhile I will remove the plugs and put a little oil down in the cylinders, and the rotate it by hand several times, then add some more oil, and repeat a few times. Then I use the starter motor and to the same, this also allows to left over oil to exit thru the spark plug holes. Also cranking it over without the plugs let's the oil pump circulate the oil thru out the engine.

Then after all it well, and no problems pop up, I install the plugs and then fire it up.

Did you use fresh gas? Check anything else before starting? Oil change? Check valve clearances? Service the spark plug caps? Etc... You see where I'm going with this.

Save the compression test for another time, at this point it's not needed. You might as well check tire pressure for all the good it will do at this point.

ZX-2R BLOG
Twitter and Instagram = Ghostt_Scott
I'm not here to change your mind, just to inform.
Ghostt is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old August 1st, 2017, 06:19 AM   #7
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
I would do as Ghostt suggested, and do some basic maintenance before getting to worried about it.

Change the oil and filter, check the coolant level in the radiator and bottle (change it later when it's running).

You want to watch the oil and coolant levels closely for signs if a problem. If there is a head gasket problem you are going to see changes in both levels.

Can the dealer give you any clues as to why this 2005 model with only 1200 mi was parked and forgotten? I'd start there for clues as to what might need to be done.

You will want to do other things as well, like adjust the valves. You could check the clearances now if you want, but I would wait to do a final adjustment until it's running if they are close.

Brake fluid should be changed, as well as the tires, before riding if you get the engine running correctly.

This section may have some valuable info for you - https://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/Ninja250_Howto
jkv45 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 1st, 2017, 06:55 AM   #8
daverdfw
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkv45 View Post
I would do as Ghostt suggested, and do some basic maintenance before getting to worried about it.

Change the oil and filter, check the coolant level in the radiator and bottle (change it later when it's running).

You want to watch the oil and coolant levels closely for signs if a problem. If there is a head gasket problem you are going to see changes in both levels.

Can the dealer give you any clues as to why this 2005 model with only 1200 mi was parked and forgotten? I'd start there for clues as to what might need to be done.

You will want to do other things as well, like adjust the valves. You could check the clearances now if you want, but I would wait to do a final adjustment until it's running if they are close.

Brake fluid should be changed, as well as the tires, before riding if you get the engine running correctly.

This section may have some valuable info for you - https://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/Ninja250_Howto

no clue why it was sitting, it was low sided from what I could tell and just abandoned.

Oil has been change, coolant it full and green. New plugs installed by me. I haven't checked the valve clearance yet. Carbs ar being sent off to ducatiman for full service. It runs pretty well just the smoke in concerning.

Old August 1st, 2017, 07:48 AM   #9
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by daverdfw View Post
no clue why it was sitting, it was low sided from what I could tell and just abandoned.

Oil has been change, coolant it full and green. New plugs installed by me. I haven't checked the valve clearance yet. Carbs ar being sent off to ducatiman for full service. It runs pretty well just the smoke in concerning.
OK - good. Just keep an eye on the fluid levels for any changes.

A few squirts of oil in the cylinders wouldn't be a bad idea before starting. I would get it running and tuned, and see what happens with the smoke issue before tearing it apart.
jkv45 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 1st, 2017, 07:50 AM   #10
daverdfw
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkv45 View Post
OK - good. Just keep an eye on the fluid levels for any changes.

A few squirts of oil in the cylinders wouldn't be a bad idea before starting. I would get it running and tuned, and see what happens with the smoke issue before tearing it apart.
I put some marvel mystery oil down the cylinder last night while I wait for the carbs to return. Maybe it will loosen up the rings if they are stuck. Also I was able to see the piston head on the spark plug that was white, and the piston was black with carbon. So no sign of a head gasket leak there as it would look like it was pressure washed I would assume.

Old August 1st, 2017, 02:37 PM   #11
DannoXYZ

A 50/50 mixture of acetone/ATF does a great job of dissolving carbon-buildup in the cylinders. I use 5cc poured down each plug hole. Let sit overnight, then crank engine without plugs for 5-10s to blow out excess.

Also use some Redline SI-1 fuel-system cleaner in gas. It's one of few that actually has PEA and actually works (Techron and some other GM product are others). After these two treatments, you'll find your piston tops are nice and silvery clean! And most likely your rings too.