ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Motorcycle Gear

Notices

Old May 9th, 2020, 09:45 AM   #1
MrAtom

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - July '15
Why are there so much fewer options for leather jackets? (No high-vis?)

I'm past due for a new jacket and all of the "high-vis" leather jackets I'm seeing are mostly black with yellow accents. They're advertised as a yellow jacket despite being 95% black.

Example: https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/...leather-jacket

There are some great options for textile, and I think textile has a place, but I really want leather.

Do people mostly wear textile? Has textile jacket technology made advances that I'm not aware of? Can I/should I paint/dye a jacket yellow? Is my desire for bright yellow not as important as I thought?
MrAtom is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 9th, 2020, 12:55 PM   #2
DannoXYZ
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
I wear whatever I want, then put hi-viz reflective vest over it. Some days I feel like wearing leather, some days it's textile.

https://www.harborfreight.com/reflec...rge-94701.html

My wife bought me one from IKEA for $15, but it appears to be exact same item. Been working fine for past 10-yrs (I replaced Velcro with buttons).
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old May 9th, 2020, 03:30 PM   #3
MrAtom

MOTM - July '15
That's my current solution for both my me-powered and gasoline-powered bikes, and it works fine. I just figured that as long as I'm buying new gear, dad-yellow would be the way to go.

Old May 10th, 2020, 01:22 PM   #4
JohnnyBravo
Certifiable nontundrum

Name: Harper

Motorcycle(s): 2013 SE NINJA 300

MOTM - Sep '13, Sep '16
I just bought a white leather race suit; it’s the brightest I could find... hope your search turns up something as pleasing as your elephant

Old May 10th, 2020, 03:56 PM   #5
snot
sammich maker

Name: snot

Motorcycle(s): 2013 white 300, 09 KLX 250 SF, 09 thunder blue 250(traded)

MOTM - Apr '15
I have a white jacket and a black and pink jacket. I also have a vest that is hi-vis that I can wear over the jackets.

Old May 11th, 2020, 05:47 AM   #6
MrAtom

MOTM - July '15
I bought this one:

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/...me-hero-jacket

Looks nice and Icon's "attack" fit agrees with my proportions. I just hope the Japanese text doesn't say "fartsmeller" or something.

Old May 15th, 2020, 11:41 AM   #7
CaliGrrl

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): Ninja650

MOTM - Apr '18, Apr '17, Apr '16
I'm going to need a new leather jacket, too. Looking for one with white on it.
CaliGrrl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 17th, 2020, 07:22 AM   #8
JohnnyBravo
Certifiable nontundrum

Name: Harper

Motorcycle(s): 2013 SE NINJA 300

MOTM - Sep '13, Sep '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAtom View Post
I bought this one:

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/...me-hero-jacket

Looks nice and Icon's "attack" fit agrees with my proportions. I just hope the Japanese text doesn't say "fartsmeller" or something.
It says one guy one cup

Old September 4th, 2021, 06:22 AM   #9
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

Name: Robert

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, 2021 CSC TT250, 1977 Triumph Bonneville 750cc,2001 Honda XR650L.

I Mostly ware textiles simply because their 1/4 the cost of leather, in years gone by I wore a black leather bomber jacket because it is what I had and the only thing that stopped the wind.... now days the textiles do just as good
I put on my HWK jacket today just to double check it... and it seamed a bit large for me with just a t-shirt under it, but that's about right for winter riding
Hi Vis is even hard to get in Textiles now days their back ordered at HWK , I asked.... so I bought a off white / grey one... they did have the High viz in the Kids size so I got him one. he's quite happy with it !
Pants are a joke ! you cannot find anything but black and then not for winter
i did finally get a pair but I'm not real impressed, their over pants , have armor and are supposed to be waterproof..... we'll see. ( I can't see how they can possibly keep my legs warm without 3 pare of long-johns under them....)
I got summer riding and winter riding gear already and my Ordered bike hasn't arrived yet ! LOL I spent over $250 for the helmet, gloves ( don't have winter gloves yet) 3 jackets and 2 pants and O'neal boots. so I have the protective gear, we'll see if I am smart enough to ware it when I need it ! LOL...
Putting around on the Ninja 250R I've had on the helmet gloves and summer jacket is all and my normal boots... winter is another story you need that wind protection or you WILL FREEZE ! been there and done that for too many years ! but summer time the mesh jacket and mesh pants are great.... I highly recommend them ... just over $100 for the mesh jacket and pants in the off white, they look good and have armor too.
Bob........

Last futzed with by Bob KellyIII; September 4th, 2021 at 06:28 AM. Reason: Additional information
Bob KellyIII is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 20th, 2021, 12:13 PM   #10
TonyLambert
ninjette.org member

Name: Tony

Motorcycle(s): As of now, None but had bmw 100rr 2016 and the Vulcan 650s

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliGrrl View Post
I'm going to need a new leather jacket, too. Looking for one with white on it.
If you are looking for a textile one then maybe I could suggest to you something, yesterday I got my Gray Ironborn Jacket which I had ordered from Vikings bags. They sent this to me after a week! The build quality is good, body armor included, jacket style is also not bad. The size is perfectly fitted and I'm happy with them. I Will share with you more about it after having riding experience with it
TonyLambert is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 20th, 2021, 04:09 PM   #11
CaliGrrl

I appreciate the suggestion! I do have a textile one that I like. It's black, white, and hi-viz yellow. If I were looking for a textile, there are lots of options.

Leather, however, seems to come almost exclusively in black. I need to visit the Dainese store in Long Beach and check out styles. They have accent colors.

Old October 20th, 2021, 04:22 PM   #12
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

MOTM - Oct '18, Aug '17, Aug '16
I just did a Google search for: hi-viz motorcycle "leather jacket"

There were some very non-black options. My Joe Rocket jacket has a lot of non-black, but it looks like they've gone to all or mostly black designs.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg jim_electro-man.jpg (133.5 KB, 4 views)
Triple Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 20th, 2021, 04:24 PM   #13
CaliGrrl

Nice! My local retailers don't carry much in leather, and less for women. I think they're trying to make me go mail-order (which I loathe).

Old October 20th, 2021, 04:30 PM   #14
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Quote:
Nice! My local retailers don't carry much in leather, and less for women. I think they're trying to make me go mail-order (which I loathe).
I live over an hour from any motorcycle gear retailer, so I got used to mail order years ago.

Old October 20th, 2021, 04:36 PM   #15
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

These guys seem to have some non-black choices for woment's leather jackets. Please research that site before sending money though, since I have no experience with them.

https://leatherjacketdesigns.com/wom...er-jacket.html
Attached Images
File Type: jpg womens_leather_jacket.jpg (17.0 KB, 0 views)

Old October 26th, 2021, 06:54 PM   #16
CaliGrrl

Thanks, I'll check that site out.

Old October 26th, 2021, 07:45 PM   #17
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Quote:
Thanks, I'll check that site out.
I haven't been able to find any sizing information to relate their M, L, XL to actual sizes. I guess I'd have to contact them and ask. They appear to be in Pakistan.

Old December 13th, 2021, 10:18 AM   #18
TonyLambert
ninjette.org member

Quote:
I'm past due for a new jacket and all of the "high-vis" leather jackets I'm seeing are mostly black with yellow accents. They're advertised as a yellow jacket despite being 95% black.

There are some great options for textile, and I think textile has a place, but I really want leather.

Do people mostly wear textile? Has textile jacket technology made advances that I'm not aware of? Can I/should I paint/dye a jacket yellow? Is my desire for bright yellow not as important as I thought?
There are so many local and other brands in the market that make good quality riding jackets. Not experienced them all but still, using two of the local brands and they are really good in their products especially in leather jackets (LeatherUp Viking Cycle).
For textile and mesh ones yeah both are good for in city riding style. You can also use them causally. For bright yellow don't have any idea about what exactly yellow tone you are talking about right now. Upload the shade example!

Old December 13th, 2021, 10:26 AM   #19
TonyLambert
ninjette.org member

Quote:

There are so many local and other brands in the market that make good quality riding jackets. Not experienced them all but still, using two of the local brands and they are really good in their products especially in leather jackets (LeatherUp Viking Cycle).
For textile and mesh ones yeah both are good for in city riding style. You can also use them causally. For bright yellow don't have any idea about what exactly yellow tone you are talking about right now. Upload the shade example!

Old December 13th, 2021, 12:19 PM   #20
DannoXYZ

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
Studies have shown that brightly-coloured helmets work for visibility as well. I'm looking at some neon skins for my dark helmets. Perhaps add some bright LEDs to them as well.
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote