ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old December 16th, 2009, 06:16 PM   #1
littledog
ninjette.org member

Name: Peter

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Special Edition Ninja 250 a good memory, 2011 Suzuki DL 650 the new ride

Question 2009 model oil drain plug crush washer

I just change the oil on my new babay *sigh* and what found under the oil drain plug doesn't look like any crush washer I have ever seen before. It appears to be a simple stamped out aluminum washer, possibly machined on one side.

So I reused it.
littledog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 16th, 2009, 07:57 PM   #2
JCCJMM_
ninjette.org member

Name: John-Michael

Motorcycle(s): 2007 EX250

Some people recommend changing them every oil change. I never have replaced one, not on any vehicle. Never had a problem either.
JCCJMM_ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 16th, 2009, 08:27 PM   #3
littledog
ninjette.org member

Name: Peter

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Special Edition Ninja 250 a good memory, 2011 Suzuki DL 650 the new ride

Thank you jccjmm

I'm sorry if I'm asking a dumb question here. When I read "crush washer" I expected a washer that is sort of like a tiny donut made of folded brass or copper that changes shape (gets thinner) when the bolt is tightened.

is the aluminum washer a crush washer, of a different type, meant to be replaced? I just don't see how it is altered in any way by tightening, unlike the donut thing I described.

Or is this washer a meant to be re used, a "not crush (able) washer"
littledog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 16th, 2009, 10:24 PM   #4
ninja250
You are sleeping

Name: Casey

Motorcycle(s): 2

The stock washer looks like bare aluminum in color and is crushable.
It's very light weight. Lighter than any I could find at the hardware store. I had to get these from the dealer.
Don't forget the O-ring for the oil filter.
ninja250 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 16th, 2009, 10:28 PM   #5
Cedilla
ninjette.org sage

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250 (sold)

I would not replace it unless it was leaking, or if it was damaged. If it was a true crush washer I would replace it, but thats not the case.

Old December 16th, 2009, 10:31 PM   #6
ninja250
You are sleeping

If it's a stock washer it needs to be replaced after 2-3 changes max. Or if you over torque it. It will gum up your threads and cost you more money in the long run. It's really easy to smash it.

Old December 16th, 2009, 10:37 PM   #7
Cedilla
ninjette.org sage

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250 (sold)

I seen what happens to crush washers when you don't replace them, but the washer that was on my drain plug did not look like a crush washer, it was not deformed at all.

Old December 17th, 2009, 04:57 AM   #8
rockNroll

Name: rock

Motorcycle(s): black

You should have no problems reusing it, I almost never replace these. I do like to reinstall them the way they come off, however (side that was against engine goes back against engine).

Old December 17th, 2009, 07:11 AM   #9
backinthesaddleagain
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Greg

Motorcycle(s): 2013 ZX6R 636

I think of a crush washer being more like the ones you would see on some spark plugs. I have always replaced mine, but would't worry about reusing it once or twice. Would just be sure to not "flip" it over. Cheap enough though.
backinthesaddleagain is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 19th, 2009, 04:41 PM   #10
headshrink

Name: Bob

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250r, '14 CBR500r

The torque on the drain plug is 14.5 ft-lbs, if I recall. That isn't a lot of crushing power. I used to replace mine every time out of habit, and as a carry-over from doing cars. However, after seeing that the washers where barely scratched, I started reusing them.
headshrink is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 19th, 2009, 04:45 PM   #11
ninja250
You are sleeping

I did go over 14.5ft,lbs the first time I changed the oil out on my bike because I forgot you use a torque wrench on these things and the washer will crush pretty easy. You'll see crush at about 20lbs I think.

It is what I would consider a crushable washer. It's the lightest density for it's size aluminum washer I've ever seen and it does crush and deform.

The washers were $0.38 ea to replace. I bought 10 of them for under $4 and I don't have to think about it again now that I have the torque wrench.

Sheesh I need to buy a 1/2" torque wrench and a 1/4" torque wrench now too.

Old January 9th, 2010, 07:05 PM   #12
Sailariel

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Honda NT-700-V, formerly, Green 2008 Ninja 250R

KC, If you check Nashbar.com, they have a great 1/4" Torque wrench for $60. Nashbar is a bicycle supply place. I have this wrench and it is really high quality---comes with the Allen sockets you need as well.
Sailariel is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 9th, 2010, 08:38 PM   #13
Snake

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 05 Blue Ninja 250

MOTY - 2017, MOTM - Jan '19, Oct '16, May '14
I have 18,000 and have never changed out my crush washer with no leaks so far. Although I think during my next oil change it would be a good idea to change it. Cheap insurance.
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 14th, 2010, 01:35 PM   #14
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
You won't find it in any hardware store. Some (not all) auto chain stores carry them, in the section where you'll also find replacement drain plugs. The size is M12.

I got a few at Advance Auto Parts (don't know if that's a regional or national chain).
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 14th, 2010, 02:57 PM   #15
rockNroll

Name: rock

Motorcycle(s): black

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninja250 View Post
Sheesh I need to buy a 1/2" torque wrench and a 1/4" torque wrench now too.

Get an inch/lb and a ft/lb... it's not the size of the drive that matters. Some fasteners will be torqued in ft/lbs (n/m) and some will be in in/lbs (cm/kgs). Three of my torque wrenches are 3/8" drive and one is 1/2" drive. I only pull out the 1/2" drive for things like head bolts.