ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old August 18th, 2022, 07:18 PM   #1
Patrizio
ninjette.org member

Name: Peter

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

Gas Tank

Hello again, (this is getting pretty annoying ). So came to the conclusion I bought a dud of a bike. It has given me nothing but headaches. Anyways, my gas tank is leaking from the top left bolt hole area. It is a fairly serious leak. I’m assuming a bolt got jammed in too far? It seems pretty impossible to find a new gas tank online so am wondering if anyone had any ideas to seal the tank? I’m assuming I’ll have to rip off the threaded spot to find the hole. Thanks
Patrizio is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 18th, 2022, 08:50 PM   #2
DannoXYZ
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
yeah, two different size bolts to hold fairing onto tank. Longer one goes on bottom where there's nothing behind. But shorter one is required for upper hole as there's only about 5mm of thread. Put longer bolt in there....

I've found with age of these bikes and numbers of previous owners, half of whom are below average, that most tanks have been punctured. Out of previous 8 pre-gens I've restored and sold off, about 3/4th had punctured tanks.

Don't even think about JB-Weld! That stuff has caused more crappy repairs on cars & motos than anything else. IT WILL NOT WORK BECAUSE THAT CRAP IS NOT PETROL PROOF!!!

I've found it's easiest to drain tank, let sit outside for a day, then rinse with soapy water gets it ready for welding. Then I braze some brass into puncture hole (positioned flat so hole is up & down). I give it a little extra heat and brass slides to bottom of hole. Let cool and hole is plugged with metal!!! Actual time spent is about 15-min. Most of that is sanding and cleaning to prep that hole!

Last futzed with by DannoXYZ; August 19th, 2022 at 10:57 AM.
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 19th, 2022, 07:24 AM   #3
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannoXYZ View Post
yeah, two different size bolts to hold fairing onto tank. Longer one goes on bottom where there's nothing behind. But shorter one is required for upper home as there's only about 5mm of thread. Put longer bolt in there....

I've found with age of these bikes and numbers of previous owners, half of whom are below average, that most tanks have been punctured. Out of previous 8 pre-gens I've restored and sold off, about 3/4th had punctured tanks.

Don't even think about JB-Weld! That stuff has caused more crappy repairs on cars & motos than anything else. IT WILL NOT WORK BECAUSE THAT CRAP IS NOT PETROL PROOF!!!

I've found it's easiest to drain tank, let sit outside for a day, then rinse with soapy water gets it ready for welding. Then I braze some brass into puncture hole (positioned flat so hole is up & down). I give it a little extra heat and brass slides to bottom of hole. Let cool and hole is plugged with metal!!! Actual time spent is about 15-min. Most of that is sanding and cleaning to prep that hole!
Yeah. In my experience its seems more than half EX250F tanks will leak from there when you fill up because a previous owner mixed up the bolts and punctured the tank. Perhaps Kawasaki should've only supplied the shorter ones for all fairing bolts. It seems some people just avoid filling the tank up that high.

What about JB TankWeld? It's gotta tolerate petrol since it's supposedly made for fuel tanks and such. I found some at the salvage store and bought it because I have a punctured EX250F tank in storage somewhere. Sure enough, I searched and this dude was using it to fix the exact same issue (language):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QfpTUxLGCjM

I always intended to restore mine by inserting a headless set screw with a shorter bolt in the same hole, maybe with something like JB TankWeld smooshed between them. Unless there is a gap between the threaded hole and the tank rupture, I expect it to work.

Does the brazing method leave you with no hole for mounting the fairing?
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 19th, 2022, 10:57 AM   #4
DannoXYZ
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
Sure let's try the TankWeld! Can't hurt.

Brazing puts the brass at bottom of threads. Leaving you with top 5mm threads to use. Have to add a little extra heat so it flows downwards. Just matter of technique.
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old August 22nd, 2022, 04:02 AM   #5
eltel
ninjette.org member

Name: Tev

Motorcycle(s): 2004 E250

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannoXYZ View Post

You need the "Marine Weld" product from JB, it is fuel resistant and will do a perfect job on the tank.

Get a cheap syringe and try any layer some inside the thread hole 6-8mm deep, let it dry hard. Then syringe some more in to a depth of around 5mm. Before it drys make sure you have depth for the screw and run it in to its normal depth to push the Marine Weld back. Then run marine weld around all four sides of the raised bracket sealing it completely. Run a wet finger around to make it neat and smooth.

Job done - I did the very same thing and punctured my tank a few days ago. JB Weld Marine Weld does a brilliant job.
eltel is offline   Reply With Quote

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old September 3rd, 2022, 02:55 PM   #6
DB7562
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Dave

Motorcycle(s): 2007 250R

I had the same issue, but the previous owner had used something to block the leak. I didn't see it until I removed the fairing. Ended up paying $570 for the repair...but no more fuel leak.
DB7562 is offline   Reply With Quote