ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old March 22nd, 2009, 06:08 PM   #1
ians_04_250
Ninja fan

Name: Ian

Motorcycle(s): 2004 Ninja 250, 2003 buell XB9R

trying to make a decision.

I spent the time to take off all the necessary panels to get the airbox out/in. I broke the airbox getting it out a week ago or so. I ordered a k&n thinking it would go directly on the carbs, but I didn't read well enough. I'm woundering if I should skip the new (used) airbox & k&n and go straight for the jet kit and k&n? Does the jet kit & k&n add that much power?
ians_04_250 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 23rd, 2009, 01:04 AM   #2
komohana
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): 05 GSX-R 600 2003 EX250: Woodcraft Bars, Levers, Mirrors, Shim'd Mixture, Synthetic, '08 Rear Shock

Quote:
Originally Posted by ians_04_250 View Post
I spent the time to take off all the necessary panels to get the airbox out/in. I broke the airbox getting it out a week ago or so. I ordered a k&n thinking it would go directly on the carbs, but I didn't read well enough. I'm woundering if I should skip the new (used) airbox & k&n and go straight for the jet kit and k&n? Does the jet kit & k&n add that much power?
ok..some question to help me here...
what was the reason for removing your airbox to begin with?
are you running stock pipes or aftermarket system? if so what type/kind?
have you incorporated any other mods that will affect your decision?
what are your mod plans for down the road?

if you've installed an exhaust system the rejet is more than likely a must.
personally speaking, and again, depending on what type exhaust you've got, if i had to choose between the old/new airbox and the 'pod' type of air filters, i'd go with the box/filter only cuz i've heard it's a futher-mucker to get the carbs setup right.
again, thats just my own thoughts.

let know and we'll go from there..

aloha

Remember when sex was safe
and motorcycles were dangerous?
komohana is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 23rd, 2009, 05:16 AM   #3
ians_04_250
Ninja fan

The reason was I bought the k&n filter to go on the carbs, but it turns out it goes in the airbox, (kindof stupid.) So I took out the airbox thinking this would replace it. As I took the airbox out, It broke, (I lost my patience.)

I have a new airbox coming, but I am wondering if it is worth the hassle to get it back in, instead of re-jetting, and getting the right k&n for the job.

I have a Muzzy exhaust (came on the bike,) and I believe it has a header on it.

Sorry bout the noob questions, it's my first bike.

Thanks,
Ian

Old March 23rd, 2009, 12:16 PM   #4
komohana

Motorcycle(s): 05 GSX-R 600 2003 EX250: Woodcraft Bars, Levers, Mirrors, Shim'd Mixture, Synthetic, '08 Rear Shock

hey ian...no pressure here for noob questions. its all good.

i looked up what muzzy has for your year motorcycle and they only had 4 types of full exhaust systems, no slip-on canisters for that year, so am concluding you've got a muzzy exhaust system. now you said it came with the bike. how did the bike perform? i mean, usually if you install an exhaust system it's recommended the carbs be rejetted. am wondering if this wasnt done already, thus the performance question. any sputtering, or hesitation in throttle response through the powerband? sorry for asking what may be obvious, just wanna make sure i'm on the same page with ya.

if the bike hasn't been jetted yet, i would suggest you do so, and install the new/old airbox with the K&n filter for that box. i have not had experience with the individual pod-type air filters, and like i said previously, i've only read how hard it is to configure carbs to run right with them installed.
i have ALSO read how difficult it is to remove/replace the stock airbox on these bikes. do you have a shop manual for your bike? may help whatever the direction you choose to go.

let know. am at work but have access to net so shall await your reply

aloha

Old March 23rd, 2009, 05:25 PM   #5
ians_04_250
Ninja fan

There in no hesitation or sputtering at all during powerband. I can get a hold of the previous owner and see if he re-jetted it already. I do have a shop manual for my bike, and I took the hard road to get the airbox out, but I guess I'll just try to get the new one put in the right way. Thanks a ton!

Ian

Old March 23rd, 2009, 05:36 PM   #6
komohana

Quote:
Originally Posted by ians_04_250 View Post
There in no hesitation or sputtering at all during powerband. I can get a hold of the previous owner and see if he re-jetted it already. I do have a shop manual for my bike, and I took the hard road to get the airbox out, but I guess I'll just try to get the new one put in the right way. Thanks a ton!

Ian
great! find out about the rejet. that the bike runs fine up the band like you've said means more than likely it's been done already. review the procedures for installing the airbox in your manual. if it gets frustrating stop what you're doing and take a time out. if you get stuck post here and we'll figure something out. either way let know how it goes ok? good luck!

Old March 24th, 2009, 06:59 AM   #7
ians_04_250
Ninja fan

cool, thanks. I'm still waiting on the airbox but i'll updat you later.
Thanks,

Ian