ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > Marketplace > Items Wanted

Old September 27th, 2011, 05:58 PM   #1
setasai
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Brian

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R Green

Clutch pivot bolt and nut

Does anybody have a newgen clutch pivot bolt and nut? I seem to have stripped it when messing with the clutch lever rattling issue. I barely put any force on it when tightening which makes me wonder if it was almost stripped from the dealer. I swear, they like to tighten everything ridiculously tight.

Bikebandit has it for $12 shipped to me in CA. Somehow I have a difficult time justifying 1 bolt and 1 nut for $12. If anybody can help me out with this, that'd be rad!
setasai is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 27th, 2011, 06:14 PM   #2
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

/moved to items wanted

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 27th, 2011, 06:21 PM   #3
Momaru

Name: Paul

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Candy Plasma Blue 250R

What you could potentially do is go to your local hardware store and get a bolt of the right length and size to match the nut at the bottom, then get a metal bearing or nylon spacer tube to fill in the extra width around the thick part of the bolt. Sorry I don't have the measurements for you, haven't had to take them before, but should be easy to take the stripped bolt and remaining nut in with ya to check for size/thread pitch match.

I wound up destroying mine, but had a handful of other small parts to order so I just went OEM. Not cheap, but it's nice to have the part that's meant to go there.

To help your clutch lever rattling, you can get a very thin nylon washer to put between the lever and housing. Provided it's thin enough, it'll stop the rattle and still not bind the lever.

I'm not sure it's them liking to over-tighten things (though that's certainly possible) but I know Kawasaki likes to use red loctite in certain places, some of which don't make a lot of sense. Also, I think there isn't enough threads on that bolt to tighten the clutch lever; the housing is too rigid to squeeze in with just the bolt. You either have to squeeze the housing a bit or shim it. If you squeeze (or shim) too much, the lever binds. Then you have to un-bend the housing a bit and you've just fatigued the metal twice. Plus any more adjustments. Shims are relatively easy to just remove and try another size. Just my

Old September 28th, 2011, 11:28 AM   #4
backinthesaddleagain

Name: Greg

Motorcycle(s): 2013 ZX6R 636

When I had my 250 I unbolted mine and the threaded part of the bolt stayed in the nut.
backinthesaddleagain is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 8th, 2011, 08:14 AM   #5
smiley424

same thing happenned to me when I changed out my levers. my local shop actually hooked me up with a new bolt and nut free of charge! it was used but it fits perfectly. never hurts to ask.