ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old September 2nd, 2008, 02:50 PM   #1
Doug
Husband of Nijette Owner

Name: Doug

Motorcycle(s): Lots of them

More Ninjette Shifting-long throw

It seems to me that the throw (how far you move your toe) from 1st to 2nd is really long on our 2006 Ninja 250. In fact I worry that its a safety issue for my wife who is still a newer rider (even though she's ridden dirt for 2 seasons).

Is this our bike or is it a long way on your bike too?
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 2nd, 2008, 05:21 PM   #2
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

I don't remember ours being that way. The throw is significantly more than all of the other shifts? (2-3, 3-4, etc.). Doesn't sound like the shifter lever is loose, or they'd all feel loose. I dunno... Is the shift rod adjusted so that the shifter itself is at a comfortable height compared to the peg? It's fully adjustable to bring the shifter up and down quite a bit, maybe moving it in one direction will help.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 3rd, 2008, 03:08 AM   #3
dw8
ninjette.org member

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): None

I've noticed mine to be a little longer on mine (2007). I feel it almost has to be. Because of neutral being between 1st and 2nd. And have never had a problem shifting it though.
dw8 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 3rd, 2008, 08:14 AM   #4
Doug
Husband of Nijette Owner

Typically, you are correct. The shifting throw between 1st and 2nd is longer than other gears for precisely the reason you mention, nuetral in the middle.

But, it shouldn't be so far as to have to move your whole foot on modern motorcycles.

I had a 69 Husqvarna dirt bike that had an extremely long throw like this, and it shifted on the right too. Man, that was hard to learn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dw8 View Post
I've noticed mine to be a little longer on mine (2007). I feel it almost has to be. Because of neutral being between 1st and 2nd. And have never had a problem shifting it though.

Old September 3rd, 2008, 08:34 AM   #5
247Blackout
*vroom vroom*

Name: Jnet

Motorcycle(s): 2002 Ninja 250

I've never noticed it, and I never had a problem with it. Was this something your wife mentioned to you? Or something you felt yourself when riding the bike?
247Blackout is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 3rd, 2008, 08:37 AM   #6
Doug
Husband of Nijette Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by 247Blackout View Post
I've never noticed it, and I never had a problem with it. Was this something your wife mentioned to you? Or something you felt yourself when riding the bike?
I noticed it on the test ride and when I rode it home.

My wife hasn't ridden it yet...she just had surgery last Tuesday and she doesn' have a license yet either. She's going to get her permit this morning (and sign up for the MSF)