ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old September 8th, 2008, 12:53 AM   #1
FlamingYellowInsanity
Too sexy for roadrash

Name: Travis

Motorcycle(s): 2004 Ninja 250, 2007 Lance GS-R 150 (racing modified scooter), 1980 Honda CB750K project

Chain

My owners manual says to oil the chain every 400miles. I have another bike that doesn't need the chain oiled even half that often. Why does the ninja chain need oiled so often? Does it really need oiled that often? And can I get an aftermarket chain that will need to be oiled LESS often? Like one of the cool gold ones or something.

Just asking questions and trying to provoke some discussion! Seems like not much's been going on for a few days.

Travis

Old September 8th, 2008, 08:55 AM   #2
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

I wouldn't sweat it terribly. Chain life / chain maintenance depends on a bunch of factors. One extreme would be someone who rides in wet and dirty/dusty conditions often, and absolutely never cleans or lubes their chain. On a powerful bike, the chain could be expected to be worn out in as soon as 4k to 5k miles. But on a bike with the power of our ninjette, that chain would probably still last 8k to 10k miles. The other extreme would be someone who never rides in the wet, never rides in dusty/dirty conditions, and cleans and lubes their chain at the end of every ride. I know people who are pretty much like that, and one of them in particular got over 50k miles on the stock chain on a GSX-R1000. It's possible that with the same care the chain on a ninjette could last the life of the bike.

Most of us are probably in between those two extremes. I think as long as you clean/lube it every 500 - 1000 miles, it will likely last quite a long time on our bikes. Modern o-ring chains are pretty durable. Personally, I clean/lube mine whenever the chain starts to look dry, which is probably somewhere in that 500-1000 mile range, unless it's been in wet conditions, and I might clean/lube it a bit earlier. I miss the centerstand that they left out of the 2008 version! I need to use a rear stand for chain maintenance now.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 8th, 2008, 10:21 AM   #3
JCCJMM_
ninjette.org member

Name: John-Michael

Motorcycle(s): 2007 EX250

If you think about it, the service manual cannot possibly factor in EVERY scenario when it comes to maintenance.

That is why a common sense approach is a good practice. I am with Alex on this one, I am cleaning/lubing mine about every 1,000. I rarely see rain or dirt on my daily ride. I actually just serviced mine less than a week ago, even though it could have gone longer.

Of course, servicing the chain every 400 miles will not hurt anything.
JCCJMM_ is offline   Reply With Quote