ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old February 19th, 2009, 01:49 PM   #1
djpharoah
\m/

Name: Mesh

Motorcycle(s): CBR600F3 Smokin Joes

Going back to Stock Pipes

That's it. I've had enough with these damn Two Bros Exhaust. I've figured out that they are the reason behind my headaches and my lack of enthusiasm towards riding. I can't rev past 5-6k otherwise it gets soo loud. And yes I wear 32dB rated ear plugs.

I am going back to stock pipes
djpharoah is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 19th, 2009, 04:23 PM   #2
camaroz1985
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Ryan

Motorcycle(s): 2008 WR250R, 2006 Ural Raven (Sold), 2009 Versys Green (Sold), 2008 Ninja 250R Green (Sold)

That's why I have never changed
camaroz1985 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 19th, 2009, 07:19 PM   #3
Sailariel

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Honda NT-700-V, formerly, Green 2008 Ninja 250R

I stayed stock as well. Am just not into noise.
Sailariel is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 19th, 2009, 07:23 PM   #4
djpharoah
\m/

Well for the guys who don't know - my chrome stock pipes were stolen from my bike at university (i know extremely weak). I could only afford to replace them with these and finding used set was kind of hard as I needed to get to and from school.

I wish I'd never gotten these pipes - oi vey

Old February 19th, 2009, 07:25 PM   #5
kkim

so, have you found a set of stock pipes?
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 19th, 2009, 07:36 PM   #6
djpharoah
\m/

Hi KK - yeah I found someone willing to do a trade. The pipes are black however which I think will look better on my bike compared to the chrome ones. Btw - do I just ened to remove the clamp that connects the rear pipe+muffler to the header and the one screw/bolt that connects to the rear passenger peg?

Old February 19th, 2009, 07:45 PM   #7
kkim

so you guys are just switching out the mufflers and not the head pipes?

I would imagine it's just the clamps and the footpeg bracket bolts. Sorry, I don't know enough about the pregens to be certain.
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 19th, 2009, 07:50 PM   #8
djpharoah
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkim View Post
so you guys are just switching out the mufflers and not the head pipes?

I would imagine it's just the clamps and the footpeg bracket bolts. Sorry, I don't know enough about the pregens to be certain.
Yeah head pipes will stay on the respective bikes. Just switching mufflers. I never got the entire Two bros system as the headpipes were bought locally from a dealership.

Old February 20th, 2009, 07:08 AM   #9
Snake

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 05 Blue Ninja 250

MOTY - 2017, MOTM - Jan '19, Oct '16, May '14
Area P Loud?

I am considering changing over to a full exhaust system from Area P when it comes out in late March. I like a louder deep mellow tone. Does anyone know if Area P is "extremely" loud?
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 20th, 2009, 08:11 AM   #10
camaroz1985

Name: Ryan

Motorcycle(s): 2008 WR250R, 2006 Ural Raven (Sold), 2009 Versys Green (Sold), 2008 Ninja 250R Green (Sold)

The ones for the new generation are supposed to be. I have only heard the Two Bros in person, and that was very loud. The Area P is supposed to be louder if I remember correctly. They do offer a quiet core version for the 08+, so maybe they will do the same for the older bikes.

Mesh, I do remember hearing your story. I was wondering at the time if it would have been wiser to stick with some used stock pipes, but I thought you knew what you were getting yourself into
camaroz1985 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 20th, 2009, 08:12 AM   #11
CRXTrek
FORMER MOTORCYCLE RIDER

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): Rode an 08 250r then rode an 08 ZX-6R until i totaled it on 7/10/10

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcuriel View Post
I am considering changing over to a full exhaust system from Area P when it comes out in late March. I like a louder deep mellow tone. Does anyone know if Area P is "extremely" loud?
Get the Quiet Core muffler from Area P and you will be happy. It sounds great and on the highway the wind noise is actually louder . I'm very happy with mine.
CRXTrek is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 20th, 2009, 08:45 AM   #12
djpharoah
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaroz1985 View Post
Mesh, I do remember hearing your story. I was wondering at the time if it would have been wiser to stick with some used stock pipes, but I thought you knew what you were getting yourself into
I wish I knew man - it was a decision that had to be made as I needed the bike back for school+work. Two Bros is like a mile away from my Kawi dealer and thus I could get the pipes almost instantly.

Old February 22nd, 2009, 09:33 PM   #13
djpharoah
\m/

Well I swapped the pipes - couldn't be happier. Very pleasant to ride about now. Still gonna rock the ear plugs but now I can't hear the bike when I do. Bike is also accelerating a lot better and has a lot more midrange back.

Old March 9th, 2009, 03:30 AM   #14
Verus Cidere

Name: Michael

Motorcycle(s): '91 Honda CBR600 F2

Aren't there silencers and stuff you can get so it's not so loud? And for those of us who are sceptical of both the youtube videos that can't possibly have the right volume, and the people who all say that it's too loud, do you have something to relate it to that's common? Like, say is it straight-piped harley loud? Small, purring kitten loud? F-1 car loud? Washing machine loud? Compared to the usual sport bike exhaust mods?
Verus Cidere is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 9th, 2009, 11:18 AM   #15
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

Name: Mark

Motorcycle(s): 2022 Honda Navi, 2018 Z-125 Pro

I run the yoshimura pipes on mine. I get some nice grunt out of it, but with my cleap ear plugs, I itsn't over the top. In some cases the wind still overpowers the exhaust sound.

I love the yoshi kit.

2022 Honda Navi && 2018 Z-125 Pro
Apex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 9th, 2009, 07:57 PM   #16
jonb08
ninjette.org member

Name: Jon

Motorcycle(s): 2007 EX250

Some people just can't take the noise. I actually have people who prefer not to ride with me b/c of the Two Brothers. All of those people have 600s and some of them don't have the riding ability to stay in front of me which is somewhat annoying. Those are the one who'd rather not ride with me.
jonb08 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 9th, 2009, 10:07 PM   #17
Verus Cidere

So Jon, how loud would you say the two bros set is? Harley? Annoying, rice-burning, crappy-exhaust sporting civic? Something you can hear a few miles away or several? I'm trying to get an idea 'cause I really wanna get a set. I'm considering getting the silencers for it too, but I don't know much about them. Can you get them for that model?

Old March 10th, 2009, 08:55 AM   #18
djpharoah
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verus Cidere View Post
So Jon, how loud would you say the two bros set is? Harley? Annoying, rice-burning, crappy-exhaust sporting civic? Something you can hear a few miles away or several? I'm trying to get an idea 'cause I really wanna get a set. I'm considering getting the silencers for it too, but I don't know much about them. Can you get them for that model?
I'd say they were not Harley loud but definitely close to a Harley at idle. Then it just got exponentially worse to the point of being an obnoxious two stroking sound.

You can definitely wake up the neighbors like I have at 6am with them. As for the silencers don't waste your time/$. They are small little tips that claim to reduce the output level by 2-3dB which honestly isn't even noticable compared to stock.

The Two Bros M6 (ninja250 pipes) are actually pipes meant for off road two stroke dirt bikes so they have zero noise baffling or insulation. It is pretty much a straight pipe with like 15% increase in diameter.

Looks nice but dunno for me I got pulled over 3 times by cops cuz as you ride you are just way too loud (again for me). I never took my ninja past 5k with them cuz even with ear plugs it was just hella loud.

Stock pipes have given my ninja life again. There was a time when I didn't want to ride the ninja cuz of the pipes and the headaches they would give me.

Old March 10th, 2009, 09:12 AM   #19
zeroth
weekend rider

Name: JC

Motorcycle(s): '05 Ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRXTrek View Post
Get the Quiet Core muffler from Area P and you will be happy. It sounds great and on the highway the wind noise is actually louder . I'm very happy with mine.
Steve, is the Quiet Core muffler from Area P (nearly) as quiet as stock? I've been thinking of changing, not for the noise (I like it quiet), but for the weight and backpressure. If the Quiet Core is nearly as quiet, but lighter and with less backpressure, then I would consider it. Thoughts, or other suggestions?
zeroth is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 10th, 2009, 10:37 AM   #20
CRXTrek
FORMER MOTORCYCLE RIDER

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): Rode an 08 250r then rode an 08 ZX-6R until i totaled it on 7/10/10

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeroth View Post
Steve, is the Quiet Core muffler from Area P (nearly) as quiet as stock? I've been thinking of changing, not for the noise (I like it quiet), but for the weight and backpressure. If the Quiet Core is nearly as quiet, but lighter and with less backpressure, then I would consider it. Thoughts, or other suggestions?
No , It's louder than stock. But it's not to loud. Only a stock type exhaust with baffles that resemble a maze will be stock type quiet. All the aftermarket mufflers that i've seen are straight through screen tube baffle types. Where the longer the muffler the quieter it will be.
CRXTrek is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 10th, 2009, 07:54 PM   #21
jonb08
ninjette.org member

Quote:
When I bought the bike from the dealer it had the slip-ons. I told them specifically that I won't buy the bike if it sounded like a riced out Civic and it does not. It is very loud. IMO, it is much better than stock. I like the fact that people can hear me coming and in some cases they just get out of my way all together. It often turns heads. Here is a sample from YouTube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVEUSctsDIk

Last futzed with by jonb08; March 10th, 2009 at 07:58 PM. Reason: How the heck do you embed a youtube video?

Old March 10th, 2009, 11:11 PM   #22
Verus Cidere

I like the way it sounds, but I'm still not completely sure. I've heard the same type of samples for the Yoshis and I really don't like the way those sound. My only beef with the youtube stuff is it's still really hard to tell exactly how loud it is. I have upsides and downsided for it. If it is as loud as Jon's saying it is, I'd prefer not to have tickets. But I like the look, the sound, and the possibility of not only being much more noticeable (which is always a plus, especially in my city where nobody knows how to drive at all) and a bit more able to get out of the way is a definite upside. Another thing is, I like to listen to music while I ride and usually play it just loud enough that I can barely hear it over wind noise going around 80 mph on the highway. When going around that speed, how loud is the exhaust compared to wind noise? If it's not too bad, I can deal with it if I have the music. Still not sure though..... Area P hurry up already and give me another stinkin' choice!

Old March 11th, 2009, 06:24 AM   #23
jonb08
ninjette.org member

Quote:
I like the way it sounds, but I'm still not completely sure. I've heard the same type of samples for the Yoshis and I really don't like the way those sound. My only beef with the youtube stuff is it's still really hard to tell exactly how loud it is. I have upsides and downsided for it. If it is as loud as Jon's saying it is, I'd prefer not to have tickets. But I like the look, the sound, and the possibility of not only being much more noticeable (which is always a plus, especially in my city where nobody knows how to drive at all) and a bit more able to get out of the way is a definite upside. Another thing is, I like to listen to music while I ride and usually play it just loud enough that I can barely hear it over wind noise going around 80 mph on the highway. When going around that speed, how loud is the exhaust compared to wind noise? If it's not too bad, I can deal with it if I have the music. Still not sure though..... Area P hurry up already and give me another stinkin' choice!
Too bad it's been so cold. I'm having trouble remembering what the exhaust noise was in comparison to wind on the highway. One thing that should be considered is the quality of the helmet. Some helmets are known for high levels of wind noise while others do a good job reducing it. Helmets also block out other noise as well.

Old March 11th, 2009, 07:15 AM   #24
mcteague
ninjette.org member

Name: Tim

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Yamaha FZ6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonb08 View Post
When I bought the bike from the dealer it had the slip-ons. I told them specifically that I won't buy the bike if it sounded like a riced out Civic and it does not. It is very loud. IMO, it is much better than stock. I like the fact that people can hear me coming and in some cases they just get out of my way all together. It often turns heads. Here is a sample from YouTube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVEUSctsDIk
I can just about guarantee you that the heads turning contain homicidal thoughts directed at you and your disturbance of the peace.

Tim

Last futzed with by mcteague; March 11th, 2009 at 02:41 PM.
mcteague is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 11th, 2009, 05:34 PM   #25
Sailariel

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Honda NT-700-V, formerly, Green 2008 Ninja 250R

I think that the engineers at Kawasaki spent considerable time coming up with a muffler that would be quiet and still produce optimum performance. I do not feel qualified to question their judgment, nor do I intend to spend copious amounts of cash to compensate for non OEM parts such as rejetting, changing the air intake, etc. I ride for relaxation and am not particularly into noise. I remember owning an AC Cobra in the 60`and getting a screaming headache after driving that beast for a half an hour. I traded it in on a corvette, and never regretted that decision. The stock Ninja has a pleasant, unpretentious sound. True, it may sound dimiuative, but when that clutch is let out, there are no doubts,
Sailariel is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 11th, 2009, 08:54 PM   #26
jonb08
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailariel View Post
I think that the engineers at Kawasaki spent considerable time coming up with a muffler that would be quiet and still produce optimum performance. I do not feel qualified to question their judgment, nor do I intend to spend copious amounts of cash to compensate for non OEM parts such as rejetting, changing the air intake, etc. I ride for relaxation and am not particularly into noise. I remember owning an AC Cobra in the 60`and getting a screaming headache after driving that beast for a half an hour. I traded it in on a corvette, and never regretted that decision. The stock Ninja has a pleasant, unpretentious sound. True, it may sound dimiuative, but when that clutch is let out, there are no doubts,
That's a very humble opinion. However, it is important to realize that Kawasaki's designs are based on getting the most performance out of each part while staying within EPA regulations on emissions and noise pollution. Aftermarket companies do not follow EPA regulations because they do not legally have to. Allot of aftermarket performance parts will not meet EPA or TSB standards and are therefore advertised as "For Off Road Use Only."

Old March 12th, 2009, 08:43 PM   #27
hogfan83
ninjette.org member

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R

I know the feeling of an exhaust that is too loud. Mine was unbelievably loud with the baffle in the "more closed" position. now with it open its still loud but im thinkin about going back to stock pipes as well

Old March 15th, 2009, 10:32 AM   #28
GreezMunky
ninjette.org guru

Name: Tor

Motorcycle(s): 09 250r (*sold*), 2010 Daytona 675

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailariel View Post
The stock Ninja has a pleasant, unpretentious sound. True, it may sound dimiuative, but when that clutch is let out, there are no doubts,
Before I had to replace my exhaust, I received several comments on how quiet the bike was when just cruising down the street. They were all said in a good way too. Now I have the Yoshi and it is considerably louder. I went riding with several over 600-1000cc riders and they all commented on how much louder it was. The kid on the GSXR 1000 even said it made his bike look bad because how much meaner my exhaust sounded compared to his. lol

Do I miss the stock pipe? Sometimes. I have to have my headset set to one notch higher than I did before to hear it while riding. But I'm also a strong believer that "loud pipes save lives". I know, I know not everyone agrees with this, but I have this opinion because of personal experience.

The one and only time I have ever been in a near accident with my truck and a biker was when I was pulling out onto a busy street. I was blind on my right side because of a line of cars blocking my view, but for the most part I could see over them and see the tops of other vehicles. Just as I was about to haul ass onto the street and take my left turn, I heard the exhaust of some cruiser and slammed on my brakes in the middle of the first 2 lanes I had already crossed into. And sure enough, from around the corner from my left there goes a smaller cruiser (I wish I could remember the make/model) and an older guy with barely any gear and no helmet on. My truck vs biker = not pretty

The only reason I stopped was because I heard the bikes pipes and stopped, I had no other idea that a bike was coming because of the cars blinding my view.

I'm hoping my new exhaust will also help others around me see/hear me sooner than later when things get bad and they decide to rear end me again.

Phew, okay, I'm off my soapbox.
GreezMunky is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 15th, 2009, 04:11 PM   #29
jonb08
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcteague View Post
I can just about guarantee you that the heads turning contain homicidal thoughts directed at you and your disturbance of the peace.

Tim
Perhaps you are right Tim, but I'll take homicidal thoughts over vehicular manslaughter any day.

Old March 16th, 2009, 02:32 AM   #30
mcteague
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Perhaps you are right Tim, but I'll take homicidal thoughts over vehicular manslaughter any day.
Who says you get to choose?

Tim

Old March 16th, 2009, 04:27 AM   #31
jonb08
ninjette.org member

Ugh.... Not going to go back and forth on this one. Some people just see things differently... Hope your view is never forced to change on this one.

Old March 16th, 2009, 02:44 PM   #32
mcteague
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Ugh.... Not going to go back and forth on this one. Some people just see things differently... Hope your view is never forced to change on this one.
Isn't that what forums are for? I'm all for different points of view but those who choose loud pipes are forcibly inflicting their POV on others. Actually, most aftermarket pipes are really against the law already. They violate emission and noise laws; even though they are seldom enforced. Motorcyclists rarely get much respect on the road due to the percentage that rides fast, loud and recklessly.

Tim

Old March 17th, 2009, 05:16 AM   #33
jonb08
ninjette.org member

This is why I did not want to debate:

Agreed thats what forums are for, but I've debated the subject before and there is never a change in view. It comes down to the fact that I don't care that I am forcibly inflicting my POV on others and you do. Until lawmakers represent us by raising motorcycle awareness through signage and developing a fair system to re-examine the elderly for driving privileges, the pipes shall be loud as a symbol of my own awareness program.

Too many riders have died due to the incompetence and ignorance of drivers, especially in my state. To give you an idea of the incompetence, I currently pay $1,536 (lowest through all companies) for just liability on an 03 Hyundai Elantra. I have a clean driving record with continuous insurance and great credit. Being 24 years old does not help, but it is not just my age bracket that sees high insurance rates. New York drivers have consistently proven that their one objective is themselves and they do not care who they run over in addition to their lack of concentration on the road. This makes my rates go up!

In addition to drivers lack of skills, population is a huge issue. There are just too many cars and people! Half my town is in Nassau County in which the population density is 4,650 per square mile and over 1,300,000 people. Half my town is in Queens County which has a population density of more than 9,999.9 (broke the census calculator!) and more than 2,100,000 people.

What county do you live in?

Oh and by the way... Are these the type of reckless riders you were talking about? http://getoffourisland.com/population_density.html
I happened to find this site when researching population.

Old March 19th, 2009, 02:38 PM   #34
kayfouroh
ninjette.org member

Name: Frank

Motorcycle(s): 2001 EX250-F

Quote:
Half my town is in Nassau County in which the population density is 4,650 per square mile and over 1,300,000 people. Half my town is in Queens County
Which town?

EDIT: Oh right, NHP.

I didn't think it was that close to the Queens border..
kayfouroh is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 19th, 2009, 09:58 PM   #35
jonb08
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayfouroh View Post
Which town?

EDIT: Oh right, NHP.

I didn't think it was that close to the Queens border..
Yep. I'm 6 blocks from the border which means that they can hear my exhaust in Queens

Old March 20th, 2009, 06:13 AM   #36
kayfouroh
ninjette.org member

Name: Frank

Motorcycle(s): 2001 EX250-F

Quote:
Yep. I'm 6 blocks from the border which means that they can hear my exhaust in Queens
Ahh, like I said on Kawiforums, I grew up in Williston Park, so I was right near you.. still didn't realize how close NHP was to Queens
kayfouroh is offline   Reply With Quote