ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Motorcycle Gear

View Poll Results: Do you wear earplugs when you ride?
On every ride 89 32.84%
On most rides 57 21.03%
Only on long trips 43 15.87%
Never 65 23.99%
What? 17 6.27%
Voters: 271. You may not vote on this poll

Old December 3rd, 2008, 11:37 AM   #1
kkim

Do You Use Earplugs When You Ride?

If so, why? If not, why not?

kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 3rd, 2008, 12:18 PM   #2
Sailariel
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Honda NT-700-V, formerly, Green 2008 Ninja 250R

I don`t use them because the bike is very quiet and because my full face helmet (HJC) fits so well that any wind noise is negligable--I also have a high frequency hearing loss from things that went Boom while I was in Nam, that I probably would not be bothered by wind noise.
Sailariel is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 3rd, 2008, 12:56 PM   #3
workdaddy
WORKDADDY

Name: Dave

Motorcycle(s): 2008 ninja 2fitty

I don't... The noise relly does not bother me. But when I ride I am one of those who uses helmet speakers for my MP3 player
workdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 3rd, 2008, 01:06 PM   #4
camaroz1985

Name: Ryan

Motorcycle(s): 2008 WR250R, 2006 Ural Raven (Sold), 2009 Versys Green (Sold), 2008 Ninja 250R Green (Sold)

I don't use ear plugs but do use ear bud headphones that fit tightly in my ears when I go on long trips. They pretty much act as ear plugs. I can listen to my ipod on the lowest volume setting and still hear it fine, as well as passing traffic.

I don't use anything when I am just riding around, but if it is longer than an hour or two (especially on the highway) I use the ipod and ear buds (Skullcandy). I also have the iJet remote for my ipod so I can put it in a tank bag, or my pocket, and control it with the remote on my handlebars.

That said, I can't do any of this anymore since my ipod was stolen from my garage
camaroz1985 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 3rd, 2008, 01:19 PM   #5
workdaddy
WORKDADDY

Name: Dave

Motorcycle(s): 2008 ninja 2fitty

Hey Ryan:
Did you try others before getting the Skull Candy brand? I have tried like 2~3 and they all seem to hurt my earhole... These seem alittle smaller and softer almost siliconish? If so I am sure they are better, my ear mic for work is way comfy... have been looking for ones like that (silicon)
workdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 3rd, 2008, 01:32 PM   #6
camaroz1985

Name: Ryan

Motorcycle(s): 2008 WR250R, 2006 Ural Raven (Sold), 2009 Versys Green (Sold), 2008 Ninja 250R Green (Sold)

Dave,

I have only used the skullcandy and the standard ipod earbuds. The skullcandy are way more comfortable, and stay in place better. I have no problem wearing them for 4 hours. They come with 3 sizes of tips so you can find the ones that fit your ears the best.
camaroz1985 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 3rd, 2008, 01:54 PM   #7
OldGuy
Live Life

Name: Don

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Green SE Ninja 250

Don't wear them and had never really thought about it. Like Alex my full face HJC fits such that I really don't have any wind noise and the stock cans on my little 250 aren't that noisy (yet).

Old December 3rd, 2008, 02:40 PM   #8
Kurosaki
Akai Suisei - 赤い彗星

Name: Joseph

Motorcycle(s): 08 Kurosaki 250, 09 Honda 600RawrRawr

I ride with my ipod. It's loud enough to hear but I can still hear my bike and the same things I can hear without the earphones in.

I think riding with music being a good idea or not depends on who you are. Some people get "pumped up" or whatever with their music on which can create careless riding habits and a big distraction for them... I'm not so much that way. I'll wear them while riding the mountain too. I notice that when I do this though and I turn the wick up a bit, I don't even hear the music anymore. Then when I back off a bit, I'm like... oh yeah I have my ipod on. Almost forgot.
Kurosaki is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 3rd, 2008, 06:17 PM   #9
Bone_Head311
ninjette.org member

Name: John

Motorcycle(s): 09 250 ninja

I don't use earplugs when i ride. I might want to look into it for a long ride, with the new exhaust. Unsilenced full yoshi.

Old December 3rd, 2008, 06:36 PM   #10
kkim

Riding without some sort of ear protection can ruin your hearing. It's not the exhaust which kills it, it's the high frequency of wind noise passing the helmet that usually does the most damage.

I used to work part time in a radar shop with high pitched exhaust fans on the cabinets. Every one of the full time techs there had hearing loss. Back in those days, it wasn't a common thing to wear earplugs. Today, most of those techs have a hard time hearing.

You can test your hearing using this as a rough guide to see how bad your high frequency ear response curve has been damaged to date. Lol... I won't tell you what I can' t hear.

If you are younger and value your hearing, consider using earplugs... it gonna be nice to be able to enjoy music when you get older.

http://www.freemosquitoringtones.org/

Old December 3rd, 2008, 08:35 PM   #11
noche_caliente

Name: Kim

Motorcycle(s): '08 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkim View Post
Riding without some sort of ear protection can ruin your hearing. It's not the exhaust which kills it, it's the high frequency of wind noise passing the helmet that usually does the most damage.

I used to work part time in a radar shop with high pitched exhaust fans on the cabinets. Every one of the full time techs there had hearing loss. Back in those days, it wasn't a common thing to wear earplugs. Today, most of those techs have a hard time hearing.

You can test your hearing using this as a rough guide to see how bad your high frequency ear response curve has been damaged to date. Lol... I won't tell you what I can' t hear.

If you are younger and value your hearing, consider using earplugs... it gonna be nice to be able to enjoy music when you get older.

http://www.freemosquitoringtones.org/
I can hear all of them!!!
I guess that's part of the reason that I can overhear all sorts of conversations certain young folks don't want me to hear...
noche_caliente is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 3rd, 2008, 08:40 PM   #12
kkim

Quote:
Originally Posted by noche_caliente View Post
I can hear all of them!!!
I guess that's part of the reason that I can overhear all sorts of conversations certain young folks don't want me to hear...
you've got to be kidding!!

it doesn't count if you to put the volume up to 20 and and stick your ear right next to the speaker!

Old December 3rd, 2008, 08:40 PM   #13
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE, '15 CRF110F, '13 TT-R50E

Glad you posted the "old fart" message Kelly, because if you hadn't I would have.

The exhaust noise has nothing to do with this. Unless you're riding a big twin with open headers, or perhaps a MotoGP bike, the exhaust noise when you're at highway speed isn't going to be particularly damaging. The wind noise absolutely will. There isn't a helmet out there that is quiet enough to prevent hearing damage after a decent distance on the highway.

I use earplugs on every ride other than a trip down the street to fillup the bike at the gas station. Once you start riding with them, you'll kick yourself for not starting earlier. It makes riding that much calmer; the windnoise causes a bunch of stress that you don't notice until it's gone. It's less tiring. And it's orders of magnitude safer for your long-term hearing. Even for those who listen to music while riding, I've found that the best fidelity is with helmet speakers + earplugs. Blocks out the windnoise. If you just use earbuds, in most cases you have to turn the volume up to max for it to be usable on the highway. So you're blasting wind noise and music noise into your noggin.

http://earplugstore.stores.yahoo.net/foearplinlaq.html

We've always got a box of 200 pairs of E-A-R Classic yellow foamies in the garage, and we order a new one whenever it's looking a little low. $24.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 3rd, 2008, 08:46 PM   #14
kkim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
Glad you posted the "old fart" message Kelly, because if you hadn't I would have.

The exhaust noise has nothing to do with this. Unless you're riding a big twin with open headers, or perhaps a MotoGP bike, the exhaust noise when you're at highway speed isn't going to be particularly damaging. The wind noise absolutely will. There isn't a helmet out there that is quiet enough to prevent hearing damage after a decent distance on the highway.

I use earplugs on every ride other than a trip down the street to fillup the bike at the gas station. Once you start riding with them, you'll kick yourself for not starting earlier. It makes riding that much calmer; the windnoise causes a bunch of stress that you don't notice until it's gone. It's less tiring. And it's orders of magnitude safer for your long-term hearing. Even for those who listen to music while riding, I've found that the best fidelity is with helmet speakers + earplugs. Blocks out the windnoise. If you just use earbuds, in most cases you have to turn the volume up to max for it to be usable on the highway. So you're blasting wind noise and music noise into your noggin.

http://earplugstore.stores.yahoo.net/foearplinlaq.html

We've always got a box of 200 pairs of E-A-R Classic yellow foamies in the garage, and we order a new one whenever it's looking a little low. $24.
uhhh... what did you say??? speak up, sonny!!

Old December 3rd, 2008, 09:15 PM   #15
toku
ninjette.org member

Name: Yuri

Motorcycle(s): 08 Ninja 250

Usually I don't wear anything under my helmet; speeds never get that fast on the twisty roads that I've found wind to be a serious problem. The only time I spend considerable time on the highway is riding between school and home. In that case I'll wear earbuds which are noise canceling.

I generally hate putting stuff in my ears so that's a huge reason I don't wear plugs. Also wearing earbuds for prolonged periods of time really irritates my ears unless I get them just right, with a helmet on that can be an ordeal in itself. But I think I don't really want to wear plugs becasue of my experiences with earbuds, I just have a feeling they'll be uncomfortable.

Old December 3rd, 2008, 09:33 PM   #16
noche_caliente

Name: Kim

Motorcycle(s): '08 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkim View Post
you've got to be kidding!!

it doesn't count if you to put the volume up to 20 and and stick your ear right next to the speaker!
Nope - no cheating involved - I've been tested with the ringtone and passed, and I didn't even know I was being tested....

Sucks being old, huh?
noche_caliente is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 3rd, 2008, 09:49 PM   #17
kkim

Quote:
Originally Posted by noche_caliente View Post
Sucks being old, huh?
lol... don't worry, you'll find out.

Old December 3rd, 2008, 09:56 PM   #18
ScraitT
Green!

Name: Tyler

Motorcycle(s): 08 Ninja 250R, 04 Honda CRF230F, 94 Honda XR80R

Well crap...I guess I'm screwed

I can barely hear the 30+ one and I'm only 22 Soon as it hits the 24 and younger tons I can't hear a thing unless I turn my speakers up all the way, and even then I can only get an extra 1-2 tones.

Old December 3rd, 2008, 10:05 PM   #19
kkim

The whole point of this thread was to save you younger riders potential hearing loss that can creep up on you without you ever knowing it.

have you ever taken your helmet off after a long, high speed ride and noticed your ears ringing? If so, that's not good. repeated, prolonged exposure to high volume noise can slowly kill the tiny nerves in your ears.

I never used plugs in all my years of riding and now I wish I had. Now that I do use them, like Alex said, the ride is so much more enjoyable. If I can learn new things at my age, what's your excuse??

Protect your hearing. Riding w/o earplugs will cause hearing loss in the long run.

Old December 3rd, 2008, 10:14 PM   #20
ScraitT
Green!

99% of my rides are only about 3 miles long unfortunately.

The hearing loss I have so far though I have no clue why. I know it's not the bike, because there's no way I have ridden enough to cause hearing damage (just passed the 600 mile mark...and the bikes getting close to the 1 year mark god I need to ride more!).

But I'll definitely give earplugs a thought...especially with how bad off I am already

Old December 3rd, 2008, 10:17 PM   #21
kkim

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScraitT View Post
99% of my rides are only about 3 miles long unfortunately.

The hearing loss I have so far though I have no clue why. I know it's not the bike, because there's no way I have ridden enough to cause hearing damage (just passed the 600 mile mark...and the bikes getting close to the 1 year mark god I need to ride more!).

But I'll definitely give earplugs a thought...especially with how bad off I am already
lol... play in a band as a youngster?

Old December 4th, 2008, 12:43 AM   #22
Felix
ninjette.org member

Name: Felix

Motorcycle(s): 08 ZX6R

Yep certainly do where plugs... have to. Doesnt matter if its 1km or 100km, slow speed or high speed. My bike doesnt drop below 8k rpm and heads to redline most gear changes, I ride it very hard, and the AreaP 12inch is as good as an open header, its SOOO loud, even with full face Shoei helmet, I get free plugs at work, so I make use of them.

Felix
Felix is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 4th, 2008, 11:37 PM   #23
FlamingYellowInsanity
Too sexy for roadrash

Name: Travis

Motorcycle(s): 2004 Ninja 250, 2007 Lance GS-R 150 (racing modified scooter), 1980 Honda CB750K project

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix View Post
...and the AreaP 12inch is as good as an open header, its SOOO loud, even with full face Shoei helmet
Is there something like this for the gen1 ninjette? Mine's an 04 and I was wanting some really REALLY loud pipes, like F1 loud, so I can wind up and annoy people when they are tailgaiting me, and to look cool at bikenight, lol!

Ok, back on topic now. I don't wear earplugs but every once in a while. I think I will start wearing my noise canceling earbuds though after reading this thread. I believe that wearing headphones is technically illegal in CA, but I've never even heard of someone getting called on it.

Travis

Old December 4th, 2008, 11:43 PM   #24
kkim

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamingYellowInsanity View Post
Is there something like this for the gen1 ninjette? Mine's an 04 and I was wanting some really REALLY loud pipes, like F1 loud, so I can wind up and annoy people when they are tailgaiting me, and to look cool at bikenight, lol!

Travis
are you serious?

Old December 5th, 2008, 12:02 AM   #25
ninjabrewer
dirty old man

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): Blue '08 Ninja 250

yep

I usually wear them, on some short trips I don't, but for the most part, I do. I have gotten use to wearing earplugs years ago. Helicopters that are turning blades and have 2 screaming turbo shaft engines have a tendency to kill your hearing with a quickness. Over the past 20 years I have had 11 hearing tests, and my hearing isn't too bad considering the job I did.

Gotta agree with the above, wind noise above about 45 or so, for me anyway, is a real distraction.

NB
ninjabrewer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 5th, 2008, 12:05 AM   #26
kkim

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjabrewer View Post
I usually wear them, on some short trips I don't, but for the most part, I do. I have gotten use to wearing earplugs years ago. Helicopters that are turning blades and have 2 screaming turbo shaft engines have a tendency to kill your hearing with a quickness. Over the past 20 years I have had 11 hearing tests, and my hearing isn't too bad considering the job I did.

Gotta agree with the above, wind noise above about 45 or so, for me anyway, is a real distraction.

NB
did you try testing your hearing using this yet? http://www.freemosquitoringtones.org/

Old December 5th, 2008, 12:07 AM   #27
FlamingYellowInsanity
Too sexy for roadrash

Motorcycle(s): 2004 Ninja 250, 2007 Lance GS-R 150 (racing modified scooter), 1980 Honda CB750K project

Kind of. I'd like something that sounds a little beefier than the stock cans, but looking cool isn't exactly a high priority to me, but louder might keep people from tailgaiting me so much. I drive about 90 miles a day on the freeway (to school), and you wouldn't believe the people in this area. In a weeks time, I had 2 people pass me on the outside of the carpool lane while I was cruisin' at 75mph (82 indicated)! One passed when it was paved, the other passed on the dirt!!! And I get about 10 people a day that don't want to go around me, but would rather see if they can push me to go faster.

I'm seriously thinking of just mounting up my Katana (sword) on the bike and seeing if that helps. That, or sparkplugs/lugnuts/rocks. OK, rant over...

Though, I talked to a friend of mine who rides a HD with aftermarket pipes, and he says no one ever tailgaits him, EVER. Food for thought maybe.

Travis

Old December 5th, 2008, 12:10 AM   #28
kkim

Quote:
Kind of. I'd like something that sounds a little beefier than the stock cans, but looking cool isn't exactly a high priority to me, but louder might keep people from tailgaiting me so much. I drive about 90 miles a day on the freeway (to school), and you wouldn't believe the people in this area. In a weeks time, I had 2 people pass me on the outside of the carpool lane while I was cruisin' at 75mph (82 indicated)! One passed when it was paved, the other passed on the dirt!!! And I get about 10 people a day that don't want to go around me, but would rather see if they can push me to go faster.

I'm seriously thinking of just mounting up my Katana (sword) on the bike and seeing if that helps. That, or sparkplugs/lugnuts/rocks. OK, rant over...

Though, I talked to a friend of mine who rides a HD with aftermarket pipes, and he says no one ever tailgaits him, EVER. Food for thought maybe.

Travis
if you are looking for loud pipes for the pregens, Muzzy is supposed to be ridiculously loud, but at least has the distinction of actually adding some power to the bike.

Old December 5th, 2008, 12:22 AM   #29
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE, '15 CRF110F, '13 TT-R50E

Quote:
And I get about 10 people a day that don't want to go around me, but would rather see if they can push me to go faster.
Forget the loud pipes. Move over. If you have that many people angered behind you, to the point where some have actually passed on the dirt to get around, there's something else going on here.

Remember, there's no "winning" in any conflict between a bike and a car. Holding the moral high ground means nothing if you're not around to enjoy it afterwards. If you notice a tailgater (and you're not being careful enough if you don't notice a tailgater), move over. Let them by. And go on with your day.

If you get passed on the right by 1 vehicle when you're in the left lane, wake up and see if you are really in the correct lane. If you are passed on the right by 2 vehicles? You're absolutely, unequivocably driving in the wrong lane. Slower traffic keep right. Left lane for passing.

Stay safe out there!

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)

Old December 5th, 2008, 06:10 PM   #30
rattrap
ninjette.org newbie

Name: lar

Motorcycle(s): ZZR1200

i always ride with either earplugs or earbuds for music/cell. i used to use speakers mounted in my helmet, but i found the wind noise inside my helmet bothersome (and my rf1000 is way quieter than the hjc flip i wore long ago).

the previous replies regarding playing in bands in younger days hits home with me. back then, i never gave a thought to putting anything in to protect my ears.

ever have an ear infection where your hearing was impaired? that happened to me last month, and it was terrible.

try playing music in that condition...for some reason everyone tells you to turn your instrument down!
rattrap is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 6th, 2008, 03:05 PM   #31
FlamingYellowInsanity
Too sexy for roadrash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
Forget the loud pipes. Move over. If you have that many people angered behind you, to the point where some have actually passed on the dirt to get around, there's something else going on here.

Remember, there's no "winning" in any conflict between a bike and a car. Holding the moral high ground means nothing if you're not around to enjoy it afterwards. If you notice a tailgater (and you're not being careful enough if you don't notice a tailgater), move over. Let them by. And go on with your day.

If you get passed on the right by 1 vehicle when you're in the left lane, wake up and see if you are really in the correct lane. If you are passed on the right by 2 vehicles? You're absolutely, unequivocably driving in the wrong lane. Slower traffic keep right. Left lane for passing.

Stay safe out there!
Yup, I've been staying in the right lanes more now, though the drivers that passed me were driving like jerks anyway (swerving through 2-4 lanes at a time in 15+mph excess of traffic speeds). It's just a shame that 75mph (82 indicated) is the slow lane now.

I generally let them by if I can, but when I ride in the carpool lane I can only move over every few miles, and I hardly ever see people in the CP lane, but once in a great while I get jerks like these guys that seem to think 75mph is SO FREAKIN SLOW!!!

Ok, rant over again. Back on topic.

I did try the headphones on my trip to school (~1hr each way) and luckilly I did a test run first to the bowling alley, I had my MP3 on repeat!!! Man, it was a good song, but 4+ times got old, would have hated for an hour of it. But overall they did make for a much nicer ride.

Travis

Old December 6th, 2008, 03:15 PM   #32
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Quote:
I generally let them by if I can, but when I ride in the carpool lane I can only move over every few miles, and I hardly ever see people in the CP lane, but once in a great while I get jerks like these guys that seem to think 75mph is SO FREAKIN SLOW!!!
Makes sense, I forgot that the CP lanes are segregated in SoCal. That's a rarity, in most other parts of the country, NorCal included, the CP/HOV lanes are just the left lane, and people can enter/exit the lane whenever situations warrant it. One of the frustrating parts of the HOV lane is those in carpools or hybrids who dawdle along at 65 mph in the left lane while traffic is moving quicker in all lanes. The HOV lane laws do not supercede general courtesy (and the law!) that states slower vehicles keep right.

Riding a bike on the freeway isn't for the faint of heart, and in some ways our choice of mounts makes it a bit more challenging. We don't have a huge amount of excess power that allows us to just breathe on the throttle and put the bike where we want to, it takes a bit more careful planning and patience to get the Ninjette moving how we'd like. As a general practice, I'd rather be traveling slightly faster than the flow of traffic than at the same pace or slower. Seems to give us more options in case of trouble, and limits the times where we are surprised by something behind us. Of course there will always be vehicles who want to go much faster, but hopefully that's the exception rather than the rule. And going at or faster than the average traffic speed generally puts us in ticket-risk area as well. Life's a bunch of choices, I guess...

Old December 6th, 2008, 05:17 PM   #33
HKr1
IC2(SW)

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): .

I never use ear plugs, unless Iam riding with those old Harley guys
HKr1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 6th, 2008, 07:25 PM   #34
sprale
Dead-thread Necromancer!

Name: Levon

Motorcycle(s): K5 V-Strom

I do occasionally, but with ATGATT it takes enough time already to get ready to ride. In urban traffic, I need to hear everything around me. On trips longer than 30 minutes, I wear them without question. I prefer the molded reusable ones, as the foam disposable ones are generally too big for my narrow canals.

For music, I wear my earbud plugs with my MP3 player on trips.
sprale is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 6th, 2008, 10:14 PM   #35
djpharoah
\m/

Name: Mesh

Motorcycle(s): CBR600F3 Smokin Joes

I do all the time - I never ride without them - why? I have the Two Bros system installed on my ninja 250 a while back cuz my stock pipes were stolen.

Anyways it seems these pipes aren't packed/insulated at all and thus the noise is so freaking loud that I'd get insane headaches without them.

I am seriously considering repacking my pipes.
djpharoah is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 7th, 2008, 06:17 AM   #36
mcteague
ninjette.org member

Name: Tim

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Yamaha FZ6

Absolutely. One ride with proper earplugs and you will never go without. It may not seem noisy to some of you, most likely already have significant hearing loss, but the constant noise takes it's toll. Here in MD only custom plugs are legal. I got a pair for $100. It's like riding in a fairly quiet car, you can still hear things but just at a lower level. It's amazing how reducing the noise makes it easier to concentrate on riding. The constant howl of wind and road can really add to your stress level whether you realize it or not.

Tim
mcteague is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 7th, 2008, 06:20 AM   #37
mcteague
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by djpharoah View Post
I do all the time - I never ride without them - why? I have the Two Bros system installed on my ninja 250 a while back cuz my stock pipes were stolen.

Anyways it seems these pipes aren't packed/insulated at all and thus the noise is so freaking loud that I'd get insane headaches without them.

I am seriously considering repacking my pipes.
Maybe you should chip in to buy earplugs to everyone else how has to listen to your bike. I HATE loud motorcycles and think they just add to the public perception that we are all hooligans. The old saying "my freedom to swing my fist ends where your face begins". It this case, your loud pipes assault everyone you ride past. Ah freedom.

Tim

Old December 7th, 2008, 09:40 AM   #38
djpharoah
\m/

Name: Mesh

Motorcycle(s): CBR600F3 Smokin Joes

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcteague View Post
Maybe you should chip in to buy earplugs to everyone else how has to listen to your bike. I HATE loud motorcycles and think they just add to the public perception that we are all hooligans. The old saying "my freedom to swing my fist ends where your face begins". It this case, your loud pipes assault everyone you ride past. Ah freedom.

Tim
I hear that but truthfully people have been more how should I say observant of me on the bike. When my stock pipes were stolen in October, I could only afford to replace them with these as the stock pipes were like another 400 more.
djpharoah is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 8th, 2008, 04:04 AM   #39
mcteague
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by djpharoah View Post
I hear that but truthfully people have been more how should I say observant of me on the bike. When my stock pipes were stolen in October, I could only afford to replace them with these as the stock pipes were like another 400 more.
Well, by saying people are "observant" I guess you mean all those "what an a$$hole" looks you get. I hear you about the money thing but the "loud pipes save lives" is a myth. If you want to raise your odds of being seen wear a solid yellow or white helmet and invest in headlight and brakelight modulators.

Tim

Old December 8th, 2008, 07:43 AM   #40
ScraitT
Green!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcteague View Post
Well, by saying people are "observant" I guess you mean all those "what an a$$hole" looks you get. I hear you about the money thing but the "loud pipes save lives" is a myth. If you want to raise your odds of being seen wear a solid yellow or white helmet and invest in headlight and brakelight modulators.

Tim
Give the guy a break, the pipes were NOT his first choice, he wanted the factory pipes but they were far more expensive. I slightly remember the post back on KF when he had his factory pips stolen right off his bike.
He even mentioned that he is thinking about repacking them to try to quiet them down a bit.
I think he is just saying that since he ended up only being able to afford these pipes and they are loud, he has started to notice people paying a bit more attention to him.

I do NOT think loud pipes save lives and I do not like them on the street, however I will say that I DO notice bikes more easily with louder pipes sometimes. Maybe 10-20% of the time I will hear the bike, making me aware of it. But that's a small portion of the time and I don't think that making 10-20% of people more aware of you is worth the risk of making even more people pissed off at you.

I'm just saying give the guy a break, he isn't one of those kids that went out and purposely bought the loudest pipe he could find, he just got stuck with it for money issues.

edit-
Sorry, didn't realize that he didn't mention the cost of the pipes until his last post, guess I just remembered that back from his topic on KF. If I remember right, he really was trying hard to get factory pipes back on though.