ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Motorcycle Gear

Old January 9th, 2016, 12:09 AM   #1
Kevin1956
ninjette.org guru

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250R

Sena S3-W and Sena S3-B Helmet Bluetooth

I've been kicking around the idea of getting a bluetooth setup for my helmet. The Sena products got great reviews, so I was leaning towards one of their models. A friend has a Sena SMH10. I liked it, but the control unit that attaches to the helmet seemed a little large and clunky, and may not mount properly on my helmet since I have a Contour Roam camera on the left side just below the visor's hinge.

I ran across the Sena 3S series bluetooth that seemed to be just what I needed. It got great reviews for sound and voice clarity just like their other models. Since the battery is inside one of the speakers they were able to make the control unit very small, eliminating my worry about any potential interference issue with the camera.

The S3 series doesn't have all the features of the other Sena models. It will only pair with one other unit for intercom purposes. My needs are simple though. I only wanted it for making or receiving calls and maybe to listen to a little music while traveling the boring flat expanses of California's Central Valley, where I live.

I ordered one from Revzilla, and it came by free UPS shipping a few days later. The price was right at $89, a lot cheaper than the other models. After spending about 15 minutes installing it in my Shoei Qwest, I tried it out.

I love it! It works wonderfully. When speaking on the phone, even at high speeds, the other person has no idea I'm on my bike! Music quality is pretty good too. I got the 3S-W wired mic model since I use a full face helmet. The 3S-B model has a boom mic for open face or modular helmets. Both models feature up to 8 hours talk/music time, and 7 days standby time.

Highly recommended! Works very well, great price!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg !3sw.JPG (24.2 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg !3sb.jpg (18.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg !su.JPG (30.8 KB, 2 views)

Last futzed with by Kevin1956; January 9th, 2016 at 03:07 AM.
Kevin1956 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 9th, 2016, 01:20 AM   #2
MrAtom

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - July '15
Just curious, can you bluetooth pair from Sena to other bluetooth headsets? I'd like one, but I'm not sure I'd really use it enough to justify $89 on it.
MrAtom is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 9th, 2016, 02:12 AM   #3
Kevin1956
ninjette.org guru

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250R

@Mr.Atom , It will definitely pair with another Sena, but according to them other brands can be paired "only if the non-Sena headset has been updated to a firmware version that has the Universal Intercom feature and the non-Sena headset is capable of being paired to a device such as a mobile phone. When paired to a Sena headset, the non-Sena headset needs to make a phone call, by using the same button operation necessary to activate the voice dialer on a mobile phone, in order to connect to the Sena headset for intercom communication since the non-Sena headset will act as if the Sena headset is another phone rather than a Bluetooth headset". I'm sure this sounds a lot more complicated than what it actually is.
Kevin1956 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 9th, 2016, 03:07 AM   #4
MrAtom

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - July '15
Interesting. Thank you.
MrAtom is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 9th, 2016, 11:41 PM   #5
verboten1
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): '75 CB550:.'82 XV920:.'00 KLR650:.'00 EX250:.'08 Ninja 250

MOTM - June '15
I actually just saw the sena 3 today as I was shopping for my 20. It looks nice, My son will be getting my SMH10, otherwise he'd have a 3! I was also looking at the 10s...but I really want the dual radios on the 20 so my GPs and my phone will work together better.

Ride more, worry less.
verboten1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 11th, 2016, 06:40 AM   #6
VaFish
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Tom

Motorcycle(s): 2001 Ninja 250, 2019 Harley Ultra Classic, 2001 Suzuki SV650

MOTM - Jan '16
I have the Sena SMH10R units for my daughter and I, my son has the SMH10.

I really like them. The 2 downsides to the 3S are the 200 meter range and the single pairing.

But if you don't need those features, the 3S is about half the price of the SMH10's.

I've been driving at over 70 MPH and received a phone call and the person on the phone had no idea I was on my bike. Bike to bike communications is pretty much line of sight in the wide open and 400-500 meters around curves or out of sight.
VaFish is offline   Reply With Quote