Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Motorcycle Gear

Old March 1st, 2012, 02:01 PM   #1
MikeBudd
ninjette.org guru

Name: Mike

Motorcycle(s): RED 2010 Ninja 250r

Alpinestars SMX-2 Boot Review

Hey Guys,

My boots finally came in yesterday, and I liked them so much I decided that I wanted to do a review!

Plus, I really wanted to complain that I had to pay 70 dollars in duty, HST, and service charges to customs

Anyways, onto my review.

Alpinestars SMX-2

Alpinestars wanted to create a boot that was #1 a safe shorty, and #2 very stealthy in terms of wearability.

I personally think that they are very successful in both area's.

Essentially they took one of their larger racing boot (can't remember exactly what model), and cut it in half. Leaving most of the safety features intact.

The boots look good and are made out of durable leather. Considering they are alpinestar, there really isn't to much branding on them.

If you take a closer look, you will see the removable/interchangeable toe slider near the front of the boot. You will also notice that there is venting ports allowing them to breathe. While riding you foot doesn't get cold, but I did notice that even when its hot your feet stay nice and dry simply because of this venting.

Onto the bottom:

The bottoms of these are pretty durable, and seem to have pretty good traction (haven't worn them a ton yet). While riding, the heel is placed quite well allowing for a nice feel and grip on the footpegs.

Onto the other side of the boot and the shifter pad

You will notice that this side also has different pattern as that is where the velcro closure and zipper are housed. In the first picture you can see the shifter pad, and their is a close up on it in the next picture.

It seems to work quite well, obviously I can't say anything about the durability, but it does grip the shifter nicely, and looks good as well. Both boots have this to keep them looking good

Now onto the zipper and how you get the boot on

First picture shows the velcro as well as the zipper. They did something nice in adding a velcro bit on the zipper so that when the velcro is closed the zipper stays in place nicely. The zipper seems to be heavy duty, and as far as I can tell works well.

The next picture shows the opening and how to get your foot in. You will probably notice my size O>O 8?? To be honest, I normally fit a nine, and this 8 is almost even too big on me. I'm not to sure about their sizing, but at least for me they fit a bit big.

After putting the boot on and zipping up the zipper and closing the velcro, comes this:

I didn't take a picture of the small piece that this attaches to, but its pretty much the same as a ski boot in terms of locking. It works pretty well, and does lock in your foot at the ankle. My only gripe is that it is made of plastic, and I don't know how well it will hold up. Hopefully it will last me awhile!

Anyways...

In terms of safety they cover your entire ankle and go up onto your shin. They lock it in place pretty securely and your entire foot and ankle is bound in hard leather with optimally place sliders and hard parts. They were meant for street riding where people don't want to have to change shoes and could walk around the office or school. These boots are perfect for that, and that is why I bought them

How do I like these boots?

They fit my purpose completely. They look good, they are super comfortable for walking around (FORGOT TO MENTION THE achilles tendon cut out part). They are safe, or at least as safe as a short boot can be, and definitely ease my mind while I am riding.

If this is what you want in a boot, then these are perfect for you!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG-20120301-00052.jpg (88.7 KB, 155 views)
File Type: jpg IMG-20120301-00053.jpg (87.7 KB, 151 views)
File Type: jpg IMG-20120301-00054.jpg (87.0 KB, 150 views)
File Type: jpg IMG-20120301-00055.jpg (59.7 KB, 150 views)
File Type: jpg IMG-20120301-00057.jpg (77.7 KB, 148 views)
File Type: jpg IMG-20120301-00058.jpg (77.6 KB, 150 views)
File Type: jpg IMG-20120301-00059.jpg (116.0 KB, 150 views)
MikeBudd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 1st, 2012, 09:00 PM   #2
saxnbass
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): 2009 CBR600rr

I may look into a pair of these for wearing when going to school, shopping and other commute riding.

Also, what's the difference between these and the SMX-1s?
saxnbass is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 3rd, 2012, 09:51 AM   #3
Squalo
ninjette.org member

Name: Canada

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBudd View Post
Plus, I really wanted to complain that I had to pay 70 dollars in duty, HST, and service charges to customs
FYI, when ever ordering out of the USA it is usually not worth it unless you can get it shipped USPS. Box box shippers like UPS and FedEx will destroy any potential savings with their outrageous brokerage fees.

I made that mistake once a long time ago and have been happily reaping the savings of US bought goods ever since.
Squalo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 3rd, 2012, 10:03 PM   #4
MikeBudd
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by saxnbass View Post
I may look into a pair of these for wearing when going to school, shopping and other commute riding.

Also, what's the difference between these and the SMX-1s?
Awesome for that stuff!

More protection, better quality, I saw a video when I was buying them that compared them. Ill try to find it for you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squalo View Post
FYI, when ever ordering out of the USA it is usually not worth it unless you can get it shipped USPS. Box box shippers like UPS and FedEx will destroy any potential savings with their outrageous brokerage fees.

I made that mistake once a long time ago and have been happily reaping the savings of US bought goods ever since.
That's true. I have gotten billed once or twice with USPS but normally it is much cheaper. Sometimes I just forget to inquire and assume its USPS and I pay for it :O

Old March 6th, 2012, 06:28 PM   #5
NDspd
1/4 English, 3/4 Kick Ass

Name: Jeremy

Motorcycle(s): 2002 Triumph Speed Triple 955i, '05 Suzuki SV650S(retired), '11 Ninja 250R(sold)

I'll be doing a review of the SMX-5's here soon!!

Nice review on the SMX-2's!!
NDspd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 6th, 2012, 07:47 PM   #6
MikeBudd
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDspd View Post
I'll be doing a review of the SMX-5's here soon!!

Nice review on the SMX-2's!!
Sweet!

Old March 12th, 2012, 10:02 AM   #7
saxnbass
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): 2009 CBR600rr

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBudd View Post
I saw a video when I was buying them that compared them. Ill try to find it for you!
Happen to come across that video yet?

Old March 13th, 2012, 08:48 PM   #8
MikeBudd
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by saxnbass View Post
Happen to come across that video yet?
Skip to 1:29 he does a quick comparison.

Link to original page on YouTube.