ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old March 16th, 2009, 11:20 PM   #1
Gbug
ninjette.org member

Name: Grant

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r

Why the sucky gas mileage?

I'm running the stock exhaust, desnorkled, needles shimmed with one 4mm washer. For about the last 5 or 6 tanks, I'm only getting about 35 mpg. Sometimes a couple better/worse. I usually cruise on the highway at about an indicated 80mph. I'm geared +1, so that usually puts me at about 8-9k rpms. City driving is not really any better. In the city, I cruise anywhere from 5-8k rpm, and don't redline very often. I guess I can accept 45 mpg, but 35? It's a 250 for crying out loud! What gives?
Gbug is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 16th, 2009, 11:26 PM   #2
Verus Cidere
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Michael

Motorcycle(s): '91 Honda CBR600 F2

Mine did that to me for a little while too. Don't quote me on this, 'cause I'm definitely not an expert, but you might try going a little bit lower in RPMs inside the city. There's not many places in my city where the speed limit goes above 45 mph. You should be able to hit that in 6th without going past 6k. I'd suggest getting up to 6th as soon as possible after getting going and staying there as long as possible. Also, don't keep the gas held for very long if you're coming up to a red light or stop sign. The longer you hold it, the more you use. I can't say for sure that's what was going on with mine, but I did notice a difference in gas mileage after trying the lower RPM trick (aka went from 40 to 55). Try it out.
Verus Cidere is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 16th, 2009, 11:27 PM   #3
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

I've gotten as low as 33 mpg for a tank, but that's a tank that has been held at full throttle and high revs for the vast majority of the tank. With the usage you've described, I'd expect 40-45 on my bike, and I think I'm on the low end for fuel efficiency. Did you used to get significantly better mileage? Can you think of anything that may have changed that could be a contributing factor? How are you calculating your fuel mileage?

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 16th, 2009, 11:28 PM   #4
kkim

how are you calculating your gas mileage?
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 17th, 2009, 09:44 AM   #5
Nemy
ninjette.org sage

Name: Tim

Motorcycle(s): 2009 SE Ninja 250R

and how many clicks do you have on the bike? There've been reports that the ninjette doesn't have the best mileage during its early stages of life.
Nemy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 17th, 2009, 10:16 AM   #6
OldGuy
Live Life

Name: Don

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Green SE Ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemy View Post
There've been reports that the ninjette doesn't have the best mileage during its early stages of life.
I may have a "non-conforming" Ninja but my first fill up yesterday after only 152 miles gave me 54.5 mpg. 25 of the first 50 miles were out on back roads varying the speed/rpm in all gears but never exceeding 6K or 55 mph. Rest of the miles are on my daily commute in town 8 miles each way.

Old March 17th, 2009, 10:28 AM   #7
Gbug
ninjette.org member

How I calculate: Fill gas tank to full, reset trip. Next time I fill up to full, divide miles on trip by amount of gas I just put in.

Its an '08 with 7k miles on it. I bought the bike used, and only had it for a short while before I shimmed the needles. I think I got about 55 mpg before shimming. I started out with two washers per needle, but it bogged when I got above 10k rpm, so I cut it back to one per needle. Now it pulls great up to redline, so I don't think it's running rich. I went with 4mm washers cause I couldn't find 3mm ones anywhere. I don't think the 1mm difference is the problem though.

One other thing that might be the culprit. I noticed when I removed the washers that I had a slight tear around the edge of one of the rubber diaghram things that covers the carb. Is it possible that this could be jacking with my gas mileage?

Old March 17th, 2009, 11:05 AM   #8
kkim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gbug View Post
One other thing that might be the culprit. I noticed when I removed the washers that I had a slight tear around the edge of one of the rubber diaghram things that covers the carb. Is it possible that this could be jacking with my gas mileage?
That may have some bearing on the problem. how bad is the tear? they can be repaired, you know.

Old March 17th, 2009, 05:32 PM   #9
Gbug
ninjette.org member

Hmmm, how would I go about repairing it? I checked and its about $35 for a new one.

Old March 17th, 2009, 05:44 PM   #10
kkim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gbug View Post
Hmmm, how would I go about repairing it? I checked and its about $35 for a new one.
I've heard it's more like a hundred.

where is it $35?

Use a vinyl rubber repair kit like they have to repair tire tubes. You'll need a relatively light pice of rubber/vinyl to use as a patch.

For more info, PM member TheDuck as he is the only one I know of that has repaired a torn diaphragm.

Picture of the tear before you patch it once you're in there?

Old March 17th, 2009, 06:05 PM   #11
Gbug
ninjette.org member

Crap, I just double checked and its definetely about $100. I'll probably just try to repair it when I ever get around to it. And I'll be sure to snap a pic.