ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old September 13th, 2013, 06:31 PM   #1
akh1685
90% Reader, 10% Poster

Name: AKH

Motorcycle(s): 2000 Ninja Ex250

Oil leak from drain plug

I noticed I had a very very tiny leak coming from the drain plug (one drop a night).

I bought a new drain plug and as my mechanic was about to unscrew the plug, he stopped and said it's because it looks like something was wrong.

The drain plug that was on there seems to have been a non metric type and went in sideways.

Long story short, my bike is now leaking more, 3-4 drops when I park it. And it's only been a couple of hours since it left the mechanic's hands.

It's there any solution to this that would be inexpensive?

My mechanic said he's going to do some research because he's concerned about that and the fact that the oil filter is on there SUPER TIGHT and can't get it out.
akh1685 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 13th, 2013, 06:42 PM   #2
tfkrocks
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Rebecca

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300 w/ ABS, 2014 NC700X, 2008 Ninja 250 (sold), 2002 Ninja 250 (sold)

MOTM - Jan '18, Sep '13
I've heard people mention helicoil as a repair option.
tfkrocks is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 13th, 2013, 11:18 PM   #3
Lychee
sail away

Name: Jon

Motorcycle(s): gixxer (sold), ninjette (upgrade!)

1. Replace oil pan.

OR

2. Weld the old oil drain plug on. Then replace your oil pick up filter cover with the new-gen pick up cover, which includes another oil drain plug and has the benefit of providing a larger supply for the pickup under hard breaking.

http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/Changin...ver/drain_plug

Last futzed with by Lychee; September 16th, 2013 at 10:27 AM.
Lychee is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 14th, 2013, 05:58 AM   #4
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by akh1685 View Post
.....I bought a new drain plug and as my mechanic was about to unscrew the plug, he stopped and said it's because it looks like something was wrong.

The drain plug that was on there seems to have been a non metric type and went in sideways................the oil filter is on there SUPER TIGHT and can't get it out.
You need a better mechanic or to learn how-to and to find a place to do it yourself.

Why did you buy a new drain plug?
Did it come with a new aluminum washer?
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 14th, 2013, 05:50 PM   #5
akh1685
90% Reader, 10% Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motofool View Post
You need a better mechanic or to learn how-to and to find a place to do it yourself.
That doesn't pertain to my question being asked.

Anyway, I was warned before buying the bike that the drain plug is causing a tiny leak and therefore, I bought a new drain plug. And yes, it came with an aluminum washer. It was just a matter of time that I had the bike in the shop and checked out.

Old September 14th, 2013, 07:38 PM   #6
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by akh1685 View Post
......... And yes, it came with an aluminum washer.........
You will need to plan time to disable the bike, just in case any repair takes some time.

You will need to drain all the oil and inspect the condition of the aluminum threads in the crankcase (the old plug is not likely to be damaged).

See how the new plug adjusts in the threads; it doesn't have to be perfect.
They may be strong enough to put pressure on the new washer and eliminate the leak.

If not, you will need to find a way to seal that hole and use the new-gen system.
You could try a helicoil but the problem is that the threads need to be perfectly perpendicular to the flat sealing surface in order to avoid any leak.
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 14th, 2013, 11:45 PM   #7
akh1685
90% Reader, 10% Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motofool View Post
You will need to plan time to disable the bike, just in case any repair takes some time.

You will need to drain all the oil and inspect the condition of the aluminum threads in the crankcase (the old plug is not likely to be damaged).

See how the new plug adjusts in the threads; it doesn't have to be perfect.
They may be strong enough to put pressure on the new washer and eliminate the leak.

If not, you will need to find a way to seal that hole and use the new-gen system.
You could try a helicoil but the problem is that the threads need to be perfectly perpendicular to the flat sealing surface in order to avoid any leak.
Thank you, time is what is killing me right now because I don't quite have all the time in the world for my bike to be disabled. Friends have been advising me about the helicoil route.

Old October 4th, 2013, 01:03 PM   #8
akh1685
90% Reader, 10% Poster

Just curious, how much will a new oil pan will cost me?