ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Motorcycle Gear

Old May 6th, 2013, 06:02 PM   #1
subxero
dirty boy

Name: Joe

Motorcycle(s): I don't even know anymore??

MOTM - Apr '14
Alpine* Celer vs Dainese racing pelle

both retail for around $600

if you had to pick which would you choose?

I am up in the air over these two

http://www.btosports.com/p/alpinestars-celer-jacket

http://www.cyclegear.com/CycleGear/S...68_200145_7041
subxero is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 6th, 2013, 06:08 PM   #2
tfkrocks
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Rebecca

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300 w/ ABS, 2014 NC700X, 2008 Ninja 250 (sold), 2002 Ninja 250 (sold)

MOTM - Jan '18, Sep '13
The Dainese because I like the collar coming up higher.
tfkrocks is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 6th, 2013, 06:36 PM   #3
lgk

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 2012 EX250, 2014 EX300

Are they both made in italy?

Old May 6th, 2013, 07:00 PM   #4
subxero
dirty boy

MOTM - Apr '14
^ not a clue

Old May 6th, 2013, 07:30 PM   #5
Compooky
ninjette.org member

Name: Garry

Motorcycle(s): 2011 ninja 250r, 2013 gsxr 600

I think most of the stuff from Dainese is made in Ukraine now.

Should consider the gmx-motion from RS-Taichi.
Compooky is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 6th, 2013, 09:02 PM   #6
Byakkotai
ninjette.org guru

Name: Roger

Motorcycle(s): 2013 White Ninja 300

Ukraine...is right. Still excellent build quality though as expected.

Tough choice...depends what you're looking looking for looks/features wise. The Racing has straight up vents in the front but no speed hump/elbow sliders? which the Celer has. I like Dainese stuff...don't own A* stuff, so bias...
Byakkotai is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 6th, 2013, 11:15 PM   #7
anacron
ninjette.org guru

Name: Adi

Motorcycle(s): Triumph Street Triple R

I bought the Pelle from revzilla and am in the process of exchanging it (due to sizing) for the Celer. The Pelle is out of stock for my size so I'm getting the Celer instead.

Personally I like the features on the Celer a lot more (chest and rib vents to flow more air, racing hump and the aggressive look). The Dainese is great too, it just depends on what you want in the jacket.
anacron is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 6th, 2013, 11:49 PM   #8
five10
ninjette.org member

Name: Nasty

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ebony Ninja 300

Quote:
Originally Posted by Compooky View Post
+1 Love the airflow in my GMX motion. Speed hump, CE rated shoulder sliders/pads & elbow pads, Knox back protector, stretch panels, perf and breathable panels at a lower price than either of the jackets. Euro/Japan fit.

To answer the original question, I'd go with the A* in terms of technical stuff. I don't know about the build quality.

I had a Racing Pelle and it was pretty nice + I got it for like $380(?) at MotoGP @ Laguna Seca last year. Felt really nice, but I wanted a lot more protection off the bat. I returned it and got the GMX-motion.

Old May 7th, 2013, 01:26 AM   #9
psych0hans

Name: Hansveer

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250r - Track whore, Ninja 300 - SOLD, KTM RC390 - Orange Hulk, Ducati 899 Panigale - Red Devil.

I like the look of te dianese better...

Old May 7th, 2013, 11:09 AM   #10
menikmati
crash 250, get supersport

Name: Richard

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250R SE (Sold 6/9/14), 2009 ZX-6R (Sold 6/25/14), Subaru BRZ

They both are great fully-featured jackets. I'd choose the Celer as I prefer its ventilation scheme and hard outer elbow slider. I'm also a fan of a race hump, but that's just me.

I think I read an article (well, from 2010) that Dainese moved the bulk of their production to Tunisia.

http://www.asphaltandrubber.com/news...ction-tunisia/

Old May 7th, 2013, 11:52 AM   #11
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
i have that dainese jacket. i like it. i like it more than my A* gp pro jacket.

Old May 7th, 2013, 12:18 PM   #12
subxero
dirty boy

MOTM - Apr '14
I like the perforation of that gmx-motion RS-Taichi.

The jacket i get will be my primary summer jacket so i need to make sure i am not going to get to warm in it.

I tried on the Dainese racing pelle and it fit good but there was some gathering of the leather hear and there on me that i was not a huge fan of.

Old May 7th, 2013, 12:30 PM   #13
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by subxero View Post
i need to make sure i am not going to get to warm in it.
this won't ever be the case. you will always have times where you are uncomfortable in every piece of gear. either too cold or too hot. having things like sweaters for cold and statechange vests on hot days helps. just remember, sweating isn't as bad as bleeding

Old May 7th, 2013, 12:51 PM   #14
Byakkotai
ninjette.org guru

Name: Roger

Motorcycle(s): 2013 White Ninja 300

There's a Racing Perf version available now - extra perf helps but yea the weather has the final say.

And I noticed a Cyclegear ad banner up above that I can't find anymore...10% off over $50 purchase? arsave10? gah (probably some exclusions but none of that * stuff on the banner if I remember correctly).
Byakkotai is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 7th, 2013, 01:07 PM   #15
dave42
ninjette.org guru

Name: dave

Motorcycle(s): ninja 250, ZX6r, RSV4, Caponord Rally

Both jackets are good quality; Dainese fits me better though (it's a more narrow fit with not as much material in the stomach area).
dave42 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 7th, 2013, 02:34 PM   #16
hexstylee
ninjette.org member

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): 2013 636, 2011 250R

I have go pro, got it for like 480. I tried on the dainese felt s little heavy. But everyone has their own take.
hexstylee is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 15th, 2013, 03:19 PM   #17
anacron
ninjette.org guru

Finally got my red A* celer and I'm really impressed with the quality and the look of the jacket. I like the fact that there's reflective strips added all around the jacket to make it more visible at night.

The speed hump is a nice touch as well and in comparison I think the celer might protect your back a bit better than the Dainese.

Suffice it to say that I'm really happy trading in the Dainese for the A* (however, I did keep the Dainese delta pro pants)

Old May 15th, 2013, 04:31 PM   #18
yzfr6i
ninjette.org member

Name: Scott

Motorcycle(s): 2010 R6

In that price range I would go with the RS Taichi GMX motion. Nothing can touch it on airflow. Had mine on the other day when it was in the 40s in the morning (Had the wind-break liner in). And wore it yesterday when it was in the mid 90s on the way home. Plus it comes with a Knox CE certified back protector.

Old May 15th, 2013, 10:39 PM   #19
ADoMinGu3z
ninjette.org member

if ur leaning toward the pelle, id suggest you jump on it soon. some color variations will not be carrying over and supply might b limited. i personally like the leather on the celer, but its a little more aggressive with the styling in my opinion. both are nice jackets. dont believe the pelle has a scoop, so keep that in mind when you are deciding
ADoMinGu3z is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 15th, 2013, 10:41 PM   #20
anacron
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADoMinGu3z View Post
if ur leaning toward the pelle, id suggest you jump on it soon. some color variations will not be carrying over and supply might b limited. i personally like the leather on the celer, but its a little more aggressive with the styling in my opinion. both are nice jackets. dont believe the pelle has a scoop, so keep that in mind when you are deciding
^^^this.

Revzilla got a new shipment of the celer just as I was exchanging 2 weeks ago whereas most of the pelle sizes and colors are gone.

Old May 15th, 2013, 10:47 PM   #21
ADoMinGu3z
ninjette.org member

i would compare the jaws to the racing pelle. the jaws is a damn awesome jacket. thing is nearly sold out at alot of places. its on back order at my local retailer till july. plus it comes with an internal liner. thats one up on the celer imo. plan on picking one up when the price is right :P

Old May 16th, 2013, 09:02 AM   #22
subxero
dirty boy

MOTM - Apr '14
As i said earlier, i had tried on a few pelle and they felt good but was worried about being to warm in summer. I was thinking i was going to buy the celer and went to get one off a website but for some reason my credit card did not go through when i ordered. The order got flagged as suspicious by my CC company. I took it as a sign and bought a GMX motion the next day, The perforation is what really sold me on it along with the other great features.
Should be here today or tomorrow.... I hope it fits

Old May 16th, 2013, 09:12 AM   #23
xaple
ninjette.org guru

Name: Daniel "God"

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Compooky View Post
I think most of the stuff from Dainese is made in Ukraine now.

+1 also. There is a reason this is one of the best selling jackets on the market.
If you are stuck on the two you are looking at I would say go with the dianese, seems better in protection.
xaple is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 17th, 2013, 03:45 PM   #24
yzfr6i
ninjette.org member

Let us know what you think when it shows up. Pretty sure your going to be happy with your choice.

Old May 17th, 2013, 08:26 PM   #25
ADoMinGu3z
ninjette.org member

wasnt too familiar with the gmx motion so i looked it up.....looks like a damn fine jacket. congrats on ur choice regardless

Old May 18th, 2013, 11:04 PM   #26
pdxrider
ninjette.org member

Name: rider

Motorcycle(s): 300

I haven't seen Taichi personally, but after owning a used Dainese and personally seen A* Atem ($700). I think Dainese stands apart and much nicer quality than A*.
pdxrider is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 19th, 2013, 02:15 PM   #27
subxero
dirty boy

MOTM - Apr '14
Got the GMX motion Jacket on Saturday. Was nervous about fit as i have fairly broad shoulders and finding things that fit well is tough. I got a 42us, 52euro XXLjap (I'm huge in japan! ) size. I'm around 5'8" 175-180lbs Generally get a size 44 suit coat so it fits in the shoulders then get it tailored taken in around the waist. That being said I would rather the riding jacket be a little snug in the shoulders and pits than be so big in the waist that i swim in it, so thats why i went with the 42.

So i was able to get the jacket on! that was a good feeling. It is slightly snug in the chest, pit area but over all fits me pretty well. Today i was able to go out for a quick ride. So i geared up and was off. Temp was a cool 70 degrees. I had T-shirt on under the gmx motion, and it felt like heaven. I like cooler weather so the cool air flow was amazing. So much air flow from everywhere it was really nice. The jacket moved with me and felt comfortable. There was a little bunching from the belly area when i would tuck but i feel like i have a short torso so i tend to get that with just about everything i wear. It is not near as bad as my other riding jacket though (a* motogp mesh)...or something like that.

All in all i am really happy with the jacket right now. It looks well made and should hold up fairly well. Seems like the sizing is pretty spot on and fits just how i expected it to. I'm Finally glad to have a nice leather jacket hopefully i never have to test it.

Thanks to everyone for all your input. And i highly suggest that anyone looking for a high airflow leather jacket to consider the GMX motion.

Old May 19th, 2013, 05:46 PM   #28
pdxrider
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Got the GMX motion Jacket on Saturday. Was nervous about fit as i have fairly broad shoulders and finding things that fit well is tough. I got a 42us, 52euro XXLjap (I'm huge in japan! ) size. I'm around 5'8" 175-180lbs Generally get a size 44 suit coat so it fits in the shoulders then get it tailored taken in around the waist. That being said I would rather the riding jacket be a little snug in the shoulders and pits than be so big in the waist that i swim in it, so thats why i went with the 42.

So i was able to get the jacket on! that was a good feeling. It is slightly snug in the chest, pit area but over all fits me pretty well. Today i was able to go out for a quick ride. So i geared up and was off. Temp was a cool 70 degrees. I had T-shirt on under the gmx motion, and it felt like heaven. I like cooler weather so the cool air flow was amazing. So much air flow from everywhere it was really nice. The jacket moved with me and felt comfortable. There was a little bunching from the belly area when i would tuck but i feel like i have a short torso so i tend to get that with just about everything i wear. It is not near as bad as my other riding jacket though (a* motogp mesh)...or something like that.

All in all i am really happy with the jacket right now. It looks well made and should hold up fairly well. Seems like the sizing is pretty spot on and fits just how i expected it to. I'm Finally glad to have a nice leather jacket hopefully i never have to test it.

Thanks to everyone for all your input. And i highly suggest that anyone looking for a high airflow leather jacket to consider the GMX motion.
Post some pictures. BTW do you mind telling how much you paid for the jacket, reason I ask is I myself want to buy a summer jacket and thinking it will be either Dainese Perforated Racing Pelle or GMX. You can PM me if you would like to.

Old May 19th, 2013, 06:24 PM   #29
subxero
dirty boy

MOTM - Apr '14
@pdxrider, I ended up getting it from Taichimoto.com http://www.taichimoto.com/new-rs-tai...eather-jacket/ Got it here because they said they had the Black and white in my size. It took like a week and a half to get to me, but they said that was because they had already placed an order to Japan when i had sent mine in and the tried to squeeze it into the same shipment IDK. Shipping was free so i don't care, i got it and it is in good shape.

Paid what you see, $539

good review

Link to original page on YouTube.

Old May 19th, 2013, 06:29 PM   #30
pdxrider
ninjette.org member

Quote:
@pdxrider, I ended up getting it from Taichimoto.com http://www.taichimoto.com/new-rs-tai...eather-jacket/ Got it here because they said they had the Black and white in my size. It took like a week and a half to get to me, but they said that was because they had already placed an order to Japan when i had sent mine in and the tried to squeeze it into the same shipment IDK. Shipping was free so i don't care, i got it and it is in good shape.

Paid what you see, $539

good review

Link to original page on YouTube.

thanks man. Is Taichi quality is same or better than Dainese? :dunno:

Old May 19th, 2013, 07:01 PM   #31
subxero
dirty boy

MOTM - Apr '14
^ can't help ya there. I have never owned a Dainese and know very little about either company and how they make their jackets.

Old May 19th, 2013, 07:19 PM   #32
yzfr6i
ninjette.org member

Taichi's quality is top notch. I have the GMX motion jacket, their EVO gloves, WXR 303 suit, and GP-Max 101 suit. Prior to switching to them I was wearing a Dainese Techno suit (their top suit in 1999) that I used for 12 years. I don't know how Dainese's quality is now, but their older Italian made suits were built very well.

Taichi just fits me better, flow much more air, and is very easy to move in. I keep my suit on all day at the track, and keep it zipped up 90% of that time. They're just that comfortable.

@subxero, mine was tight in the chest too. After a few rides it will break in.

Old May 19th, 2013, 07:40 PM   #33
yzfr6i
ninjette.org member

Just looked on the WERA forum, and there's a used GMX motion jacket for $450. Says it's a size 54/44.