ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Notices

Old June 7th, 2009, 09:27 AM   #1
unowned
ninjette.org member

Name: TC

Motorcycle(s): NINJA 250R 08

confused about air filters amongst other things

im about to get a boat load of performance upgrades next week...namely a dynojet kit and a area-p full exhaust....the DIYs seem pretty straight forward, but while im at it, i figure i might as well do a bunch of other stuff such as installing my shogun kit, changing the sprockets, and modifying the air filter/box...

so that's where im at a loss, what's the difference between a "pod filter" and an k&n r-0990...what about these bmc filters, there's so much terminology being intermixed with each other that i'm not really sure what would be best for me. I've seen from the jetting database that many just remove their snorkels and that would suffice as an intake mod??? i do not mind spending extra money on a filter or pod filter...but what the heck am i doing...i still dont know what the difference is between these different filters.

other questions....has anyone ever tried installing the shogun crash kit....it says i need a standard floor jack, and i'm would really like to avoid buying one simply because i know this is one of the only times in my life i will ever need one.

Thanks in advance for all your help,
TC
unowned is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 7th, 2009, 09:53 AM   #2
kkim

regarding the filters, there are 2 different ways to think of them.

one is to keep the stock airbox and the other is to remove it.

if you keep the stock airbox, you can remove the snorkel and put in a drop in replacement airfilter.

if you remove the airbox, you will need to use replacement airfilter(s). This replacement can be the single oiled gauze unit r0990 k&n, the 2 separate oil/gauze type BMC filters or the "pod" type filters from Uni.

regarding jetting- if you keep the stock airbox, the main jets will be somewhere about 98/100 Keihin. if you remove the airbox, the main jets will be in the 110/112 Keihin range.
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 7th, 2009, 09:53 AM   #3
CANTFUNCTION
ninjette.org member

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): 09 ninja 250(red)

As for the K&N and BMC filters I don't konw anything about them as I don't have either one of them. But I think the K&N cost more. If your are going to remove the air box you might need a bigger main jet as most poeple are using 110 main jet with air box removed. The dynojet kit only ges to 100 main jet. I would say that removing the snorkel is a intake mod because you are modifying the air box to let more air in.
Hope this helps

Kelly beat me to it

Last futzed with by CANTFUNCTION; June 7th, 2009 at 10:06 AM. Reason: Kelly can type faster than me
CANTFUNCTION is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 7th, 2009, 11:50 AM   #4
unowned
ninjette.org member

so disregarding costs and effort, which is the better route? taking out the air box?

Old June 7th, 2009, 12:38 PM   #5
kkim

better for what?

Old June 7th, 2009, 04:01 PM   #6
CANTFUNCTION
ninjette.org member

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): 09 ninja 250(red)

If you want to know if you should remove or keep the air box, I would just keep the air box in and remove the snorkel for now. And if you are not happy with it then get the filter. As you could see if there was any HP gain by doing this.

If you are talking about which air filter is better. I would get get the K&N as they look like they are easier to put on and take off. But the BMC filters look like they flow more air.
CANTFUNCTION is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 7th, 2009, 06:17 PM   #7
unowned
ninjette.org member

so say i'm taking the snorkel removal route....i should pop in one of these...? http://www.solomotoparts.com/product...cat=320&page=1

again thanks for all the helpful replies

Old June 7th, 2009, 08:11 PM   #8
ROADandTRACK
R&T Suspension

Name: K Hertell

Motorcycle(s): Too many to list

If its a streetbike keep the airbox.
ROADandTRACK is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 7th, 2009, 08:34 PM   #9
kazam58
Sarcasm: Yea that'll work

Name: Andy

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250R

I'm going to throw my two cents in here. Keep the airbox in there. You won't get much power gains with the airbox removed, and I hear it's a royal pita to get out. Not only that, but your mileage will drop even more with the airbox out.
I recently put in Dynojet Needles, Drilled the Slides, and Removed the Snorkel. I have the stock exhaust. I rode it around for a few days while my drop-in K&N came in the mail. It came yesterday and I put it in there. I have to say, it's expensive, but worth it I think. I wasn't expecting much of a difference just because of the K&N, but there was one. The engine pulls hard throughout the entire rev range and gets up to redline pronto. The only thing I have left to do is mess with the idle/low end mixture screws to help it around 5000rpm. Since you're also putting on a new exhaust, you'll get all the power you want, and removing the airbox wouldn't be worth it in my opinion.

Last futzed with by kazam58; June 7th, 2009 at 08:36 PM. Reason: stupidity on my part
kazam58 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 7th, 2009, 10:56 PM   #10
unowned
ninjette.org member

ok thanks all...

so uhm, does the link i have above ...http://www.solomotoparts.com/product...cat=320&page=1 ...will that work as a "drop in filter"?

Old June 7th, 2009, 11:00 PM   #11
kkim

it should.

Old June 7th, 2009, 11:05 PM   #12
Sound Wave
Ramen Rider

Name: Gary

Motorcycle(s): 2015 BMW R1200R, 08 Honda VFR800A (sold), 09 Ninja 250R (sold)

the k&n one is cheaper.
http://www.knfilters.com/search/prod...x?Prod=KA-2508
http://www.jegs.com/i/K%26amp%3BN/599/KA-2508/10002/-1
Sound Wave is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 8th, 2009, 03:57 AM   #13
Banzai
Psychic war veteran

Name: Thomas

Motorcycle(s): Kawi Green '09 Ninja ZX6R

The only difference between the two are the frames. BMC uses a plastic and K&N uses a rubber material. The BMC tends to fit a little better, but not "better" enough to justify the added cost.

Old June 8th, 2009, 02:33 PM   #14
kazam58
Sarcasm: Yea that'll work

Name: Andy

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250R

My K&N fit fine. It has a rubber frame, which seals pretty damn well on its own it seems, but they also supply some grease to add to the outside edge of the filter. You just have to watch which end is tapered.