Old May 13th, 2015, 07:00 AM   #1
Ninjette Newsbot
All the news that's fit to excerpt

Name: newsie

Motorcycle(s): only digital replicas

[visordown.com] - Tested Davida Jet helmet review

Davida's Jet number eight

Kane's cafe racer inspired the open face look

I WANTED Davida's £268 Jet helmet to compliment my R80 BMW café racer. I'm used to race rep full face helmets but it didn't quite match the retro image of the bike so I had to go open face.

Over the last six months I've really put the helmet through its paces. I wore it throughout the winter and it has been knocked around quite a bit too - if I was selling this helmet on eBay I’d list it as ‘well used’. Despite my mistreatment it’s held up well, revealing no visible scratches or water marks on the gloss finish.

Even during the worst of the wind and rain I found no water seeped in at the sides.

I love the eight-ball design but I admit not everybody wants to ride wearing an oversized snooker ball on their head. Luckily Davida has a wide range of other designs with both matt and gloss finishes in over 100 colours. Not enough choice? Bespoke colours and custom designs can be made to order.

I can happily ride all day in the Jet and it’s comfortable and a lot quieter than most open face helmets. It also produces less lift. The Jet's fibreglass shell and liner has been designed to follow the natural shape of the head; narrower at the jaw than at the crown. When combined with the interior, which also follows these lines, the snug fit ensures the Jet is stable as a rock on my head. Davida claims it has used extensive human head data so it can produce helmets proportional to head size.

I have tested a few open face helmets and found that the lift generated is very uncomfortable and can even bruise under the chin, particularly at motorway cruising speeds.

The leather lining with the Saturn crown feels great every time I put it on and gives the helmet the look and feel of a quality lid. Because of the higher profile and the narrow width across the face you need to find goggles that fit comfortably, fortunately there is a sturdy clasp on the back of the helmet to hold your goggle strap in place

The strap has a conventional D-ring fastening, which I like, and there are studs for optional peaks and visors.

What's more, if I get into any classic racing I can use my helmet on the track because it's ACU gold approved for racing in the UK.

Price: £268

Details

Related Content

Used Review: Davida Jet Mashed helmet
Diesel lid says you ain't cool enough
New kit: Davida Jet helmet
Do you like ball sports? I mean, really like them?
Used: DMD Vintage open face helmet review

Click here for full story...