ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Notices

Old March 7th, 2012, 10:25 PM   #1
k24_cm7
ninjette.org member

Name: Drew

Motorcycle(s): '10 250R SE

Electrical Issue - Dead Battery?

Alright guys so my ninja 250r had its battery die because I didnt know it needed a battery tender when storing it. Long story short I charged it with a 2A car charger for 30 mins to raise my voltage from ~11.3 to 12.7 IIRC , just enough to start.

Anyways I know the battery charger wasnt the proper way to do it but it was only 30 mins. So Im riding my bike and I have a voltmeter installed with a digital clock and temp sensor , so while riding the bike rides okay at high 13's v but when I come to a stop, the bikes idle starts to drop a bit and I notice my voltage drop to ~11.7-11.9 and I am required to rev the bike to kick it up to 14 volts so it wont stall .

Would this sound more like a battery issue ? or another electrical issue?

I know with cars, that batterys are just for starting the car and the alternator wil provide the power, but im not entirely sure with bikes. It seems like the stator is working since its kicking hte voltage up when some gas but at idle, im assuming my battery isnt holding a charge?

BUT the bike is still capable of restarting it self .. well at least hte last time I checked...

Input?

thanks in advance!!

Old March 8th, 2012, 02:14 AM   #2
Skippii
Milkshake Drinker

Name: Skippii

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Orange DRZ400-S, 2005 Ninja 250 & Custom Thundercunt Dirt Chopper

Ninjas have something like a 7Ah batterY. You charged it with 2a * 0.5h = 1ah minus charging ineffeciency (35% for nimh, no idea what pbh2so4 is). So you've got a battery that is around 10% charged. Your reading sound preety good for that. Keep riding and charging it.
Posted via Mobile Device
Skippii is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 14th, 2012, 08:05 PM   #3
ProdigyRacingLA
ninjette.org member

Name: Brian

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r Red

My battery died the other night, left the key in and drained the battery.
I got a hold of a car charger with a 2a trickle charge setting. Regular car battery charters will overload our little batteries.

If you don't have a charger handy. You can always roll start and once it comes to life. Ride it for about an hour and the battery should.be good as knew. But you will have to ride it for an hour or.so. be prepared for.that if doing option 2.
If you want to know how to do that let.me know

Hope this helps bro
ProdigyRacingLA is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 14th, 2012, 10:31 PM   #4
lc86
ninjette.org guru

Name: Samual

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250r (RIP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by k24_cm7 View Post
Alright guys so my ninja 250r had its battery die because I didnt know it needed a battery tender when storing it. Long story short I charged it with a 2A car charger for 30 mins to raise my voltage from ~11.3 to 12.7 IIRC , just enough to start.

Anyways I know the battery charger wasnt the proper way to do it but it was only 30 mins. So Im riding my bike and I have a voltmeter installed with a digital clock and temp sensor , so while riding the bike rides okay at high 13's v but when I come to a stop, the bikes idle starts to drop a bit and I notice my voltage drop to ~11.7-11.9 and I am required to rev the bike to kick it up to 14 volts so it wont stall .

Would this sound more like a battery issue ? or another electrical issue?

I know with cars, that batterys are just for starting the car and the alternator wil provide the power, but im not entirely sure with bikes. It seems like the stator is working since its kicking hte voltage up when some gas but at idle, im assuming my battery isnt holding a charge?

BUT the bike is still capable of restarting it self .. well at least hte last time I checked...

Input?

thanks in advance!!
If you let the battery sit for too long when you stored it, its possible the battery is no longer holding a charge. This happened to my brother when he left for a 3 week long trip and left the key on, he had to get a new battery because it wouldn't even hold enough of a charge to start it.
lc86 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 14th, 2012, 10:42 PM   #5
ProdigyRacingLA
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lc86 View Post
If you let the battery sit for too long when you stored it, its possible the battery is no longer holding a charge. This happened to my brother when he left for a 3 week long trip and left the key on, he had to get a new battery because it wouldn't even hold enough of a charge to start it.
I had the key on the ON position for 2 days and killed the battery. I found a battery charger ky brother had and its charging now. It's been 2 hours. I just tested it and it is able to start. However, the lights dim/fade when I start it. So that's a hint to me that it isn't fully charged and drawing too much current.

Really hope i don't have to replace the battery. It seems like it is holding a charge.

Worse case, roll-start and ride for an hour to let the battery charge.

Old March 14th, 2012, 10:49 PM   #6
lc86
ninjette.org guru

Name: Samual

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250r (RIP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProdigyRacingLA View Post
I had the key on the ON position for 2 days and killed the battery. I found a battery charger ky brother had and its charging now. It's been 2 hours. I just tested it and it is able to start. However, the lights dim/fade when I start it. So that's a hint to me that it isn't fully charged and drawing too much current.

Really hope i don't have to replace the battery. It seems like it is holding a charge.

Worse case, roll-start and ride for an hour to let the battery charge.
For only a couple days you are probably fine, its most likely just not fully charged. Since it still at least has enough juice to start it I would just go for a couple long rides and see what happens, worse case you can always push start it.

For the OP keep in mind you have to ride the bike to charge the battery, if the rpms are too low (<4k stock, more depending on your upgrades) you won't actually be charging the battery.
lc86 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 14th, 2012, 10:58 PM   #7
ProdigyRacingLA
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lc86 View Post
For only a couple days you are probably fine, its most likely just not fully charged. Since it still at least has enough juice to start it I would just go for a couple long rides and see what happens, worse case you can always push start it.

For the OP keep in mind you have to ride the bike to charge the battery, if the rpms are too low (<4k stock, more depending on your upgrades) you won't actually be charging the battery.
That's good news! Hopefully just not fully charged.
Tommorow I'm going for a long ride! Highway miles to be sure its over 4k.
I'll go out for about an hour. This should enough to charge it.

Old March 16th, 2012, 10:33 PM   #8
k24_cm7
ninjette.org member

Name: Drew

Motorcycle(s): '10 250R SE

Awesome thanks for the replies guys! I ended up using a 2A car charger for about 30 mins and it started right up! I've been riding it a lot the pas few days and the battery seemed weak from what I saw on my voltmeter.. But now everything seems to be better.

I also bought a motorcycle trickle charger which came in today I'll be installing the direct leads to my batt tmrw probably!

Old March 17th, 2012, 12:25 AM   #9
ProdigyRacingLA
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by k24_cm7 View Post
Awesome thanks for the replies guys! I ended up using a 2A car charger for about 30 mins and it started right up! I've been riding it a lot the pas few days and the battery seemed weak from what I saw on my voltmeter.. But now everything seems to be better.

I also bought a motorcycle trickle charger which came in today I'll be installing the direct leads to my batt tmrw probably!
Right on!!